Goa Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Goa.
Lloyds Bank, no matter how much you withdraw from your account charge a minimum of 1.50 per transaction, plus one pound for overseas withdrawals. 1.50 is the average if you draw out approx 100 pounds it is more if you draw out a higher amount. It really adds up by the end of your holiday, this is why we opted to go for a Nationwide Flexi account, no matter which country, or ammount you withdraw, there are no bank charges.

We still have 1,800rps from our last holiday, so that should last us for a while.
We opened a Nationwide account especially for drawing money out whilst on holiday. They suggested that we have their credit card as well. One's a lighter blue than the other, and yes I made the mistake of using the wrong coloured one despite the fact it says credit card on it. They don't half punish you for cash withdrawals on a credit card . Don't do it !!!!!!
I have since destroyed the credit card !
As for the no commission, it would be interesting to compare exchange rates on the statement with exchanges rates for cash in Goa at the time of the withdrawal. I have a feeling that cash would give a better deal. On the other hand, the safety aspect of a plastic card has some appeal.
we are to goa in two week and i would like to know the rate cheers
....simontaylor11 This is the rate right now at 6.35pm 1.00 GBP

=

75.5521 INR colleen
I have found that I always get a slightly higher rate by using the debit card, than what the exchange rate is in the shops. Many a time I get a surprise, it has even been 4 rps higher. Dosen't sound much, but multiplied by a couple of hundred it adds up
Guy on tv yesterday said when the interest rates goes down so does exchange rate . Looks like Rupee will drop again as Uk is supposed to be cutting the interest rate soon.
I dont mind 75rs = £1
cheers everybody as the intrest rate has just dropped 1.5% looks like it`l be less in two week :que
I already knew that I have 1,800 rps in the safe, but today I thought it is about time that I started getting the cases out ready for the holiday, I have a small gucci case (fake of course) that I take on the plane, so I got that out of the wardrobe and to my amazement I found 9,000 rps, in one of the inside pockets, I haven't a clue why it was there. :que I am going to go through all the other cases now in the hope of finding some more. :think
Tomitma that a lovely surprise, hope you find more. Gel
Tomitma

So thats where you stash your money. By the way which hotel will you be staying at?
I have found another 150 rps, it is adding up, we are not staying in a hotel suckseed we have hired an apartment by the football field in Candolim for 3 months. We prefer sc to hotels, it is more like home from home.
Remember the rupee is a 'closed' currency and it is illegal to take them in and out of India. Their have been a number of instances recently where tourists have been stopped at customs going in and going out, and had their rupees confiscated. Ok if it's just a few hundred, but more serious if it is thousands. You should not be able to find any for sale outside of India legally, so I am surprised at those posts saying they have purchased some in the UK. Be careful, if you do choose to break the law it could be costly, so don't show you already have any at the taxi rank at the airport.
OK thanks for the warning, but we are flying to Mumbai first, so it should be OK>
Hi Tomitma, is your s/c apartment owned by the Moonlight restaurant? That is the beach side of the football pitch in Candolim. We ate there a few times in February and meant to take the address for the hire of the rooms. If not there, have you any tips on air-conditioned apartments in the Candolim area ?as although we are going to Kerala in two weeks time, we intend to go to Goa again in March with family and would prefer not to go to a Hotel again. We stayed in the Prazeres last time and in the Ronil in Baga last December.
Your best bet is to book a hotel room for a few days, and have a look around there are many apartments and villas with ,to let signs, on the gates. Ours is a private rental the land lady lives in the apartment below us, there is no air conditioning, but we don't need it as we find an overhead fan is sufficient. March should be easy to find what you want. Another tip is to ask the taxi or tuk tuk drivers they seem to know everything that is going on. and what properties are vacant.
Remember the rupee is a 'closed' currency and it is illegal to take them in and out of India.

well thats not quite true, my friend works at atravel agents and i happened to mention this, she has told me that that particular one has permission to sell indian rupees,
bearing that in mind i personaly wouldnt risk taking them myself...
I have never heard of any travel agencies being allowed to have rupees, you can not even send money from India through western union to other countries, I tried this as i wanted to send some money for an aniversary present to my sister in Scotland but thomes cook would not permit this. they said it is illegal!! you can only transfer bank through a bank account.
You are not legally allowed to take rupees out of the country
As before, the rupee is a 'closed' currency. There are numerous signs up at Indian airport departure terminals telling you that it is illegal to take them out of the country, and it is clearly stated in India guide books too. Again if people want to knowingly break the law that is their choice. Personally I feel it is unreasonable to expect tourists to arrive in a country without any local currency at all. You may need to buy water, pay for a taxi, give tips etc to airport and hotel porters. The last thing you need after a long flight is to queue up at the airport money exchange booth, and then get ripped off with a high commission charge and a poor rate of exchange. Like many others no doubt, we used to tip with £1 coins (80IR), but when you think of the cost of everything and what you can buy for a pound, i.e. meals, beers, taxi's, haircuts etc, you realize that the annoying airport porters, who hassle you as soon as you step into the arrivals hall, must be the highest paid workers in India, pouncing on tourists arriving daily from all over the world!
I would rather give reasonable tips to everyone, eg 20 rupees a time for services than(80IR) to an airport worker for carrying one bag, even when you say 'no thanks', approx 5 mtres to the taxi outside the doors. They have the cheek to argue if you only give them a Euro or a 50 pence coin.
Some skilled tradesmen only earn two/three hundred IR a day.
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.