Indian Ocean inc. Maldives/Mauritius & India Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in India and Indian Ocean.
Isola di Cocco
102 Posts
Hi Crimbs,

I take it that you mean sues hotel as the uday samudra had a small bar by the pool as for choice i dont think it was that good but only used it the once as we used the outside places as there was more variety and a bit cheaper.

As reguarding the swimming the sea is rough & unrelenting as we was on hawa beach and it certainly knocked me about and ended up scrapping my knees on the bottom as we tried other sections of beaches as well, but if you go to kavalom beach and right in the corner by the meridean hotel for some reason its very still and certainly brightened my holiday up knowing i could swim with no fear of any rough waves coming believe me this is the one & only ideal spot for swimming. :)
Hi going to Kerla over the xmas staying at Serenity at Kahn estate and Coconut Lagoon then Marari Beach will have my nine year old daughter with us. first time to India and booked on the net.wondering anyone stayed in any of these locations ?
Been to North Goa on numerous occasions and now thinking of heading to Kerala. Can anyone recommend which resort to be based at? I like beaches, bazzars, restaurants, bars

Any help much appreciated.
hope someone can tell me but I have been told Kerala is a dry state,
I think it is mostly dry, although you can get "teapot beer" at beach shacks and most hotels serve it freely. This is what I've been told by other travelers in Goa, have never ventured there myself!

Martin if you love Goa not sure you'll be too impressed with Kerela?? I met a guy a few years ago in Goa (in his late 40's). He normally spent his hols in Goa but like you he felt like a change so went to Kerela. He spent 3 days in Kerela (of a three week holiday), then got so bored that he hopped a train to Goa and spent two weeks in Baga before returning to Kerela for his flight. Maybe you'll love it there but i thought it was worth sharing.

Goldenflipflop
some advice, we are 50 somethings, is it best to spend a week in Kerala then 2 weeks in Goa, help please
Hi

We are travelling to Kerala for Christmas & New Year and are wondering what to expect. Have done Goa (Candolim and Palolem etc) a few times and fancied a change.

Could anyone tell me what to expect weather wise - brochure gave it same as Goa but websites give more rain and not as warm?! Also, what is the situation with alcohol we're hearing all sorts of stories.

Will be staying at Uday Samudra Beach Resort - so if any comments would be pleased to receive them.

Thanks, Kirstie
Hi Kirstie,

We went the same time last year and stayed at the same place if you get time please have a scroll down and have a look for the 'kerala subject'.

The weather was lovely and had only rain on new years eve night around oneish in the morning to be honest it did really pour down but lasted around three hours.

The hotel briefly would now consist of three main buildings as the one being built should be well completed by now needless to say we was residing in the old block and on first impressions wasant too impressed and did enquire about a upgrade in which would have worked out around a fifteen pounds a night and on reflection decided to stay in the origanol room and it worked out ok i reckon it was because the bathroom dident look the best was the main reason for our initial reaction it might pay you to try and find out what rooms you are being allocated and also i reckon we was comparing it to the marriot where we stayed in goa last year.
Rest assured you can get drinks out there as i normally drink bacardi and even thou i dident see many branded drinks as in the end i was drinking the indian white rum and imho tasted good egnouth for me and as my wife would say im quite fussy about my drinks and they will serve the beer either wrapped in brown paper or served in a crocked mug.

It might pay you to take a bottle or two of your favourite tipple as to give you time to find a place that sells branded spirits, we also took a bottle of champagne for new years eve but alas ended drinking it on new years day and this went down very nicely to the amusement of the indian waiters has they kept staring at the label as it was from another planet.

We never eat at the uday samudra but other residents said it was good but there are some great eating holes around the hotel you will have to try to waters edge which is at the back of the hotel ground on the beach and if you like fish please try the balti butter fish as i still maintain its one of the best meals iv tasted also try molly's on the road leading into the hotel its run by a englishwoman and is a excellent place to eat.

On lighthouse beach also try the german bakery espiecally if you can get a seat by the front balcony overlooking the beach and also the fusion bar also the same as the german bakery but enjoyed the food more at the bakery place also the beware the toilets is a hole in the floor nicely tiled and very clean but could be uncomfortable.

