Turkey Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Turkey.
Dear celine,

Sorry for your loss and my sympaties go out to you and your family.
Caretta
What I am saying regarding these jeep safaris is the fact most of the jeeps look unroadworthy with older type jeeps from the 60's or 70's with no ABS, no power steering etc. I am not saying that this accident would not have happened in a new type jeep but feel that any driver would be able to have more control with a newer one. The other thing I don't like is the fact is that nothing is being mentioned and could not believe that no one had reported this accident on this forum making me also believe that all was being kept all hush hush. As for insurance covering this type of accident I don't believe any amount of money would cover the death of a family member. Sorry to go on but I feel very touched by the whole episode.
youve got to rember marmaris is a decent size and not many people will have heared about the accident ,im sure any 1 who has sound info will post the circumstances ,after all we all know how thinks can get changed when people start telling other people ,so maybe we will never know unless some knew the family or were staying in same apartments or where on same safari ,tragic to say the least
Celine, so sorry to hear about your mum. My sympathies are with you and your family.
me my husband and son went on the jeep safari last year great time but i was scared as the door at the back of the jeep kept becomming unlocked if we had not have grabbed the girl at the end of the jeep she would have fell out for sure the lock kept comming undone, also they do drive fast and mess about putting hands over their own eyes, the jeep in front of us kept breaking down and there was only one mechanic drive which we had he had to change the wheel on the jeep about 10 in front twice
Really sorry to hear about your mum Celine, my thoughts are with you and your family.

Take care

Catherine xxx
Celine my thoughts are with you & your family at this sad time

With regards to the jeep safari accident, i have just searched all of the news sites and cant find at dickie bird - which is really strange considering its a UK family involved - You would expect to read something about it if it was really that serious??

Also with regards to Insurance/Licensing - Not sure but i think they are pretty hot on it - I have been on a couple were we have been stopped by the Jandarma/Polis and they had to provide a host of documents - Not sure which though? Husband said it was insurance and our equivalent of MOT ? Maybe Chelsea boy may know more about the procedures?

At the end of the day you have to put these accidents in context, however sad. Thousands of these trips take place everyday throughout all of Turkey - accidents will happen

Regards

Leigh-Anne
Thanks for that Karina - That was posted friday, wonder how they are doing now :?:

LA
My thoughts are with you Celine and the people involved in the accident on the jeep safari...best wishes Gavin 8)
Hi,

I really don't want to put the dampers on things here but our Jeep Safari experience in Marmaris was awful.

There must have been about 12 jeeps all together with the head poncho leading from the front. If you happen to be landed with a nutter for a driver (like we were) then you're life is in his hands. We did protest and asked if we could get a taxi (from the wilderness) back to Marmaris (that's how bad it was) with no joy.
We were covered in bruises from the the drive, being tossed from one side of the jeep to the other. The crazy stunts he pulled were not only dangerous but really irresponsible. He just didn't give a toss. It was scary and never again

To say the jeeps were unroadworthy would be a bit of an understatement.
I was asked to help out by driving it from Icmeler to the final leg of Marmaris. It was only then I discovered that the handbrake didn't work at all and the foot brake was next to useless.

We also had to put up with the obligatory carpet factory visit (2hrs!) and quite a bit of (more) hanging around.

The only positive thing was the fantastic meal we had in the hills. A choice of freshly prepared trout from a nearby river (gutted/filleted to order) or
chicken fillets with a mountain of fresh Turkish salad etc.

Book carefully!
Celine sorry to hear about your mum. I didnt heard jeep safari accident. alltimes reading local newspapers there was nothing about it.
Celine I am so sorry for your loss and please accept my condolences and also from everyone at Icmeleronline.

John
no details as of yet :?

Anyway we went on one last year, yes the jeeps are not good, the drivers are crazy but we enjoyed it anyhow and never felt in that much danger,
we also went on one last year ,,enjoyable day till 2 drivers started fighting on way back ,,hammers and sticks were been used .kids screaming, was terrible ,all over who was going to drive in front ,,a day ruined more so for those with small children ,
Hi all. never been on the jeeps,but i spoke to a friend from work who has just returned from marmarise last week and he said that he went on the jeep safari and they to had a crash just after they went through some sort of river bed/water and the driver lost control and hit a tree.Seems to me whilst it sounds great fun i think the jeeps need upgrading to a more modern standard and the drivers need to calm down a bit . I have seen them pick people up and then return them to their hotels...allways at breakneck speed...Gavin 8)
So sorry to hear the sad news Celine and i do hope the injured people are ok? I have never been on the Jeeps and i wouldnt only blame them for accidents. I, or we, Love Icmeler but i'm sure that ALL Health and Safety rules go out of the window !!!!!!!!! We went on the Quad trip and a lady wanted to ride in a Buggy but there wasn't one left so she had to ride a Quad. She was shown were the brake and eccelerator was and that was it. Yes, half way round she came off and hurt her arm and side. On another trip, The Horse Safari. We were told there were NO hats and all they asked was "Have you riden before" All was well until a Turkish gent came roaring past on a Tractor and my Sons horse threw him to the ground. I was pushed in a bush of thorns and my legs were ripped to shreds. I went around a corner and saw my Son sprawled on the ground. I didnt know if my Son had broke his leg, back or arm and THANKFULLY he was ok and jumped back on the horse. Well, I'm sorry, but with seeing my Son on the floor I got off my horse and the air was BLUE. :evil: :evil: I walked ALL the way back to the base and its a wonder i wasn't locked in a Turkish jail with my attitude. When your on the horses you are taken through deep water and some horses are swimming !!!! Just think if your foot got stuck in a stirup and you fell in!! You could drown if you were at the back and no one saw you. Health and Safety I am sure, DONT check on most trips. I understand we go on trips on our own accord and aren't forced in to going but, things need changing fast in my eyes. Take care and happy hols H/T. Anna xxxxxxxxxxx
When we were in Icmeler last year - a family at out hotel booked a Jeep Safari but told the driver or person they booked with that they wanted to see some of the Countryside and visit beaches etc.

They came back having spent a great day exploring deserted beaches and lunched in a Village that they would normally never had visited.

I should have found out more then but does anybody have any idea where this type of Safari can be booked and how much it would be for 5 of us ?.

Toffeemen
It seems there are varying jeep safaris in different resorts. I gather generally in the Marmaris and surrounding areas there is something of a convoy of jeeps and the ensuing over enthusiasm (if that's what I can call it) of the drivers over the years has led them to be a bit reckless?

I have gone on two, the first from Fetiyhe where it was our group of 8 only, so two jeeps. Then this year there were 8 of us in one jeep. There were no water fights, the offroad was good fun but not perilous and we all had seatbelts on throughout the day.

For sure some of the trips in Turkey would never be allowed in this country but then you should be aware that safety standards abroad may not be as rigorous as it is in the UK. Also that other countries don't have the compensation culture that we do.

Check your insurance carefully to see what you are covered for. It's no comfort if the worst happens but they don't cover some activities for a reason and if they don't then you have to question why. Non covered activities that you have to pay an extra premium are activities which the insurance companies have had to pay out for.
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.