UK and Ireland Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in the UK and Ireland.
Hoxton Hotel, London

We were lucky enough to get a room for £1 a night when they did an online promotion a couple of months ago. Was just wondering if anyone has any tips for restaurants/bars and things to do in the area of the hotel? Its near Old Street tube station. There is just me and my DH, we already have a restaurant (in a different area) planned for one of the nights and the Tate Modern during the day.
HELP!!! i am 40 in 2 weeks and fancy a weekend break in london. i've been researching it and i'm no nearer booking anything!thinking of getting the train down which goes to st pancreas but is it best to get a taxi from there to where we stay?don't really want to use the underground as it scares me (wimp i know).we want to be central to the tourist attractions and any advice on what to see as its 10 years since i last visited and that was to the natural history museum (which my husband thought was buckingham palace :rofl so you can see we need all the help we can get :thanks
Hi :D

Liz,

Well Grease is near Picadilly and Joseph is The Strand, they're just about walking distance but certainly not close to each other. They're also very central so you'll be hard pushed to find anything cheap in the area. If you're lucky enough to get Travelodge Covent Garden at a good rate that would be very convenient. You might be better looking at Kings Cross area as it's cheaper and has good tube connections for both theatres. There's two Travelodges here which again are good value if you get a discount rate or you could try Wardonia Hotel which is a comfortable, clean budget hotel and only £55 a night for a double en-suite.
It's unlikely there'll be any cheap tickets for these shows as i'm guessing demand will be pretty high but if you check out http://www.theatremonkey.com they'll list who's selling tickets and what the charges are.

Sunnygirl,

I always find Russell Square/Bloomsbury handy if you're arriving at St Pancras, it's about 10-15 mins walk or £5-7 in a taxi. http://www.imperialhotels.co.uk have several hotels in this area, there's also Montague On The Gardens if you feel like treating yourself to something a bit more special and Grange Holborn if you like somewhere with a swimming pool/gym. If you don't want to use the tube you've got the British Museum, Oxford St, Covent Garden, British Library, West End, etc all in walking distance. For attractions a little further you could get a pass for the open top bus which stops at Russell Sq and covers all the major tourist destinations.
Sarong,

Don't know that area particularly well but i know Jamie Oliver's restaurant Fifteen is close to Old Street tube and there were plenty of bars close by. The main restaurant at Fifteen is a real treat but pretty costly and often gets booked up. They also have a Trattoria upstairs where they book a certain amount of tables but leave some free for walk-ins and prices are much more reasonable.
hi marcuschap72 :lol: thanks for all your tips, i'm sure they will help me finally book something before its too late :roll: :wink:
Has anyone enjoyed a stay at this hotel at all? Any feedback appreciated :lol:
Thanks Marcuschap
The travelodge Covent Gard was not available but thanks to you at least I know what region to look for basic accomodation not miles away.
Any more good hints and tips?
Wanted to book Grease for Friday eve
Joseph Sat Eve
And if poss Lord Of the Rings for sat matinee.
Do you get deals for booking a few shows at once?
Cheers Liz.
They don't give discount for booking a few shows together. If you check on theatremonkey they'll let you know of any promos/offers but i don't think there'll be alot of offers with them being new shows. The best prices seem to be from the 'TKTS' booth in Leicester Square, just turn up on the day of the show and see what's available, i doubt they'll have any for these shows till the popularity wanes a bit though.
For anyone attending an event at Wembley Stadium/Arena, I can personally recommend the WEMBLEY TRAVELODGE as a place to lay your head before/after the event.

Pippy :D
any ideas for places to visit, and good food near st pauls, and where are the nearest theatres, is the west end far. have never been to london before going this weekend for the diana concert
I can only recommend the accommodation but I can promise you you'll find the stadium awesome! I was there on the 16th June.

Pippy :D
We are planning on having a few days in London later on in the year, and want to visit the Science Museum, Natural History Museum and the Imperial War Museum.

We are unsure where the best place to stay would be. We would be using the train, and coming into Paddington.

We want an area that is close to everything, and with plenty of places to eat and things to see/do in the evenings

Any London locals that can offer me some advice?
Not a local but have a look at South Kensington area. You'd be in walking distance of Natural History, Science, Victoria and Albert Museums awell as Hyde Park and Harrods/Knightsbridge.
Hi

I'm taking the kids [both under 10 years] over to London during the 2nd week of September 2007. Staying in the Marble arch area.

ANy suggestions of what is available for the kids [ that is things to do, sights to see] and where to take them to eat. Nothing expensive. ANy excursions.
I have already considered the London ZOO, Natural History and Science Musuems. Might take them to a LEGOLAND in Windsor. ANy suggestions as to how to acquire any discounted tickets.

Thanks beforehand for any info. I appreciate it.
Hi Louise

if the weather is nice take a walk along the southbank - you can walk from the eye down river - take in tate modern, and the globe theatre, plus there will be street entertainers along the way - the cross the millenium bridge to St Pauls.....
The children might enjoy the Duck Tour. It's an old amphibious WW2 vehicle that takes you on a tour of the sights by road and then drives into the Thames for a cruise. http://www.londonducktours.co.uk

The London Dungeon is another popular one though if you decide on that it's worth pre booking as the queues can be horrendous otherwise.
hiya

thorpe park and chessington world of adventures are both good theme parks, and easily accessible from london (and in my opinion much better than legoland) . You can sometimes get discounted tickets to london attractions, restaurants etc at lastminute dot com

kev
Merrill, if you're travelling by rail, use your tickets to access the 2 for 1 offers here:
http://www.daysoutguide.co.uk
Hello all,
thinking about visiting London and seeing a show with the children. I am looking for a hotel/B&B that has family/quad rooms, is near a tubeline to oxford st, west end etc, offers free car parking and is easy to find from the M1. Thanks
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.