UK and Ireland Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in the UK and Ireland.
We are planning a trip to London in the October half term, 2 families with kids ranging from 2 to 9, and are looking for family rooms. We are travelling by train to Kings Cross then are planning on seeing Disney on Ice at the O2, the Eye, Duck Tours and the open top buses. The men would also like to see Wembley if poss. Can anyone recommend a hotel that has family rooms and would be easy to get to from these venues. We have an offer for 15% off with Superbreak but if anything cheaper then we will go with that! Thanks
Have a look at the Hilton offers, we stayed in Hilton Metropole right across the road from Edgeware Road tube station, not too sure on parking as we took the train to Paddington which is under ten minutes walk, and Oxford Street about the same distance.We had a great time, hotel was excellent even had a swim in pool there, good luck Maggie
The Holiday Inn Kensington (NOT the HH Forum Kensington) has lots of family rooms sleeping four. They are a decent size and the tube station is just over the road as is Tesco's for cheap snacks!

Get a deal that includes the fantastic buffet breakfast and you will be quids in.

I see that they are offering rooms for some weeks in August for £120 per night including breakfast. For four people that isn't bad.
Hiya all

Im in london for a hospital appointment with my kids so will now combine it with 2 days sight seeing.
I have 2 boys ages nearly 2yrs and nearly 7yrs what are the best things to do in 2 days?
Im thinking either natural history or science museum?
What about the London Eye is it worth the money?

Thanks Vicky
Cannot speak for the London Eye because I suffer from vertigo so wouldn't countenance a 'flight' however both the Natural History and Science Museums are must for both children. It can get very busy at both especially during the summer holidays but as its free you have to expect that. If you really want to keep costs down then take a packed lunch made up from a supermarket because both have indoor picnic areas and the Natural History Museum as enough space outdoors to take advantage of any decent weather we may or may not get. Both museums have something for everyone whatever their age.

If the weather is good, another cheap visit is Kensington Gardens and the play park and Diana memorial fountain. The children will love it.

They would probably enjoy St James's Park too which has a children's play area, plus the extra advantage of watching sparrows, pigeons and squirrels feed from the hands of others. Take some bread to feed the ducks.

I think that many children enjoy the 'sights' of London such as Buck Pal especially at Changing of the Guard time, which if memory serves me right takes place about 11.30 each day. They will certainly enjoy the uniforms and the soldiers. Then there is Trafalgar Square and the fountains, Big Ben and The Houses of Parliament and The South Bank area always seems to have something free on for the children. Check Time Out for children's activities.

Another nice way to spend the day is to take a boat down the Thames. You will be able to pick one up from Westminster Pier. Go down to Greenwich and stand on the meridian and enjoy Greenwich Park, which is magnificent.

I have always loved London Zoo but it is very expensive!
Hi,

I've been on the London Eye a couple of times - once at daytime and once at night. I think the night flight (as they call it) is nicer, simply because London is so, so pretty at night all lit up. It's better to book your 'flight' on the internet to print off your ticket - that way you avoid any queues.

As for sightseeing with your young boys - Megstar's suggestions are really good. I'd also put St.Paul's on my list. Inside the cathedral it is FANTASTIC! Awe inspiring. And climbing the stairs to the Whispering Gallery (and then whispering into the wall to each other from opposite sides) would be huge fun for children.

I always suggest going to Waterloo Bridge at night time too. The view from there of The Thames, Parliament, St.Paul's etc is amazingly beautiful.

Covent Garden is another place worth vititing. Very buzzy, with great cafes'/bars etc, and street entertainers.

There's so many places to see in London, but they're probably the ones I'd plump for if my time was limited.

Strawberry
Hi you can get some ideas from here........ http://www.daysoutguide.co.uk
:?: Hi, We Are Going To A Show (Buddy The Musical) 7.30 pm On The 10th Sept At The Duchess Theatre Near Covent Garden, Does Anyone Know What Nearby Car Parking Facilities And Costs Are, Or Any Nearby On Street Parking. :thanks
Westminster council car park here: http://www.westminster.gov.uk/carparks/china_town.cfm?gclid=CMzyhPLS6o0CFRcGEgod2iywuQ
Meters charge 20p for EIGHT MINUTES :o on average, although meters & pay & display areas charges vary between £1 and £4 an hour.
If you can, it may be easier to park somewhere near a tube station, and get the tube in.
:yikes Hi, Thanks For The Info But As It's Gonna Cost Around £30 For 9 Hours Parking We Have Decided To Go By Train And Tube As It's Only About £6 More And I Will Be Able To Have A Drink Or Two As Well, Cheers Tel. :glynis
I am attending a concert and will be spending several hours in central london (Victoria) before I return to Stanstead airport. Can anyone recommend a bar I could get a late night drink in. I do not want to return to Stanstead too early as my flight is not until 8.00am. If anyone could recommend a nice bar/pub I would be grateful...................thanks Hoops
Hello everyone :D

