Indian Ocean inc. Maldives/Mauritius & India Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in India and Indian Ocean.
Maldives
201 Posts
We flew Qatar to Filitheyo in August 2005.

Cannot fault airline, legroom was good (myhubby is 6ft 3 and was comfy instead of having his legs almost wrapped round his head on charters!), food on flight was great & the icing on the cake, being upgraded to business class at Abu Dhabi back to the UK despite hubby & I being in jeans!
Hi there,

After much debate my boyfriend and I have decided to go to the Maldives on 17th Jan. Is anyone else flying out on the 17th and better still anyone going to Sun Island up to the beginning of Feb?

Hope to see others enjoying their hols!

Although it may not quite be the holiday that we intended, we do feel that our tourism will help towards the Maldives situation. If everyone cancelled they would be in big financial trouble...
I was in Vilamendoo back in Nov great island for snorkling and diving accomadation is good and service is good it is the only island I have been to but I assume American Dollars is what is used on the other islands you are expected to tip. If you drink alot of beer go all inclusive or full board, cocktails you have to pay for anyway so if that is your thing maybe just full board. We are not drinkers but $5 for a glass of wine and $3.50 for a bottle of water. There is also a couple of excursions included in the all inclusive. I did hear from another person that had stayed on another island that he thought the accomadation was basic on vilamendoo but the reefs were much better. I am not sure if the island was affected by the wave. Have a great holiday we did.
aussiestew
i found a price AI* for the Meeru from Gatwick because the Manchester flights are on the wrong day

£4298 with Eclipse

Good price or not?
I have also got a price for:

Kuredu Island Resort £ 4110 - All Inclusive - Eclipse

is that a good price for that resort?
Is that price for two people for April 2006?

To be honest that's more than I am paying for Lily beach flying with Emirates for Xmas and New Year 2005 - does sound a little high to be.
Sounds about right then - I work around a basic costing of 1400 per person for off peak travel (ie not easter or Xmas).

Price forKuredu is very good - and there All inclusive is quite good - goes on till 2.00am - thats the only complaint we had about Lily Beach is that the AI finished at 11.45pm. Didn't stop us wanting to go back though - neither did the Tsunami !!!
Ah! Well its easter im wanting to go.

But yet still got to decide.
Very good price for Easter then !
Thanks for that. I will deffinatly consider then.
You might want to check out website http://www.meeru.co.uk or http://www.meeruisland.co.uk for some recent reports on Meeru (Or you could wait til we get back in August!!!)

We've been to Lily Beach, Paradise and Kurumba (Meeru & Bandos this summer) - Lily is definately our favorite, Paradise our least favourite. In my view the further you can get away from Male the better for that real Robinson Crusoe feel - Paradise etc just don't have the same atmosphere.

You said it "had" to be First Choice - won't they let you book through H&J as they are sister companies ??. We booked a twin centre with H&J with one island that wasn't in their brochure and they were happy enough to oblige.............................
i will certinaly look into H&J

Thanks
First Choice because it will be there new service.
Yep would have spotted the cross reference had I spotted the link, hope it goes well the new service looks good, would like to read your review once tried.

Regards

Joe
i will certinaly get the latest information here first!
Could anyone recommend one of the following islands for snorkelling off the beach without having to be taken by boat to the reef?
Veligandu, Meeru Village, Kuredu, Taj Coral

Finding this sort of information difficult to obtain from the travel brochures and would greatly appreciate some first hand knowledge. Many thanks :)
Hi,

clink on this link and then clink on the island names that you are interested in - usually the last para on each island is about Diving and snorkelling. Looks like meeru is the worst - with the only decent snorkelling being on organised boat trips.

http://www.hellomaldives.com/resorts/alphabetical_order/index.htm

Tracy
I can concur, regarding Meeru, there is very little beach side snorkelling available, but it does excel in other areas.

Regards
Graeme
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.