Turkey Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Turkey.
lykia world
1440 Posts
Oh well I just thought sometimes these hotel fridges have an ice making compartment. Guess the kids new beakers won't be any good then.
Does anyone know if there is a radio in the rooms, thinking about taking my itrip so that I can listen to my ipod.

Also does anyone know what frequency the emergency channels broadcast on as considering taking our US Walkie Talkies. We can't use them in the UK as they operate on the same frequency as our emergency services.
No freezer sections or radio I'm afraid,.
HI Pampplemousse, two weeks 2days to go, could you tell me if the pools are salt water as my son burns really bad in salt water, also are you allowed to take things like (sweets, crisps and body spray in your had luggage, im also going to email the hotel to ask them if they would put our rooms next to each other and to request P block middle floor, we have already had our tickets they came really early 17days before, just geting everything ready to go and geting the uniforms ready for when we go back, in glad i saved the large rubber ring we brought in Tenerife as that will save me buying a new one for the slides. Yours Janice
Hi Belingham, not long to go now.

No they aren't salt water pools. Sweets and crisps are fine but liquids have to be less than 100ml and put in see through bags. All aerosols should be in you hold luggage.
Not long till we go. We are off on Friday. Anyone else out there then? I was considering requesting a room in P block but think I'll just take what i'm given. Would love to be in the quite area but knowing my kids they will want to pop back to the room every 5 mins. Anyone else have this problem?
Just back from Lykia last night, had a lovely time and did not want to leave, especially the view. I think everyone going will have a great holiday. I would say though that it was extremely busy (obviously I expected this as it is Aug!!) and you do need to be up early to get a sunbed in certain locations e.g main pools, village very busy at night and often Marina had signs up saying it was closed and there were no seats available, we used to go down anyway and a seat would usually turn up we actually found going later it was easier to get a table. Also I definately think they need to think about air conditioning in the main restaurants. All in all these are small complaints, the weather was fanastic, the food great, views stunning and our children loved it!
Hi LMB, What time do you need to be up to get a sunbed, we usually try and find 2-3 around 730ish os that early enough, also what about the Marina restarnat as i love to eat outside i have told my family they need to be ready between 7-730 to gat a table at the marina, which block was you in im going to email the hotel this week to ask for P block middle floor, how far is it to the nearest town as i want to get some drinks in. Yours Janice
The nearest town is Olu Deniz which is a ten minute ride in a taxi this will cost you approx 10 pounds return. 700-730 would be both early enough for the Marina and to put towels down for the sunbeds. I am sure you will have a great time.
We are going to LW on Friday and have not got a clue which block we are staying in, although we have confirmation that we have a connecting room as we have 3 children aged, 14, 8 and a 3 year old. We have requested a ground floor as our 3 year old has a habit of escaping and climbing so any safety is a must. We are in the village. Do you know if the connecting rooms are nice.

