Goa Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Goa.
Anyone know where to get the best exchange rates in Calangute for traveller's cheques?
Hey,

Is there anywhere I could go to get travellers cheques there and then? Just that I am leaving on Wednesday and dont want to run the risk of ordering them and then them not being here in time? I know I should have thought about this earlier :(

Any help would be great :tup
Dx
First choice, Thomas Cook or the Post Office. Most places will sell them there and then. No need to order them.
Aw thanks Elliebee :)
Just called the post office and they said they wont do them for Ruppee's? Is that right.. she said something about a forbidden currency? I dont know what she was talking about :que

Dxx
If you get sterling ones it's just the same as giving them our currency except you'll get a slightly lower rate.

I've spoke to the travel agent about it this morning
Missxness, what she means is its a closed currency,you can neither buy them here or bring them back into the country( supposedly) although I know Lloyd bank will sell Rps but at a poor rate. Im sure someone said they bought some at Gatwick? Dont worry.You will be fine with sterling ones, any money exchange will change them.

Have a wonderful holiday :)
Use your debit card at the ATM - there are loads of them around. :tup
If you have time, stick some money in a Nationwide Flex Account - no charges and no commission. :D
Hi all
I hope to start my holiday in Palolem/Patnem in March 09. I have opened a new Nationwide flexiaccount as suggested and thanks for that advice regarding their free use and favourable exchange rates. Are there any ATM's in Palolem. My understanding is that I need to go to a small villagee/town nearby. Thanks to all who can help
Is it best to take travellers cheques in sterling or US dollars, a friend of mine said you will get more for your pound if you take dollars!!!???

Also I have approx £500 for 2 people for 2 weeks, is that anywhere near enough??? Would not mind doing a couple of things, like the elephant rides, waterfalls and staying in a beach hut for a couple of romantic days!!!

Any help would be greatly appreciated
I would say £500 would be enough. If you are taking traveller's cheques then I would think sterling would be best. You would be paying twice if you take dollar ones. Have a look through this thread for some great advice including using ATMs and opening a Nationwide flex account
this might sound like a dumb question...but if i take TCs with me to Goa can they only be changed at banks? We're staying in a self catering villa (Varca area) and usually we'd exchange travellers chequest at our hotel...but i'm concerned that its going to be a right rigmarole finding convenient places to get them changed... :que
Just checked my nationwide account. We got back on Sunday after 2 weeks. We got 72 at the start 71 middle and 70 last Friday
this might sound like a dumb question...but if i take TCs with me to Goa can they only be changed at banks? We're staying in a self catering villa (Varca area) and usually we'd exchange travellers chequest at our hotel...but i'm concerned that its going to be a right rigmarole finding convenient places to get them changed.

You can change them at Money change, hotels and banks. you will not have a problem but will get a worse rate than cash,

Mids
how do the exchange rates compare between traveller's cheques & cash?
I think if you take TC you get charged about 2percent to change it. IMO its best to take the bulk of your money in cheques, as if you lose them you can get them replaced.

There isnt much difference really, you lose a few ruppees, but its better in the long run for protection.
Just make sure you keep the serial numbers seperate from your TC so you can report them if they go missing.

I take the bulk of my spending money in cheques, and about 100pounds cash to use for airport and taxi.
just to let you all know, if you have llodys account you can order your TC over the phone or online and theres no commision...

adele x :)
thats good, my dads with lloyds, so i'll get him to get them for me. Im with HSBC and they charge commission
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.