UK and Ireland Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in the UK and Ireland.
Hi Sunseeker,

No, I don't know this hotel personally, but I have heard of it.

Any 5* hotel with river views, especially of Tower Bridge, Houses of Parliament etc, should be excellant.

You'll be within walking distance of Covent Garden too (5 minutes if that.)

Sounds nice from your description.

Be sure to walk along Waterloo Bridge in the evening - the view of London from there is spectacular.

Strawberry

Strawberry
Hi, we're hoping to have a couple of nights in London next week, but as trains are coming back so expensive, we're thinking we'll have to drive, :( so we're looking for recommendations for hotels in London with parking facilities.
Don't know London very well, so not sure where we'd like to be, only that if it's not central we need easy tube access.

Thanks in advance for any help :)

Sunaholic.
Hi sunseeker, this is a link to the fire service museum in Southwark
http://www.london-fire.gov.uk/about_us/our_history/visit_our_museum.asp it gives opening times, admission prices etc, also a map. I only know of it because hubby works at the training centre which is in the same grounds. It's not huge, but does have some memorabilia. Hope this helps you, have a great time.

Deb.
Sunaholic

We stayed at the Wembley Travelodge back in June and there's parking available at the hotel. Don't know if it's close enough to the things you're interested in but you can read my review HERE.

Pippy :D
Thanks Pippy, the Wembley Travelodge sounds relly good and is great value, but I think if we're staying out of the centre we'd like to be a little closer to a tube station, as we'd like to catch a show and don't fancy a long walk back at night.
Thanks, :)
Sunaholic.
Hi Sunaholic,

There's lots of reasonably priced hotels around the Victoria and Euston area of London. They're both very close to the centre and have excellant transport links.

Hope you have a fab time!

Strawberry
hi sun

another option may to stay somewhere either end of the central line for example. I live in woodford on the central line and the journey is half an hour into central london. there is the gants hill travelodge which has a carpark and again 10 min walk to the central line station of the same name.or for a nicer area around epping forest of loughton, epping etc but probably pricier. that end of the central line will take you through east london as far as leytonstone, then you start moving in to essex. but all no more than 30-45 mins into central london.
http://www.tfl.gov.uk/assets/downloads/colourmap.pdf
Debdon thanks for that link - very pleased to hear there is one in London - especially as my hubby is in the Fire Service.

Regards
Karen
Please could someone inform me as how the toll charges work in London whilst driving through a congestion zone.

I have bee led to believe you can visit a garage before you get to one and pay?

What is the easiest way?
The easiest way sun is to pay over the phone or on the internet but yes I believe you can pay in shops and garages.you dont need to pay before you go into the zone as long as you pay I believe it is before midnight on the day . If my hubby drives into london over the course of his working day he just tells me when he gets home and I pay over internet or phone

http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/Diol1/DoItOnline/DG_4017688
Hi Sunseeker,

You only need to pay the congestion if you drive in the zone between Monday-Friday (7am-6pm) Evenings and weekends are free.

If you drive in the congestion zone (not all parts of London have the cc) you'll see big road signs with the letters CC in red when you're about to enter the zone.

It costs £8 for the day (you can leave and enter the zone as often as you wish during that time) and you must pay it by midnight latest - otherwise you will be charged £10 the next day. You only have up until midnight of the following day to pay it, otherwise you will be fined £50.

I always pay on the internet - it's far quicker and easier that way.

Strawberry
hi all seasoned travellers, wondering if you can help me.
Due to venture to London, the O2 dome for an expo, in December, with car..wondering if anyone knows of a familyish hotel to stay, for 2 adults, 2 kids and baby, whereabouts I should stay, I guess I'm looking for round Docklands, but honestly will go anywhere that's decent..oh and has a carpark, not asking for much am I?

Thanks guys,
Hi Chrislg ... in addition to any information you might pick up here in this thread, you may also like to check out our 02 ARENA topic.

David :wave
Does anyone know the best place for a great deal on theatre tickets? We are taking our two youngest to London in January and would love to take them to see a show. Full price tickets are so expensive so I would be grateful if any of you know how to get discounted ones. Thanks
Ruby I have booked mine through http://www.superbreaks.com but this also incoperated a hotel stay as well.
It was a cheaper option than booking tickets and hotel seperately too. We are off to see Dirty Dancing and The Sound Of Music in November.
RubyRed, if you are prepared to take pot luck and queue for a while, then the best option price wise is the box on Leicester Square. Don't worry about finding it, you can't miss it! They get rid of returns etc on the day of the performance. When I used it regularly I used to take a late lunch and get there for about 2pm when there would be a decent range of tickets available for that evening for literally a few pounds.

Perhaps someone who has used it recently can advise of the best time now?

Ebay is always worth a look too.
hi - http://www.lastminute.com usually have discount tickets
Had a fab time in London - did lots too. We went to see 2 shows. Sound Of Music , which was really good - but what a dissapointment Dirty Dancing was :(
Hi.
I'm wondering if anyone can recommend a central London hotel that is good value? I want to book a night in a hotel and theatre tickets for my grandparents for xmas, but don't have a huge budget. I am thinking that I would like the hotel room to cost less than £100 and while I have been to London a few times, the hotels that I have stayed in have cost more than this. I would be really grateful for any help you could give me with this. :)
Sunaholic.
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.