We are also a bit concerned about the water. Are we able to purchase bottled water on site. I think we should be there about3.30pm ish on Friday. Have booked through Thomas Cook and they seem to be a bit vague on anything we ask them.
Hi Harrisons and Nikster
There are several kinds of connecting rooms so hard to know where you will be. Most of the village rooms are very nice.
You can buy litre bottles of water at any of the bars. There are also free water dispensers at all bars and the water in the jugs at all the restaurants is filtered. We have drunk it for years with no ill effects.
Prices at LW are in Euros but they will accept anything. We just take cash in Sterling and our credit card. We settle our bill at check out with the card but you can settle it every day if you want and do so with any currency you want or indeed with travellers cheques.
We spend sterling in Olu and Fethiye but they will take anything and give you change in Lira. Same with tips. We usually get rid of any Turkish money at the end of our holiday by using it for tips.
You can buy bottled water from the bars at Lykia. There are also free drinking water dispensers around the place. Tips can be in any currency. Shops outside Lykia price in British ten pounds, eg 4 t shirts for £10. Lykia shops in euros. You can pay your card as you go or at the end of your stay.
HiMehmeh, Could you tell me how do you pay for (bowlingalley, skijet, bananaboatetc) in Lira ot Euro, could you also give me idea how much the drinks are as my son who is nearly 18 wants to go to the niight club,he usaually drinks larger at home. we dont drink much as a family perhaps 1 or 2 drinks afer our meal. I have booked our return taxi with orangecarhire 1 week to go and counting, judt not looking forward to the night flight 21.55 from eastmidalnds airport arrive 0.255 and on retuen we leave at 03.55 and get in eastmidalnds airort at 07.15. I would like to also like to ask what did you think of the Magic hotels are they full of other nations and a small amount of english, i would love to go to the royalwings next time in Lara but they is a limited number of english. Yours Janice
Its probably going to annoy some people but whilst I enjoyed the holiday I would definitely not give it 4/5 *'s. If we ever did another package holiday though we would go back but I think we will probably stick to villa's. To be honest the worst aspect of this holiday is the general public and the sheer arrogance and lack of respect which just seems to be the world over.
Hi Kazd
I can't remember when you were there but if it was in high season I bet it was packed. I think they try to pack too many people in. People are never at their best in crowds or having to queue.

We've been to LW in both high and low season amd there is no comparison. The nicest time was at the end of September with no crowds at all.

I was there one July and it was impossible to get away from other people's kids even at the adult pools. It was so crowded that some guests were bringing their kids down to the adult pool at the residence side and we had to leave as they were running around shrieking. They were non english speakers and some people (not me - I'm too scared) tried to explain they shouldnt be there but they appeared not to understand.

Who was it said " hell is other people" ?
Hi Bridd

We just got back on Wednesday and the place was full, in fact some people were enquiring whether there were any rooms available for their friends and there was only a dreaded garden room available.

Aside from the people there were a few things that were just not for us but the staff and the facilities were excellent. I would recommend it if you like hotel style holidays, I think we have just come to the conclusion that we prefer Villas (although not sure the kids would agree).
Hello kazd - I am still toying with booking for next year's school holidays but the thing that worries me is how busy it will be (sunbed scramble, restaurants etc) and also because I dont think the service will be as good with so many more guests to look after. Did the hotel not live up to your expectations then? What was it that you didn't like? Thanks - Anice
Anice

This is only our second package holiday in 16 years so have nothing to compare it against and some people might say we were too picky.

The hotel was full but we always managed to get a sunbed but you have to play the game ie put your towel out. As someone said if you don't then you would spend your holiday been p****d off because you couldn't get a bed.

The food was fine but despite the varied choice did get very samey and although it was all very nice I would not give it 4/5 *'s. Then again I think it would be practically impossible to produce 5* food for a buffet serving so many people.

The staff were all superb and the kids entertainment staff were the best.

I would not hesitate in recommending Lykia World but I think it just isn't our cup of tea. If we were to go back then we would possibly opt for the residence but thats because I am a lazy old boot and would prefer a lift to all those steps. Our room was at the furthest end of the resort right next to the Adult pool which was great for the pool but a bit of a slog for the restaurants.

If you have kids then I am sure you will enjoy it, my kids loved it and would like to go back again. I think though that has a lot to do with the fact that they made friends and you don't normally get that opportunity when you are in a villa.
Dear Kadz

Glad you had a good holiday and that the children enjoyed it. As I said we had a great holiday but after having stayed there for two weeks in the high season I think we would look at different alternatives for next year. We found it a little too hectic in the village at night ! I also agree with Bridd in that going out of season is a totally different experience. I too found the place rather big this time round as we seemed to do a lot of walking from one activity to the next , which was great for the children, but at times slightly exhausting!! Also I found that we felt a little under pressure to rush to evening meals ( although the childrens buffet was useful). Over all though I would recommend Lykia to most people if you want a child centered holiday with great views.
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.