Indian Ocean inc. Maldives/Mauritius & India Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in India and Indian Ocean.
KERALA-
102 Posts
Thankyou for the reply, Kerala does look lovely the more I look up things about it.
Can anyone make my mind up, I am just about to book up to go to Poovar Island resort for Xmas and New Year and would appreciate any info that you may have.
It sounds lovely and very relaxing.
How easy is it to get out and about as it sounds a bit cut of from everything, which is OK but would be nice to explore the area.
Is alchohol available at the hotel (other than beer), if not is there any shops around where we can purchase some?
We went to Goa in April, which we thoroughly enjoyed, I understand Kerala is far more relaxed in comparison.
Also how hot will it be, Goa was extremely hot in April!

Thanks in advance
Jacqui
Hi Jacquisz,

Kerala is a lot quieter than goa, cant say for poovar island resort and you would have to check about the alchohol as it is available but it is restricted and will come out in various disguises ie wrapped up in brown paper or served in crockery mugs.

Its a perfect chill out place with only hotel entertainment for entertainment but there are some great eating places.
Also try http://www.indiamike.com and click on minor destination and then click on kerala as there is loads of information on there or ask a question on there. :wink:
have a look here for some info
Jacqui we were in the neighbouring hotel last december. It is beautiful but remote and you're a bit stuck aout there. There is nothing within walking distance so you'll have to get a boat off the island and a taxi
We had a great time but you can't swim oin the sea and our hotel had no bar so there was nowhere for people to meet and chat in the evenings (and we met some great people),
We were a bit stir crazy by the end of two weeks!
C
Thanks for your replys as always they have been very helpful.
We decided to book and although I am a bit apprehensive of being in an isolated place, I'm sure we will be able to relax which is what we are really looking for. So we are off on the 22nd December.
If anyone has any more advice/reviews they will be very much appreciated.

Jacqui
I will be in Kerela for 3-4 nights in begining of April can anyone recomend good cheap guest house. Also how much a house boat for tyhe night is.

Thanks
Try http://www.keralatourism.org or http://www.indiamike.com

Also on today at 15.30 to 16.30 on bbc2 it features kerala it is mainly about buying property in kerala but also it gives alot of info reguarding food, shopping etc. :wink: :wink:
Hi Goamike
In my original post we were due to be staying at the Poovar Island resort but after seeing some dreadful reviews decided to change to the Uday Samudra hotel which I see you stayed at over Christmas last year. Please can you give me some of your experiences of the hotel and any recommendations you have on places to eat, shop and visit, and also take out with us, we have already purchased a load of pens to give to children and was thinking of getting some sweeties too, we did the same when we went to Goa back in April and they were really appreciated.
This is the first time in 26 years of marriage that we have been away from our family at Christmas and want to make it as memorable as we can, although hopefully not as memorable as last year must have been for you and all those in that part of the world for very different reasons.
Many thanks
Jacqui
Hi Jacquisz & Kirstie,

We had letters about building work and voiced our concerns with the tour operator <manos> this was just to have on record if we did complain afterwards but everything was fine for us has there was hardly any noise and was surprised that one couple was moaning about it but theykept comparing things to goa so kerala was never going to 'win' in there eyes anyway.

Which tour operator are you going with Jacquisz?

I did do a detailed report and if you search around im sure it will come up again somewhere.

The uday hotel is basically two section the old section <where we was> and the new section and there will be anewer section by now as that was the building taken place whilst we were there, i must admit our first impression was to get a upgrade in which we enquired about but once we got back to the room the better half had changed her mind and we decided to stay to be honest the only thing putting us off was the bathroom which looked grubby but on ispection it was just the basic decoration of the bathroom we did not also have a bath.

