Indian Ocean inc. Maldives/Mauritius & India Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in India and Indian Ocean.
MALDIVES-Q&As
247 Posts
Hi Ozza,

I use a Scubapro shorty 2.5mm and this is more than adequate. You can use a rash vest alone - it's that warm! Mind you I normally dive in March but I am pretty sure the water temperature doesn't change that much, only a degree or so at most. Take your own kit with you (apart from tank & weights!) if you can as all the dive companies charge extra for the loan of their kit. Most airlines allow a minimum of 5 kgs extra baggage free of charge if you state you are a diver and have proof. If you have a decent underwater camera - take it!
Here are some of my pics from last year: http://www.onan.co.uk/ranveli_diving_gallery/album0.html
Hope you have a great time, I'm going for the third time in March and I can't wait! :D
Cheers fella,

great site by the way, always good to hear the Chemicals!!!!

Looks like i'll be storing by 5mm suits and hood (get in)

Got a camera so am well looking forward to it
Even my 30kg (eg VERY skinny) 12 year old was easily warm enough in 2.5mm shorty in July - which is mid wet season - you'd boil-in-the-bag in 5mm!!!

Saw a few folk in full lycra suits against coral rash (which is VERY easily acquired!) which may not be a bad idea (can always be an additional layer under your 5mm somewhere colder!).

Take "Swim-ear" with you if you can too and it may be a good idea to speak to your GP and see if he will let you have some Gentisone Ear Drops (mild antibiotic) on private prescription as a precautionary measure (cost me under £6 inc the prescription!). LOADS of folk get ear infections in the maldives from both swimming and snorkelling due to the high volume of bacteria and plankton in the warm water. May just save you having to miss the diving!! If you don't want to go the alcohol-rinse route (swim ear) - I'd strongly advise rinsing your ears in fresh water ASAP after leaving the sea!
For up to date weather info for the Maldives please see link below.This weather station is based on Male.

http://www.meteorology.gov.mv/
Ha! well said myrtle!
Oh gutted I am going in July this year i hope it dont rain too much!
Im staying at biyadoo island
Hi is the Maldives bad for mossies or what?
Depends when you go - it is worse during our summer season when there is more rain.

We've been twice - both times at Christmas and never got a bite the first year. This year we both got about 15 bites from Sand flies not mozzies. Take a decent repellent to be on the safe side.
Yeah we buy our repellent from boots and we took it to the domincan and neither of us got bit once for two whole weeks
We went to Kuramathi for 2 weeks in June 2004, and we didnt have any rain during the day at all!!! ....and we only had 2 nights of rain!! :D

We checked all of the weather websites before we went, and they all said to expect thunderstorms and plenty of rain!!!......maybe we were just lucky :?

Going to Lily Beach this April for 2 weeks...... not long now!!!
:? From what I've read on here....April is the 'end' of the 'time to go' season. What's the weather like first two weeks of May?? Thanks!
It's all down to luck i think. We're going the last two weeks in May for our 3rd visit having previously only gone before in December. have been chatting to someone from another forum though who is going on the same flights we are who also went the same two weeks in may last year and didn't hardly see a cloud or a drop of rain.

You could be lucky like that or have an odd cloudy / rainy day. Either way, it's not going to be terrible.

We usually go to the caribbean in May but since going to the Maldives we've decided that the Maldives in low season / unpredictable weather hands down beats the caribeean with fantastic weather.
Hi all

Interesting discussion.
Living in Maldives, I would'nt say weather is unpredictable. (perhaps it happens sometimes!!). but generally if you follow the weather advice, you can have a great time in Maldives.

Cheers
:lol: We are off to Lily Beach on the 5th of April -can't wait- but have a wee query. What is the dress code, is it smart but casual or is it a dress for dinner sort of place? Just looking for a rough idea as I normally get a hard time for packing everything but the kitchen sink. :?

Thanks

Donna
have a look here. It seems that is a relaxed dress code- just no swimwear for dinner!
Donna,

No formal dress code, shorts are acceptable. Same at lunch, bearing in mind to show some respect to the islanders. Ladies covering up bikinis, and no swimmming trunks (e.g speedos).

Just see what the other guests are wearing and you'll get the general idea.

It is a very relaxed and chilled out island, and definitely relaxed smart casual.

We're there for the 3rd time from 4th April.

Give me a shout if you need anymore information, but the Lily Beach thread has loads of valuable info on it.

Sean
Sean,

Thanks for that, I will try and pack lightly for a change.

Not long to go now, can't wait. We arrive on the 6th so will maybe see you there.

Regards

Donna
Hi

Just thought I would drop a line since I live in Maldives.

Yes its extreamly casual specially in the resorts. shorts and t shirs/ skirts and bikini at the beach is fine.

cheers

Edited to remove unauthorised signature/weblink
David HT Mod
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.