UK and Ireland Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in the UK and Ireland.
Thanks again marcuschap72

Just taken a look and you do still get a 50% discount if booked through lastminute.com :tup
as suggested in the "General" forum - double posting to here for further ideas.........

Have managed to stretch our exceedingly limited budget this year to a midweek 2 night break in the capital as a "holiday" for the three of us (myself and pair of mid-teens, M & F) with the help of travelodge Euston cheapy room and advance super saver (take-all-week-to-get-there-but-it's-half-the-price-of-Virgin!!) train tickets on London Midland.

Haven't been to London for a couple of years but have in the past "done" the museums, and eye. Son (autistic) loathes the shops.

will arrive Mon lunchtime (31 august) and leave Weds early evening.

Am looking for inspiration for CHEAP things to do/ways to get around / places to go/eat in or around the city as would like to make it an enjoyable family visit - the first time we have got away together for a couple of years now. Any suggestions gratefully received

Thnx !!!
where to start? It depends what sort of thing you like doing. Harrods to see how the other half lives 7 at the other end of the scale - petticoat lane market. Enjoy a glass of wine while listening to the musicians in Covent Garden. The changing of the guard, Madame Tussards, The London Eye, Tower Bridge, an open top bus trip jumping off at anywhere that appeals to you - the list is endless. Now that we're older we just go with the flow & the weather of course :)
Can highly recommend the pet department in Harrods if you want a laugh, diamond collars for thousands, four poster beds on a serious note the food hall is to die for :cheers
Just had a few thoughts about the shopping scenes all over the world and ive got to say that I really prefer the London scene - with its highstreets, retailers and designers! They are just great! The other day I saw a Kiosk which was designed by Wayne Hemingway (A high profile fashion designer) and the purpose of this kiosk was to give emerging fashion designers the opportunity to sell their goods. How great is that?Its nice isn't it - that people still care? At this Kiosk you will find one-off pieces that are beautiful. I would recommend going :)
Hiya my other half and I are off to London on Saturday morning, we will be coming back on Sunday late afternoon/evening. We are on a budget so staying at the Jurys Inn Heathrow, managed to get a room for £39- bargain!! He is off to watch a football match in Brentford on saturday afternoon so we only have a couple of hours on saturday as well as the evening, and then all day sunday. I am looking for things to see/do on a budget! We have done the London eye, buckingham palace, tower bridge etc- I have a BOGOF for Madame Taussads which is an option or we were thinking possibly the natural history museum (Ive never been and its free :tup) also looking for a nice but cheap restaurant for dinner. I know there are hundreds but recommendations would be good.
Thanks x
If you like Pizza and Pasta - the "Ask" resturant chain are doing 3 courses for £12 this weekend - you can check their website for locations, but there are 4 or 5 in central london
http://www.askweekendmenu.co.uk/
thanks for the replies, I like ASK so we will print off the voucher. I am not going to the football now (other half still is) so I am going to go in to town and do some shopping. I fancy having a look at the Primark in Oxford street!! :tup
The football is at Brentford, I know there is a tube stop near our hotel 'Hatton Cross' and he can get off at South Ealing, however apparantly the overground station is closer to the ground? Anyone know the easiest way from Heathrow/Hatton Cross to Brentford station?
Cheers
The Piccadilly line runs straight from Heathrow to South Ealing, you could then stay on the train to head up town.
He can hop on a bus outside South Ealing station (on the other side of the road) to get to Brentford football ground, number 65, you want to get off at the stop after the Great West Road. There are lots of entrances to the ground and huge crowds so make sure you know which one you want if you intend to meet him after the match.

Have a good weekend.

PS: Mum supports Brentford. :tup
Thanks SilverPixie that sounds like a plan, my other half supports Bristol Rovers so will be in the away fans section. Just as a thought, what is the parking like around the football ground?
Just as a thought, what is the parking like around the football ground?

It's been some years since I've been and it was never very good then, I would imagine by now they have resident parking permits.

This link gives you some good info. http://www.brentfordfc.co.uk/page/GettingToGriffinPark/0,,10421~403951,00.html

If you decide not to go up to the city while your other half is at the match you could get the 65 bus in the opposite direction into Ealing Broadway where you'll find enough shops to keep you busy.

I always get told off for saying this but please keep a close eye on your handbag both on the tube and while shopping, the professional pickpockets can be in and out in a second. Personally I put my phone and purse in a little leather bag round my waist and wear my main bag across my body. Don't be tempted to buy perfume from street sellers as its fake.

Hope you have a great weekend. :tup
Just had a thought, Kew Gardens is just a bit further on the same bus route if its of interest. http://www.kew.org/
Keep wanting to go and see a show in London but the cost soon adds up. If I could get some reasonably priced tickets, I would love t0 go during school half term in October. What site(s) do you recommend for best deals for show tickets please?
Thanks
Lastminute are usually good on prices shirley and usually have some deals on too .
I was going to say the same thing. They do a meal & theatre ticket deal, also a hotel & theatre deal.
Thanks both. Think I'll take a look there now.
Hi Shirley,

Some shows have day seats available at the thearte from about ten to ten thirty in the morning, perhaps these are not suitable for you with children but Hairspray is a super show that youngsters can't fail to enjoy £60 seats for £25, Wicked has them but more difficult to get, We sat on the front row at the Palladium for Sister Act for £25. Just a thought also the half price box in Leicester Square is good but do not always have the more popular shows, but only use the genuine tkts box in the corner in front of the Odeon.
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.