Indian Ocean inc. Maldives/Mauritius & India Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in India and Indian Ocean.
KERALA-
102 Posts
Thank you for your help!

This is such a good site for finding out the nitty gritty...

Cheers
I don't know anything about Kerala, but I think you should try the public transport [bus] at least once, It is an experience not to be missed.
In February weather is nice here. Day temperature will be about 30 degrees. We have a lot of beautiful places here, most of the tourists are happy to be at Kovalam beach, Periyar wild life sanctuary, Munnar, Cochin and backwaters of Alleppey.
It is true that sea can be rough at times here in Kerala. There is no much night life here, except some restaurants at Kovalam. Goa is far better than kerala for nightlife. About resorts, there are some peaceful sea side resorts here.
Travancore Heritage is one of the best hotels here. Recently they have added some more rooms to meet the demand of the guests.
The sea is very rough in kerala, but i do know the one place where to go and that is on kavolam beach not to be confused with light house beach and the one place is by the le meridean beach hotel right in the corner and you can safely swim out there to your hearts content as i used to do most days when we stayed at the uday samudra beach hotel.

I agree with most people that goa is far more advanced than kerala but i really enjoyed kerala as its the perfect chill out place and apart from hotel entertainment & restuarants on light house beach thats about it, but i still say the food in goa is very good but in kerala i reckon it went up a further notch imho. :)
Try http://www.indiamike.com and click under minor destinations and then kerala. 8) 8)
Hi going to be in Kerla at xmas 3 days in Cochin and 6 at Marai beach resort wondering if there was anything special to do like ie. scuba diveing,dolphin watching, cattamaran parasailing or even bungee jumping any ideas or been there done that,s would would great :? :?
There isn't much water sports here. Sometimes we can see dolphins at Cochin while doing boating in the lake near sea. Catamaran rides are also possible at some sea side resorts.
Hi there info is there any deep sea fishing along the coast near where you are ? Myself and my 9 year old daughter love a bit of adventure :idea: I will be staying near Mararikulam anything you can suggest would be greately appreciated as its our first time to India and Kerla
Hi guller
Deep sea fishing is possible as you can always find catamarans and fishermen along the coast. If you are seeking adventure you can negotiate with fishermen and go on their catamaran. I know some English ladies who went on catamaran rides at night !! Also even if you are in a private resort as you walk along the coast you will see fishermen and their catamaran, regardless you are at marari, or any private resort south of kovalam. Also you can check with the hotel if they arrange any watersport. If they don't, just walk out on the beach and talk to fishermen.
Kerela is beautiful - laid back - backwater trips and lots more but be aware that it is also a Alcohol dry state - so drinking only in hotels - also mostly vegetarian and make sure you are correctly dressed at all times - legs covered etc. the same as the locals if you can. :P Brian
Thanks Info for the info we will be in Delhi 10 weeks from today and down to Kerala for xmas :c a n t w a i t :D
Hi Guller,

I got a new job in a resort , so I will not have time for the forum any more. I have a little advise, some of the posts in forums are highly opinionated. You do not have to take everything seriously. Have a great holiday. :lol:
don`t know if "info" is having a go at me - but shorely most posts are opinionated by the fact that the advise given is by someone that has "been there and done it"! For interest there is an awful lot to learn from the forum and the wealth of help and "opinionated advise" posted in good faith by members of HT - Don`t expect "info" will read this due to work pressures!! though.
if kerela is a dry state, then that "happy birthday mug" i got night in night out containing kingfisher beer, gin and tonic et al, should have had pg tips or the keralan equivelant :D .
By law its dry, but everywere i went sold alcohol if maybe a little over the odds in price, but the food is sooooooooo cheap it balances out pretty quickly. As for being vegetarian mainly, i didnt really notice that, though my favorite snack was dal and cheese and tomota chapati, sounds disgusting but tastes beautiful, but to be honest the meat wasnt up to much. The seafood was so much better, fresh, cooked to your liking and damn good. I had a meal on light house beach with a peice of fresh barracuda, salad, and rice, and 2 beers for 350rp, it was so cheap i thought they'd made a mistake. Ive quite possibly lost the train of this thread banging on about kerela but, its the way forward.went alone and made so many friends, two of which im still in contact with a year later.x
Hi Sunshinegirl enjoyed your post . Six weeks to go doing the golden triangle for 5 days and down to Kerala for 10 more 1 Cochin 2hill station 4 backwaters and last 3 at beach .looking forward to food especially shellfish can you remind me again how mutch for a barracuda meal ? 35 euro for a 2lb lobster in a resturant in Dublin ands thats without the veg crasy or what ? One more question were the mozzies a nightmare and what was your defense, anything i really should do there bearing in mind i have a nine year old [ going on 15] princess with us. ps first timers
Hi there Guller. The Barracuda meal was in a medium to large size place half way down Light House beach, which was half open air, and half under shelter. I cant remember the name. But the price stuck in my head. 150rs for your food. About £1.50, you do the Euro math. And if its lobster you like take your pick. Mummy ones, daddy ones, and dead before there first birthday ones, all tasting realllllllll good. I had a lobster meal on x-mas night and was licking my fingers. There's another place called The Rock, which is great for lunch, a early afternoon beer or 3 and the entertainment is great and thats just the owner. They do indian traditional dancing to. If you and youR family fancy a day of 5 star luxury take a taxi to a resort called Poovar about 2 hrs away. It is unbelievable. Eat in the restraunt and your boat ride from the jetty to the resort is free.Dont let them rip you off and try and charge you anyway, like they did to me, when the policy is written in black and white in the place were you board, but thats a whole different story. And you'll have a laugh if you decide to leave the resort and get the 1 minute boat over to the beach. You get your only person security guard. Not because its unsafe, but because its a real local beach. Im a female travelling alone and I felt perfectly safe there. I hope this helps, and say hello to Kerela for me. I think I left my heart there. njoy.x
Hi, Never been to India but thinking of Kerala for February 07, wondering if it is possible to go to Kerala for one week then onto the Maldives for a week. I am worried about Kerala as it is the unknown to me and wonder if a week to start with might be enough. Thanks.
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.