Indian Ocean inc. Maldives/Mauritius & India Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in India and Indian Ocean.
Maldives
201 Posts
Hi all
With reference to FCA leg room 31", is this legroon throughout the cabin or just the upgrade?

Joe
But Hayes and Jarvis do and they are the same group!
Problem is H & J consider themselves a 'posh' tour operator and thus their prices reflect this. I just priced my Lily beach holiday that I booked with Thompson worldwide and if i were to fly with First Choice, my holiday would be just over £350 more expensive then the one I booked with flights with Srilankan airlines. if I choose the flights that i actually am travelling on with Sri lankan, H & J priced it as just over £700 more than i am paying - travel dates are fortnight covering Xmas and New year so still some way away.

I also priced my holiday with Mytravel and notice that this winter they are using Monarch flights rather than their own aircraft. Another reason not to book with Mytravel.
Emirates seat pitch is 33-34" on LHR - Dubai leg if flying in the 777, and 32" from DXB - Male. Despite a little less leg room, this leg is quite nice if you are travelling with just your partner as the seats are a 2-4-2 configuration so it's a bit more relaxing when it's just to 2 of you.
hi

we are going all inclusive to the veligandu and i wondered about tipping, how mucg in which currenancy etc

any tips? :lol:
Tipping is usually in US dollars and on average rates are $10 per week for your room boy and your waiter. Same for the barman or drinks waiter if they offer that service.
sorry to be dumb...

it is ok not to tip every meal then? or everytime you visit the bar
That's right, no need to tip after every meal or drink. I usually tip on our 2nd day and then again a week later.
thanks for the info!
We gave our room boy $40 at the end of our stay, and the waiters and barmen we had become 'friends' with $40 each (there were 3 in total and they really did treat up like royalty).

Also, whenever we went ou on a boat trip or something, we'd normally give the crew $5 each at the end.

I'd say it's normal to tip at the end of a holiday in the Maldives or an All Inclusive holiday , but it might do you good to leabe a small tip in the first few days.

hth!

Lisa
Hi All,

Just returned from our second visit to Lily Beach. Was still as good, if not better than the last time. Weather was absolutely scorching, 50 degrees in the sun a couple of days (at ten in the morning !!!). Although the season is definitely changing, the guys on the island are forecasting lots of sun

Did the whale shark hunting speedboat trip this year and we were lucky enough to see three (personally I think it was the same one, but that's being picky), will post some of the photo's when I manage to download them, also saw some spotted eagle rays and a baby sting ray when out in the shallows snorkelling.

Going back to a previous post about the mobile text messages. Last year we could receive calls/texts, and make calls, but could not send texts. This year we could both send and receive texts as well as receiving and making calls.

Will attempt to post a report, but it seems that other peoples reports truly capture the essence of Lily Beach and what it's all about.

Sean
Am thinking about the Maldives for our honeymoon, but am slightly worried about it being at the beginning of the rainy season. Has anyone been before at this time, and can advise on the likelihood of the weather (not that you have a crystal ball, but in general of course :wink: )

We was in the Maldives (Sun Island) last June -- Although it is the rainy season we only had a few showers that lasted for around 5 minutes

We also have been in October and we found that when we went in June it was actually hotter ---- I think that wherever and whenever you go now is always a gamble due to the dramatic climate change that we are currently going through.
Have been to the Maldives in early May, coming into the rainy season, but again only had a few showers during the day, but found we have heavy rain during the night. We were at Meedapurhaur and it did effect the sea planes
Hi
It realy dosen't matter, the weather is dictated by the wind direction (monsoon), the rainy season only means that you may experiance more rain than in the dry season and as the Temp is almost the same throughout the year you just take your chance.

Regards

Joe
Glen_and_Vikki - How was your holiday at Sun Island.We are still missing it...........
Thomas Cook are doing a great price on a late deal to The Maldives --- If anyone can fly out Monday 16th ---- Would be tempted myself but off to Cuba in a few weeks, so I thought I would share this with you all

Holiday locator number: TCH-M4BA36
Accommodation: Meedhupparu Island, Raa Atoll

Resort: Raa Atoll
Star rating ****
Board basis All Inclusive
Duration 14 nights

Flights Out
Depart Manchester: 16/05/2005, 21:40
Arrive Male: 17/05/2005, 14:15

Return
Depart Male: 31/05/2005, 16:15
Arrive Manchester: 01/06/2005, 01:10

PriceAdult 2 x £819.00 £1,638.00
Fuel supplement 2 x £25.00 £50.00
Late booking charge 2 x £12.00 £24.00
Flight meals (untick if you do not want meals) £20.00
Online booking discount -£150.00

Your Quote: £1,582.00 === £791 each

If you went into a Thomas Cook store they would give you this price also
For anyone who's interested, I've just posted some snorkelling pictures onto the Upload album. Once approved presuming they will be moved to the other destinations album.

Sean
For anyone that's interested I have uploaded some photos of this year's snorkelling experience at Lily Beach. Presume they will be moved at some point to the Other Destinations album.

Sean
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.