I cant see you being disappointed with kerala and we was thinking of going back this year but our friends asked if was interested in going to brazil and the thought of a new place tilted it for me, but as i have said on here i wouldent hesitate in going back to either goa or kerala and must admit slightly disappointed in not going back.

Hope this helps. 8)
Has anyone stayed at the Trancore Heritage in Kerala, we are going there in April for 2 weeks, and would like to hear any reviews of the hotel.
Been to Goa and Sri Lanka so anted to see how Kerala compares to these places.

Hope someone can help.
Cheers
Nessa
Hi there, we were next door in the Isola di Cocco in November 2004 and I think they were building the Travancore at the time.
Kerala is very beautiful but we were disappointed at not being able to swim in the sea due to the very strong currents.
Food was great and the hotel staff were helpful apart from when we were regularly woken up by the church services being transmitted through huge speakers in the nearby village... these could start at 04.30 and go on for hours.
We did speak to the staff but they thought we liked it so I would recommend some ear plugs.
I can also recommend washing the fishermen on the beach bringing the catch in but take some pens for the kids as well and they love posing for digital cameras so they can see their picture on the viewer.
We made some great friends on this holiday and would recommend Kerala.
I would also like to see you washing the fishermen on the beach :rofl :rofl
Thanks crimps, we always tae ear plugs anyway.

The travencore heritage isnt new I dont think, its in chowa is that where the coco was? How did you find tthe price of food and drink?

And did you go to trivandrum?
oooohhhhh looks lovley :wow You can see a photo tour from HERE

MrsMac
sorry, still reeeling from the idea of washing the fishermen on the beach... can't imagine what I was thinking of!
We did go to Trivandrum and it was very busy but lots of shops and certainly worth a day out.
Food and drink was reasonable and we ate out a lot in Kovalam in the evening as the taxis were plentiful and cheap. Loads of restaurants to choose from but you can get a bit fed up of the prawns.
Also if you get a chance to go to Land's End it is worth it as the temples and the sights are spectacular. Worth negotiating with a taxi driver to take you if you find one with suspension in his cab!
Some relatives are going there for Christmas and New Year though not all of the time at the travancore

Will post after their holiday

Supermum :D
I've not visited the India forum before so forgive me if my topic has been raised before!

We want to go to India in February and like the sound of Kerala. We do not want to do a package holiday as we'd rather travel under our own steam, but only have two weeks. Can anyone recommend places to stay/things to do/see that are 'must dos'. Not sure of our budget yet, but can cope with a mix of types of accommodation from the very basic to luxury...

Is using public transport possible there?

What is the weather like then?

Thanks!!!
Thinking of booking a holiday to kerala in October. Wanting a quiet beach holiday - sunbathing, swimming and snorkeling.

looking at pictures on the net the sea looks quite rough? Was wondering if anyone had been on this type of holiday and how they liked it? We would be looking to find accomodation out there. preferably somewhere quiet and secluded. Does anyone have any recommendation?

Still half tempted by Goa. Am 27 and wouldn't mind a bit of nightlife. Can anyone persuade me either way?

Would love to hear any advice.

Thanks
Personally I would prefer Goa everytime to Kerela.
We went to Kovalam a few years a go in November and had rain more a less every day which spoilt most of the holiday.
Not a lot to do in Kerela, with no night life as such just restaraunts along the beach.
In my opinion Kerela is slightly more backwards in its attempts at tourism.
Goa gets my vote every time.
Personally for me too Goa over Kerala. As alistair rightly put it, Kerala has miles to go on the tourism front.

You can have both in Goa, peace and quiet in the south (love Palolem) and enjoy the nightlife in the north. October is the start of the tourist season and would not be too crowded, even in the north. I recommend that you base yourself in the north- Baga /Candolim/Calangute and take a two day trip to the south in between.
However I dont know if you can snorkel in Goa, the water is not really clear in the Arabian sea, but i'm not too sure. Maybe somebody else from the forum can fill you in on this.

Cheers
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.