Tour Operators and Travel Agents

Discussions regarding Tour Operators and Travel Agents
My Travel/Airtours
150 Posts
Have just returned from a weeks holiday in Luxor booked with Airtours. Flight was with MyTravel.
Firstly the flight - both ways excellent, very pleasant cabin crew and reasonably nice meal. Drinks/snacks a little on the expensive side but we are a captive audience so to speak.
Transfers to/from airport to hotel were fine (only problem a long wait but this was not Airtours fault but fellow travellers). Hotel was as expected. Only had to contact the Rep once and he contacted the hotel manager and got something done. All in all good value for the money we paid.

Would have no reservations in using them again.
Starty
Hi

I have recently returned from one holiday with Airtours and another with First Choice. The difference was the following:

Whilst Airtours delivered what we paid for - flights as stated, times as stated, excellent hotel and rep service, First Choice did not.

First Choice altered our homeward flight times 3 weeks before departure, then whilst on holiday changed it again, diverting our homeward journey via Gatwick, changing a 2 and a half hour flight to almost 5 hours. The level of service on the flight was disgraceful. The rep said sort it out when you return to the U.K. I am still in contact with First Choice who admit the level of service wasn't good.

All I'll say is that I will never travel with First Choice again, give me Airtours any day. We have always had excellent service from them.

Vonmac
Just got back from a holiday booked through Panorama (same group) and I was not satisfied with their service. Anything that was contracted out was perfect (eg the nile cruise, the hotel for the second week), but anything they controlled (eg transfers, support from reps) was a total disaster.
We travelled to Cuba with My travel in January this year to what was advertised as a five star hotel the Alemeda.
To say that it would be lucky to gain three stars would be an understatement.Also our safety and well being was heavily compromised in relation to uneven roads poor or non existant lighting broken poolside furniture food poisoning and a general lack of hygienic standards by the catering staff.
I have written to my travel on more than one occassion and the woman that answers the letters is either unable to read the complaint or just does not care the latter appears to be the favourite.
I have supported Airtours for the last twenty five years in destinations all over the world but this could not care less approach is too much to take I for one will not travel with this company again and would advise others to do likewise.
welcome Bill.. if you look towards the top of the page you will find a dedicated thread for Airtours/my travel please post q&A in that thread

wizard
I have merged this post with the main topic.

luci :wave
My family of 4 are due to travel from Glasgow to Cyprus in June.

Does anyone know if Airtours have stopped the 20lb allowance being able to be 'lumped' together? I know some airlines are now insisting on it being 4 x 20lb seperate allowances, and are charging if you have one piece of luggage over this, even tho overall you are under the 80lb which would be allowed in total.

Cheers,
Jinty
jinty its usually 20 KG not 20 lbs no bag to exceed 30 kg but i dont know if they still allow you to pool your allowances
Silly me :oops:

Both Mum and Dad are deaf and I will be away, so I don't want them to meet any problems at the airport. Will see if they have an email contact I can enquire on. Prefer they have it in writing to take with them.

Cheers,
Janet
Does anyone know if Airtours fly in to Larnaca around April 25th please?

We want to stay in The Marlita apartments and only Airtours do them.
We can't be flexible on dates because we're going for a friends wedding.
Hello All,

I've just been reading this post in relation to MyTravel going bust. I have just booked a holiday for 2007 with Manos (part of the group) and would like to know if anyone has information on this company still being in operation next year.

Thanks for your help :D
My Travel going bust?

Hope not, my family fly out with them on 15th June (this year).

Any up-to-date info on this?

Cheers,
Janet
Traveling with direct holidays this year and have just booked with them for next year! :shock: Hope this isn't true.
MyTravel are releasing their Interim results for the half year up to 15 June 2006 on that date and are expected to report good profits. I've not a clue why someone has brought the distant financial difficulties back up. A few years ago, they had large debts largely due to the downturn in demand post 9/11, Foot and Mouth outbreak, SARS and other uncontrollable happenings. They have since overcome all this as well as terrorist attacks in Egypt, Hurricanes, the Tsunami and dramatically increased fuel cost as well as increased competition from low cost carriers and the minimal effects from Bird Flu reaching the med which all posed huge financial risk to all the Tour Operators.

Since 2004 when the financial restructuring was completed, MyTravel has delivered consistently improved results as per turnaround targets only set back by the increased cost in fuel.

I have travelled with Airtours 3 times so far this year and each time, our holidays have been perfect. The service and product we have received from them in the last few years has got better and better with each time we've travelled.

Have a nice holiday wherever you are all going this Summer!
  • Edited by Spies 2006-05-12 18:47:49
Phew! Thank goodness for that!

Cheers,
Janet
Hello Spies, I brought this up because that was the main context of this thread. I was unaware of what had happened in the past 2 years which isn't that long ago in financial terms but thanks for the info
Its not that long ago that the company reported losing something like 50pounds on each travelling passenger. Not exactly good business.

In addition to the debt-for-equity swap in 2004, which saved them from going under, MyTravel also reduced costs by cutting back on excess capacity, staff redundancies and shop closures. They therefore do not now have to discount unsold holidays as they have done in the past - do you remember who, in fact, pioneered the 99pound late deals?

Cutting capacity has enabled 24% more holidays to be sold at brochure prices and a 12% increase in the average selling price has also reduced operating losses over previous years. MyTravel has been focusing on margin improvement rather than boosting holiday sales.

The strategy appears to have paid off in that it has reduced losses, but at what cost? Customers voting with their feet, I hope. Customer care is not their top priority anymore. It was once, when it was the market leader. Customers are now treated with contempt and proof of this are the numerous successful litigation cases against then. And if you are ever unfortunate enough to receive a totally irrelevant response in answer to your question, you'll know exactly what I mean.

I am an ex-loyal customer, always looked to give them my holiday business, that is until last year when they messed up a very expensive holiday by choosing to cancel a contract entered into with them for a long haul holiday (nothing to do with hurricanes, tsunami, price of aviation fuel), but purely as a result of their new business strategy.

I can't wait to see how much I and other bitterly disappointed ex-customers of theirs this past summer have added to their share price. What price reputation, you can't buy that.
Has anyone had any trouble connecting to "my travel" today? I have either had the message "Unable to load template" or "Cannot find server". Would just like to know if its a problem with them or me :?
hi jeanette78

its not you because we tried today with no such luck!

probably server is down!

lou x
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.