UK and Ireland Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in the UK and Ireland.
Euston charges £6.49 per bag in left luggage these days.

Travelodge is right opposite but wont store bags.

I think the exhibition hall at Earls court stores bags but not sure, i find it easier to dump bags at Euston then you dont have to worry about them all day!
Short notice i know. but us 4 are travelling to london tomorrow, , family day out etc. now im ok with the underground and ive been on the site, to see times, prices etc, but one single trip from euston to south kensington, is £4 per adult one way?? now if its right its going to be an other additional cost to an already expensive day out, ( for us), i see there is a card you can buy , and fares are lots cheaper,,, is it worth getting one for one day,,,,how much are they etc,if we dont know how much tubing we are going to be doing?
cheers
Hilda, you want a one day travelcard for zones 1 & 2, which will cost you £5.30. You do NOT want an Oystercard in any shape or form, as they carry a £3 deposit unless you buy a weekly (or longer) ticket.
Your travelcard allows you unlimited travel within zones 1 & 2 (i.e. central London) on tubes AND busses.
thanks all, took me ages to find my post, could have sworn i posted a new thread about it?? no notice of it being moved,,, i even searched " view your posts," nothing
anyway... back on planet earth.
thanks for those bits of info,,,,,,, Doon , seen your reply on tother site!!

ill go take a look now at the link
hilda

right to 2 adults unlimityed travel on zones 1 and 2 are £5,30, kids a quid each??
Adults are £5.30 each, yes, and kids are either £1 or £2 each
cheers doon,,,,,,,,,, been today,, got me travel cards,,,,,,,, rained all day, sopping wet,,, but kids enjoyed it, saw everything we wanted,,,, and even tho only used the cards there and back it still saved us a lot,,,,,, and was there just in case,,, we could have popped on a tube anywhere if we liked and not worry,
thanks
me feet are killing

xx :D
Hi Hilda (back on planet earth :rofl )

I took my daughter up to London on Tues and the kids price was 2 quid to go anywhere during the day. That was the tube, but I think you can hop on the buses with the same pass. I think to get the kids 2 quid travel card you have to be in possession of one yourself. :think
Doe

Edit : :oops: :oops: Ignore me I've just realised you have been today. :duh
he he, my eldset sons car was £1,,,,,, little son had to go on front of me when i went thru,,,, it was very handy knowing it gave bus access too,,,,, but im not really familiar with bus routes tho i did look at a map on one of the stops,, seemed simple enough,,,, next time its the other end of london, the Tower,,, Covent Garden etc British museum.
xx
Glad you had a good one and worked it all out. :tup I think my daughter's card might have been 2 quid because she is 15. :think perhaps the price varys with age, with under 11's being free.

It's quite good being able to use the buses and just get on and off as you need.

Apart from the lack of commentary you can probably cover the same routes on London transport as they do on 'The Big Bus Company's' open topped bus tours that you see all over the place, but for a fraction of the price.

Doe xx
Another great place is the Rain Forest Cafe. Don't be put off by lines - they go quickly and kids just love it. j
Please can anyone give me a guesstimate of a taxi fare from Old Street underground/City Road area to Buckingham Palace?
My Guesstimate would be £13...perhaps we should have a prize for whoever gets closest! J
Cheers Johnbeau, sounds reasonable. let you know if you were correct in about 5 weeks time!
Hi
I'm taking my niece (by organised coach) to London next month to see a matinee performance at a theatre, then we have overnight accommodation in a Home Counties Hotel and on the Sunday we are taken to Covent Garden for free time.
I think we'll have around 4 hours.

Can anyone please advise me if there is enough there to occupy us.

Alternatively, would it be possible to take the tube to Westminster or Waterloo (Victoria line then Jubilee) and go on the London Eye?
How often do the underground trains run on Sunday mornings?
What are the queues like on Sunday mornings in August?
If I could find out when we'll arrive in Covent Garden, I could prebook London Eye tickets.

Or would a better option be Buckingham Palace?

Or Oxford Street/Regent Street?

Thanks
hi prettypollycat
we were in london last month and we took our 12 year old son with us. i would say that four hours would be a long time to keep an eight year old happy. there was some good street theatre on show which would last about half hour. this would then change with another set of performers starting but we found they would be doing mostly the same act (juggling, unicycle, etc). there was a great joke stall which my son stood by again for about half hour where the stall owner would show him any trick that was on offer, ended up spending about £10 there but great fun. plenty of eating places but may be a bit expensive.
convent garden is a very central location and you would be able to walk quite easily to the london eye, just down the hill to the embankment and across the bridge (you wont miss it). not sure about the tube as we never used it. might be a good idea to pre book london eye as there was a long queue when we went.
alternatively regent street also walkable, we went to hamleys which was a real dissapointment for ourselves and our son but still great to see some sights as i think you would walk through trafalgar square from covent garden which was lovely.
john
Hi,

I think that you could find that there's lots to keep her occupied on a Sunday in August in and around Covent Garden! There will be a constant succession of street performers doing their stuff in the central piazza in front of St Paul's Covent Garden. They tend to be very family orientated ones of a weekend - jugglers, clowns, lots of audience participation etc. If the weather is good you could easily spend 4 hrs there by the time you've also had something to eat (in my experience an 8 yr old can never go more than 4 hrs without re-fuelling!) and she's had a good nosy around the market stalls with some spending money. You'll find that there's lots of stuff that will attract the magpie eyes of an 8yr old girl (or even a grown-up girl!).

If the weather is bad then obviously you don't want to be trailing around in the rain but as John says, nearly everywhere you mention is actually within walking distance of Covent Garden but, yes, if the Eye is a 'must see' for you then you are always better booking in advance. But if she's not been to London before, have you thought about taking her on one of the London open top bus tours? You could pick this up in Trafalgar Square - only a short distance from Covent Garden and then be hopping on and off it as took your fancy. It's a good way of visting all the main sights in a relatively short time.

SM
Wow!
Thanks for the info, guys.
It sounds like we'll have lots of options (but sadly, not enough time to do everything).

Fingers crossed for good weather.
Booked a holiday for October. Staying in the Express by Holiday Inn at Victoria. What is it like for restaurants round here and are they child friendly?

We're planning on doing the London Eye about 7pm so would we be better eating in Victoria or near the London Eye on the first day?

Am planning on getting Lion King tickets for the Saturday as well as a trip to Hamley's.

Sunday is Madame Tussauds and wandering.

Monday will be whatever before our flight at 6.30pm.

Any other suggestions? Our children will be nearly 6 and 8.
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.