Goa Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Goa.
I am unable to embed the link correctly but if someone could repost with it ... here is a quick link to the "Visa Corporate Rate" website here , which gives the days exchange rate you would get on a Nationwide Visa Debit card (0% commission rate)
  • Edited by Fiona 2009-02-03 17:14:24
    to add link
You're welcome.
If you prefer the other way around just swap the GBP and INR in the URL to give the rupee to pound rate. (ie. corporate.visa.com/pd/consumer_services/consumer_ex_results.jsp?from=INR&to=GBP&rate=0.0)
Also if you print the two alternative pages out and cut out the little tables,then stick them back to back and laminate them they are quite handy to keep in a wallet or purse.
A slight improvement on November then Ilovegoa - lets hope it lasts until March. :) Fizz
I suppose if you open a Nationwide account for the debit card, which I am now considering doing, then the money you have to deposit (to enable you to withdraw it), is subject to some interest. Could it be that what you gain on the exhange rate, you lose on interest, compared to the savings account the money would normally be in? Do people merely withdraw the money on holiday, leaving the account empty until the next holiday comes around, or do they stick with the bank?
I only use it for holidays - pop money in before I go and use when away. Anything left I either leave if only a short time til I go away again or take out and just leave a few pound in it.

Was really handing over the Xmas when the Euro and pound were level as I got a slightly better deal than if I had changed sterling over in Ireland.
Hi can anyone tell me what the exchange rate is at the moment please
The local rate in Calangute North Goa varies a lot in a day as much as 5 times. Rates at the moment vary from low 69+ to just a smig over 70 depending where you go. the rate the next day can drop or go up a rupee or more so it is anyones guess.
There have been quite a few occassions of bank cards being lost in the ATM machines over lately, through no fault of the owners of the cards. Always keep your bank card number/sort code of bank/ and address of bank to hand plus your driving license/passport, as unless you can provide these, the cards are returned to your bank in the UK. It then messes up your holiday unless you have another debit/credit card to use.
I would not carry my driving license/passport around in case it got lost but I do carry a photo copy as ID

Me
Would you believe that the local rate for the rupee hit 71 to the pound today. Hopefully the upward trend continues.
I think Tomitma's use of the phrase 'to hand' actually means with you in the hotel rather than with you on the street.
Good advice.We always take 2 debit cards and 2 credit cards and keep them seperate now will make notes of all their details as well.

Papa
I have taken a scan of all my cards, front and rear and emailed them to myself for use in case of loss/theft. I suppose a printout would be just as good so long as it is kept somewhere secure until needed.
I have taken a scan of all my cards, front and rear and emailed them to myself for use in case of loss/theft. I suppose a printout would be just as good so long as it is kept somewhere secure until needed.

Good Idea, I do that with our passports info page and visa page but never though about doing it with our cards
Just a thought, but wouldn't copying front and back of the cards provide the information that someone could use fraudulently ? both security number and signature together. I don't think I would feel happy carrying that with me let alone leaving with passport etc. in the resort - it might negate any insurance you may have.

We use our Nationwide card at the ATMs in Goa and have never had a problem, I think I would rather take a 'reserve' card with me than have copies of all details.

Just my opinion.

Shirley
There have been quite a few occassions of bank cards being lost in the ATM machines over lately, through no fault of the owners of the cards. Always keep your bank card number/sort code of bank/ and address of bank to hand plus your driving license/passport, as unless you can provide these, the cards are returned to your bank in the UK. It then messes up your holiday unless you have another debit/credit card to use.

Sound advice, Gayle - and for ANY destination, not just Goa.

But, PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE tell me that this hasn't happened to you - on top of everything else.

Hope you're both recovering and having a fab time. :sun2
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.