Turkey Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Turkey.
Oh dear sounds like a right holiday from hell,think you`ll ned another to recover from that one. :que
Bonita is a friend of mine,glad she helped you out :tup
god,what a nightmare, hope you still managed to have good time though.
seems turkish flights from glasgow are hit or a miss just now!we went enda may and had 7 hour delay going and 5 hour delay coming back. hubby swore never again would he fly....... :rofl good idea considering his family are in turkey and flying is our only way to see them-3 flights might i add grrrrrrrrrr,bloody eejit he is lol!x
So sorry about your hols, we had the holiday from hell last year so know how it feels. We were just so relieved to get back home.
Absolutely hate flying, and am getting anxious already, with just 2 weeks to go. The whole thing , from waiting for transfers, to the airport scramble, and the actual flight, has me waking in the night feeling sick to my stomach. Am already taking herbal remedies to calm me down!!!!
And we have experienced ordering a veggie option but being given a meat dish and asked to remove the meat, which just doesn't work for a true veggie - like one of our daughters, who does not want to eat food that has even come into contact with meat. So she went without, but of course we had already been charged for the meal.
Anyway, hope you are glad to be home, and at least enjoyed those last few days in Marmaris.
:(
All that happened to us had nothing to do with Turkey, it's just a shame it soured our first experience in it.

We have a young grandson & are thinking of taking him on holiday next July but would no even think of taking hm to Marmaris as it is far far too hot too take a baby ....are there any other coastal resorts in Turkey that have a cooler climate in July ?
Prices , weather ,people

Prices:- Beer 3tl - 5tl soft drinks are a bit of a rip off (cheaper getting kids to drink beer ;) :rofl )
Food set meals are the way too go most offer a good choice on menus, 15 tl - 17.50 tl
Eg :- Garlic Mushrooms ,Large nan bread with garlic dip, chicken fajitas,ice cream,coffee 16.50tl
this was in Angels on the main shopping strip street over from beach but many places offer
similar deals.
Best prices on the prom we found we in a small bar called RTJ's (Rambo,Tom & Jerry) free
sunbeds, sunshades good food & cheap big beer 3.5 tl.

Weather:- Hot Hot Hot 40's every day some days nudging 50's too hot to do much during day I have a
picture of time and temp ...23:30 & 28 dergrees

People :- Very friendly sometimes too friendly

Entertainment :- same as most places like this all over the med ...but for some reason Drag queens are
in qute a few bars :que not much in the way of entertainment for kids.
DOA, July will be scorching in most if not all of Turkey, most of the med is the same.
Why not give northern Italy a try, there are some no-frills flights to northern Italy, and if you head towards the mountains and lakes it will be a tad cooler. Also, there always seems to be loads for kids to do, perhaps because Italy is a bit wealthier than Turkey and has a better developed tourist industry.
Otherwise, if you just love Turkey, and I agree that it is hard to beat on value for money, with some delightfully unspoilt pockets of coastline, away from the hustle and bustle of Marmaris, I suggest you go out of season, and if it has to be in school holidays why not go at the end of May when kids get a week off and the temperatures in Turkey are more bearable for little ones.
What a holiday you had! i do hope you manage to get away soon :)
I think we all experience "the holiday from hell" from time to time,
our last one was Majorca 4 years ago, when our plane was delayed
by 5 hours,on both inward, and homeward flights.
The car hire firm had given up on us arriving, and we couldn't get
a car to the resort, and had to pay £120 for taxi's.
When we eventually got to the hotel we found they had double booked,
so had to sit around for another hour whilst they found alternative rooms,
in fact, the list of disasters was endless.
We've had no problems with any holidays since, but why do I get the feeling
we're "due" another disastrous trip soon? (I do hope not)!!!
Our holiday from hell was our honeymoon in Agadir last year.
We went the last week in May, first week in June.
Our accommodation was great but the weather was terrible. For the whole fortnight the resort was almost completely covered in sea fog, which blocked out any sun and brought down the temperatures to about 18 celsius. We hadn't packed any woollies so would sit by the abandoned pool wrapped in blankets from our room. Luckily for the last couple of days we went to Marrakech where the weather was scorching.
People joked about us not needing hot weather because we would keep each other warm, but instead of lovely sunny photos of our honeymoon all we have are photos of us looking like shivering wrecks, so was really happy that we went to Turkey this year, it more than made up for the honeymoon from hell we had in Agadir.
Lol. :)
I can relate to that suzy.
We went to Portugal for a fortnight mid June, 3 years ago, and spent a fortnight shivering,
as the sun failed to make an appearance, and a bitterly cold Northerly wind blew constantly.
I don't think I've ever seen Louis's bar so busy.
Well what else can you do but huddle up in a nice cosy bar and get pi**ed :que
Oh dear what a nightmare you had! This happened to my sister and her family from Gatwick to Dalaman at the end of May. They were flying with Thomson and myself and my family with Thomas Cook, both of our flights were meant to be departing around the same time at 8.00pm. To cut a long story short, our plane was delayed by 2 hours (which we didn't mind as we were enjoying ourselves in the VIP lounge) but my sister and her hubby were on their plane taxiing down the runway when it developed a technical fault. They all had to get off, get their luggage and be put up in a hotel and it was 9am the next day by the time they managed to take off. It wasn't until we arrived at the airport that my other sister, who didn't come with us and was at home, text me to let me know they were still in London and wouldn't be arriving at the hotel until around 3pm the next day. It wouldn't have been so bad if it was a 2 weeks holiday but as it was only a week losing a day shortens the holiday somewhat.
woww.. what a mess.. i hope next time you will be more lucky..
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.