Could anyone be kind enough to tell me of any really cheap accommodation (£350-400 approx) for 6 nights (11th - 17th September) in the below area of London?
:arrow: meanfiddler[dot]com/images/upload/Astoria_Map[dot]jpg

(had to do that since im not allowed to post URLs yet )

Im going to see, along with my girlfriend, my favourite band who are playing 6 nights in a row at the London astoria 2 and the youth hostel we were going to use was double booked :(

Here's our bus times if this helps

Outward Bound!

Megabus Journey information:
Mon 10 September 2007
Glasgow, Buchanan Bus Stn to London Victoria, Greenline Coach Station
22:45 Depart Glasgow, Buchanan Bus Stn
06:15 Arrive London Victoria, Greenline Coach Station

Homeward Bound!

Megabus Journey information:
Mon 17 September 2007
London Victoria, Greenline Coach Station to Glasgow, Buchanan Bus Stn
12:30 Depart London Victoria, Greenline Coach Station
22:00 Arrive Glasgow, Buchanan Bus Stn

Thanks!
Mean Fiddler/Astoria is very close to Tottenham Court Road Tube, it's as central as you can get so cheap accommodation is a bit thin on the ground. Try http://www.laterooms.com put in the search details and when the results come up do a 'search by tube station' at the top of the page (it'll list all properties with km from Tott Crt Rd).

If hostels are ok you could try Astors Museum Inn which is literally just around the corner (5 mins walk) http://www.astorhostels.com there's also a hostel near Russell Square 'The Generator' (approx 15 mins walk), a google should pull up the website.

Hotels that may be in that price range are the Ibis Euston, http://www.imperialhotels.co.uk have The County Hotel, rooms are cheap but none en-suite. You could also search hotels in the Kings Cross area as that's good for cheap accomodation and still in walking distance (approx 25 mins). The best cheap hotel i've used around there is The Wardonia which have tiny but spotless rooms for £55 a night.
Ok no replies but have booked anyway for 2 nights as we are off to see a show or 2 :lol:

Can anyone please recommend some good places to go in London for the 3 days we are there?
Hi Sunseeker

When are you going and what type of things do you like visit wise?

I have been to most of the London museums which are great and free :D

Covent garden is good for shopping and Camden or Portabello for market atmosphere - just good to browse.

Ive not been on a ghost walk but they sound good or the pub walks....

Id say to get an Oystercard, saves a packet single tube fares now £4 with Oyster its £1.50 you can buy in advance online or at any station in London. Day pass is £5.10
Thanks Alit - we are going at the beginning of November- one place we wish to see is Buckingham Palace - even if it is just from the outside :)
Regarding the museums- which ones have you visited and are there any around of which would involve the Fire Service?

yes Convemt Gardens is on our list - will this be open on Sunday?

The hotel is along the river thames so how far away is Convent Garden?
Hi Sunseeker,

Covent Garden is an area of London. It has lots of theatres, restaurants etc..........so it (Covent Garden) never closes.

Which hotel are you staying in? There's lots along the river, so it could be close to Covent Garden - or it could be miles away.

You really need to decide where you want to see in London, and then plan from there. London is huge, and some tourist attractions are miles away from each other. Once you've decided on the places you want to see you can then work from there and make yourself a route.

Strawberry
Im not aware of any with fire service links as the transport museum in covent garden is shut at the mo? will ask london friends if they know of anything?

Ive been to british museum which is fab - terracotta army is on whilst your there need to book for that i think to get in - im going oct half term :D it looks wow!

The imperial war museum is excellent as is the John Sloane museum nr Holborn tube, ive also been to the science museum, natural history museum and the victoria and albert, plus a few others.....the tate and national

Covent garden has crafts market in the week and weekend 10-6 i think, nice to browse round and then get a drink....

There are lots of good places to eat but i have only tried veggie/vegan places as im vegan.

You can get one of the red tour busses and jump on and off all day they call at the places of interest, london eye is good if youve not been if its a clear sunny day its best.

There are also guided walking tours - i will post links to in a bit.....
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.