We never eat at the hotel but was told the food was good on the beach you have the 'waters edge' restuarant which is a excellent place to eat and if you like fish try the special balti butter fish as it is excellent, by the way if you eat here often during the holiday dont pay for their sunbeds espiecally if you are buying drinks & food as well.
Also please try mollys which is on the main road going into the uday samudra hotel run by a english lady this would have to be my favourite one as the setting is lovely and the food once again is excellent as most of the food in kerala is as it is freshly cooked and they will say you will wait forty minutes or so which is well woth it when it comes.

On lighthouse beach also try the german bakery which overlooks the beach if you can get a front seat in which we did and also fusion which also overlooks the beach but good food to be had in both of them but the toilet in fusion is just a hole very clean and nicely tiled but could be uncomfortable for women we also tried the rock cafe once again food very good but found the seating uncomfortable as they sunk into the sand <all the wieght i was carrying at the time>.

The best place for a swim is on the next beach heading towards lighthouse beach if you head to the far corner where the hotel is you will be able to swim to your hearts content as it must be protected by the rocks sticking out as you will see that its quite rough on most parts of other beaches.

Its a very chilled out place and the plus for me was the fresh food and would have been back this xmas but my friend persuaded me to try brazil.

Also the weather was excellent when we was there and it went cloudy on our last afternoon.

Dont hesitate to get in touch if i can help you with anything else. :wink: l
Thanks for the info.
We are also travelling with First Choice and haven't received any letters about the building work but thats probably more due to the fact that we only booked last week! However when I originally looked at the hotel on the website it was made clear that building work was in progress and due for completion December/January which seemed to apply to a number of hotels as the Poovar Island which is where we were going initially also said the same. However, when we changed our booking last week to Uday Samudra the guy on the phone did tell us about the work still going on and said it was mainly internal now and was scheduled for completion at the end of December, apparently the heavy monsoons delayed the progress. He also said that most of the rooms only had showers, which is preferable to us but maybe not so good for children??

You said in your report that the weather was excellent, how hot approx, and were the evenings still warm?

Goa in April was extremely hot and humid all the time, the only places that were comfortable was the AC rooms and down on the beach in the evenings!
Still loved it though and will definately return some day soon hopefully.

Actually building work started on that hotel towards the end of our holiday and although it was fairly extensive and you had to walk past it on the way down to the beach it certainly wasn't invasive as they don't seem to use any heavy machinery. In fact all the rubble etc was carried of the site in baskets on their heads to an awaiting lorry on the main road!

My husband went to HCI yesterday and picked up the visa's without any hitch, now we just need to get the malaria tablets (yuk)!
The weather was around 30 degrees and very humid on the evening, so humid that i saw a couple of people faint whilst eating their meals.

The only downfall is the monarch flight its so cramped. :wink:
Can anyone tell me if cigarettes are easy to buy in Kovalam and if so are they the real brands or fakes?
In Goa we were offered very cheap, cheap and the real thing versions of B&H!
Hi again!

Next question - are the mossies are problem and does anyone know if malaria is around this time of year? Trying to sort out packing and don't know whether to take long sleeve or short (totally girly I know!) also little one is being sick trying to get mossie tablets down so wondered how much of a risk it really is.

Also, is it too hot for long sleeves at night or does it cool down like Goa does this time of year?

Thanks, Kirstie

P.S. Thanks Goamike for all your info so far - you've been a great help!
Check out Trip Advisor. A review of the Travancore Heritage was posted there last week and it sounds fab.
First time on this site - please excuse any errors!! We're also going to Travencore Heritage in April, does anybody have information about the best way to obtain local currency. We're happy to take travellers cheques, but would prefer to use an ATM if there is one reasonably handy to the hotel.
BLT when in April are you going and with which tour operator??
I am off to Kovalam soon, an cannot believe there are no updates for a few years, surely someone must have been to Kerala and have something to report?
Rav,

I assume you are back from Kerala now. We are off next February- doing all arrangements myself. Flying to Trviandrum- then a stay at Kovalam for a couple of weeks and then up to Alleppeye for a few days and then on to Cochin for a few days and the fly back from Cochin.

Being as you have been recently would like to hear what you thought of it all etc etc etc

regards
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.