UK and Ireland Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in the UK and Ireland.
Check in is from 15.00 so I won't miss much :wink:
A number 18 bus from outside the hotel will take you to within a few hundred yards of the stadium for £1.50.
Fantastic! That's just what I need, cheaper than a taxi! Thank you!

Pippy :D
Pippy have you seen the reviews here?

http://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowUserReviews-g186338-d597383-r5560290-Travelodge_Wembley-London_England.html

Ive stayed in lots of travelodges - i always try to check in 3pm as ive seen people turn up later and they are trying to find them another place to stay as they are terrible for doubel booking rooms! the staff have told me this is a regular thing! best rooms go early!

Sounds like theres no shop nearby so id take a good supply of pop water etc..........

I like the sound of the female parking areas for better security, £5 is good for London parking!
Thanks Ali

Doesn't seem to be in the most salubrious of areas does it?! :lol: :lol:
Not to worry, we'll only be there for a few hours.

There will be a Muse forum party at one of the Premier Travel Inns after the gig which several message board members will be attending so I expect we'll go there for a while before making our way to the Travelodge to sleep :wink:
Will definitely ensure we arrive before 3pm to secure our room!

Pippy :D
Just returned from our month long holiday to the Uk, Ireland and Paris. It was FUN. The weather was good and didnt even use an umbrella. We stayed in an apartment in London that I could recommend (Nottinghill Gate), Eurostar was great, Paris very dirty, no problems with the new security procedures at Heathrow. In fact the whole holiday flowed very smoothly and I did all bookings myself on the internet (no travel agents). So if anyone has any questions I would be pleased to help out and thank you everyone for advice given in the past. :D
Hi Skate,
Any tips on a romatic spot in London? Thinking of valentine day treat. Would like somewhere picturesque maybe a restaurant in the centre or close to Big Ben.
cheers
if i was planning to walk from downing st to buckingham palace what would my shortest route , trying to fit so much into a schedule and grandson wants to see both thanking you
Shortest route would probably be back down Whitehall towards the Houses of Parliament cut right down King Charles Street (where the Cabinet War Rooms are) and cut through St.James Park towards the end of the Mall.

Shortest route not through the park back down Whitehall towards the Houses of Parliament turn right at Parliament Square and walk down Birdcage Walk (by the side of St.James Park) turn right again at Spur Street and youre at the Victoria Memorial and Buckingham Palace.

Why not spend an extra 5 minutes though and walk UP Whitehall to Trafalgar Square, turn left through Admiralty Arch and approach Buckingham Palace down the Mall. Much the best way to see it.
Staying a Travelodge Kings Cross Royal Scot 1 night in April. Going to see Sound of Music in the evening. Any ideas for afternoon meal (fairly basic as I have in-laws & kids along). Also breakfast next morning.

Is KC tube walkable?

thanks
Steve, we stayed at this Travelodge last February (when it was called the Travelodge Islington). It is certainly walkable from Kings Cross - although it's not the first Travelodge that you can see immediately across the road on the left - that's the Travelodge Kings Cross. It's even closer from the Kings Cross Thameslink exits. Afraid I can't particularly help with eating places other than to say the immediate area isn't all that salubrious (although I did chance a couple of the local pubs :lol: ). If I remember correctly the hotel do serve some kind of breakfast if required.
Thanks to everyone whos given me advice on my trip to London just 3 weeks away , staying at the Travelodge Kings Cross seems a good base to get around , just so much my grandson wants to see (hes 10 ) I have sort of planned an itinary but I also have a plan B in case the weather is not to good, would it be worthwhile me letting the Travelodge know that I will be arriving after 9 pm as I would hate them to give my room away cheers.. Paddy
I would definitely recommend you give them a call on the day to say you will be arriving quite late - we got bumped from a Travelodge on the way to Manchester airport once - luckily to one that was nearer the airport.
As I stated earlier I will be arriving at Euston at about 9.20pm , would it be advisable to get a taxi to the Kings Cross Travelodge or is it within walking distance , if it is not to far I could walk but i have a youngster with me who not be so keen .. cheers in advance Paddy
Paddy, the walk from Euston Station to the Kings Cross Travelodge will only take 5-10 minutes. Turn left out of the Station along Euston Road past the British Library and on to St.Pancras & Kings Cross Stations. The Travelodge is in clear sight just over the road. Would think that a taxi would be hard pushed to get out of it's minimum charge for that distance though so you may want to think about it as it will be dark and you will have a youngster with you.
Boothers - thanks for the earlier reply.

Could anyone recommend somewhere to eat within reasonable distance of the Palladium? I'm thinking late afternoon, something simple/inexpensive for a family.

Also any suggestions for things to do in a day in London with a 6 year old? We've done the Eye & I hate Tussauds. We were thinking of the NH Museum but no sure what's here beyond dino bones. We'll be there the day after Easter Monday so not sur eif local schools are still on holidays. Also, suggestions for parking near Museums / West London - can't avoid having the car but don't know whether to take it out otown & tube back in.

Thanks
There's a branch of Browns on Maddox Street (just the other side of Regent Street), their menu is a bit of everything and a decent choice for children.
Also a branch of Bella Pasta on Argyll Street, just across the road from the theatre.
If it's just snack type food you want (pizza, potato wedges, salads, etc) then believe it or not but Topshop is a good choice - they have a cafe on the lowest floor and the food is really good and reasonably cheap.

There's the slides at Tate Modern that children (and adults!) seem to love - they have height restrictions but i don't think it's very high for the level 2 slide.
The Science Museum is great for children as they have alot of interactive stuff there.
If the 6 year old is a girl, or even a boy into Kylie i guess, there's a Kylie exhibition on at the Victoria and Albert showing costumes all the way from Charlenes overalls to the gold hot pants and lots of pictures, etc. It's v popular though so you have to go online or call in to book a time.

Personally i'd leave the car and use the tube, especially if there's a few places you want to visit.
Steve,
not sure about meals (one mans meat etc.) but there is (or used to be!) a branch of Garfunkels in Argyll Street right by the Palladium (if that rocks your boat).

I too would use the underground to South Kensington for the museums. There's an underpass from the tube to the Museums so even if it's raining you needn't get wet. The 3 museums (Natural History, Science, V&A) are all within 500 yards of each other and as entrance is now free you needn't worry - if one doesn't suit just pop across to another ! (Think the Kylie exhibition might be charged though, and not too sure that there's much more in the V&A to keep kids amused)

The Natural History Museum is a LOT more than just dinosaur bones (life size moving animotronic dino's anyone?), plenty there to keep kids with any interest in animals happy.

My main tip would be the Science Museum, especially the Launch Pad section, hands on fun for children (of all ages).
Thanks for the replies. I might go & have alook at Kylie's hotpants myself!

We'll have the car with us so I might look to park up in Hammersmith or somewhere else on a tube line.
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.