Goa Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Goa.
Exchange Rate!
538 Posts
Hi
I was just wondering, if the ATM swallows your card, and provided you have all the details of your card, where would you go to collect your swallowed card if the ATM is not near the Bank that owns the ATM.
Would you go to the nearest branch asap or find out when the ATM gets replenished and try to collect it then from the officer and show your your proof of ownership?

thanks
jevs
ive held a nationwide account for 5 years and never had a problem,however this year my card was refused 3 timeswith the advice to get in touch with my provider,this was a time consuming phone call with the advice to call back after 9 gmt.when each time i called they said you can use it now,so it was back in a taxi to the atm.no explanation was given.needless to say there was a enough in the account to cover what i wanted.it also happened to a friend i was with,he was told to use his wifes card .she was with him and it worked,the money came out of their joint account.!!!
Same for me, my Nationwide card was declined three times when I was there recently. A phone call to the UK each time sorted it but it was annoying. Royal bank were much worse, on my last three trips my card has been declined every time. When I phone the UK I just get passed around and told it is not their fault. I think it will be travellers cheques for me in the future. You cannot rely on your card working abroad. The funny thing is, that it has happened in three separate countries now, and each time I have been told that the country I was in was the worst in the world for card fraud. Personally I think that with my RBS card when it said "insufficient funds" they meant RBS had insufficient funds I had plenty!!!!!!! Please remember to take the phone number in the UK if you intend to use a card abroad.
Were they ATMs at different Banks?

Thanks,

Shirley
If we plan to use a debit or credit card abroad we normally notify our bank/ card provider before we travel and give them the dates it will be in use overseas.

Our bank told us that they reject cards from India if they have not been notified because in the past customers account details have been illegally used.

GM06
Ian
Hi Ian,

We used to let the Nationwide know every year before we set off then last year they said we didn't need to contact them anymore, whether it was because they know our routine or not I don't know.

Shrley
We were the same sjhart they told us we did not need to phone them to let them know we were going to Goa .....colleen
:(
We have used Nationwide and this year fortunately had no problems with the card ........ apparantly.....after years of not notifying them I was told that this year it was best to!!

jan x
25th Feb does anyone know today's rate

72 rupees to the £
thanks mids hope your having a good holiday :sun2
we use all the time and fortunately to date no probs.. but read in Guardian online that they are charging from May!!! :yikes
Nationwide change of charges, as Chilly mentioned

see post CLICKY

Charges for using Credit and debit card will be made in India (some countries are exempt) debit card from 1st June at 1% so £5 per £500 withdrawn.
Will they all follow? I know Post office offer free overseas withdraws at the moment but is it worth changing for £10 - £15 per year, and will they start charging soon??

Nationwide charges link

Mids
How do you go about getting the card back if the ATM swallows it? was it any particular ones that were problematic, and are there any that are definately reliable in Candolim?
Just had a look at the nationwide site and they still quote 'commission-free card use abroad' for Current account users in their account benefits section and makes a point of not charging for use of ATM's (though the ATM owner may charge you for it's use-it should advise you of this when you use it).
I think these forthcoming charges are only for the Credit card, NOT the Debit card

:duh scratch that...their 'foreign transactions' section does mention debit cards from 1st June.
Looks like I'll be looking for another bank then. :( ...
yes its a right pain for us as we use it the whole time!!! and will certainly add up over 8 mths :yikes but i agree N/W arent being very forthcoming about it as i too checked their site and found no mention aftr i read the guardian article (see its updated now though!!) and Martinsmoneysavingexpert is still saying its free!!
chilly
Nationwide are going to charge users in India, who withdraw from ATM's starting from June 1st 2009 at 0.84% fee will increase to 1% from July 1st 2009.

see link below.

http://www.nationwide.co.uk/current_account/foreigntransactions.htm
Hi all
I'm sure the answer is here somewhere, searched for quite a while, but as I'm flying to Goa Thursday, I thought someone could help.
Can you tell me if there's a bank in the Dabolim Airport, and is it open at 07.00am when we arrive?
I have decided on this occasion take cash and t/c's due to several problems I've read about while using ATMs. I will have my cards with me as a back up.

many thanks
Jevs
The exchange rate for sterling was 72.90 today ,this was the highest that I could see along the High Street in Calangute.
Lets hope it goes over 73 soon.
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.