Spain - Canary Islands - Fuerteventura Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Fuerteventura.
oasis tamarindos
84 Posts
Hi Nanita - oooh, not want I needed to hear...we're going for 2 weeks AI at the Tamarindo in about 20 days time. Regarding the post from Tracey about being moved due to building work, was there any that you could see, were you advised of any beforehand...getting a little concerned that we haven't got our tickets yet and wondering if that's the reason why...later the operator leaves it the less likely you are to cancel ?
Tracey - can I please ask who you booked through ?

RIU Oliva is a lovely hotel, believe it was renovated recently...it's just further out of town.
there was certainly no concern of building work.
we booked through Direct holidays. we were in the back of complex at room 100A and you could just hear the background from the bar of a night as we had windows open but room okay.
In Traceys post on 30th May, she said she booked through Direct Holidays. We have also booked with them and I was a bit concened, so I rang them. They assured me that there is no building work going on whatsoever. Tracey isn't going till later in the summer, so maybe some work is scheduelled to start by then. I would be pleased if we were moved to the Rui Olivia as it sounds much better tha Tamarindo. However, I think Nanita seems to be a bit too critical. She complained about the kids club. If there wasn't any noise coming from a kids club, then you would be worried that there was something wrong with the children. I don't know of any children that remain quiet when enjoying themselves, and if she wanted peace and quiet there are plenty of adult only hotels to choose from. Also, complaint about having problem finding her room seems a trivial thing to complain about. After all once you have found it the first time, you don't have to look again. Its the food issue I am worried about. Lets hope its not as bad as some people say. There are quite a few posts especially on Holiday Watchdog, where people have enjoyed the food.
Spoken to someone who's based out there and they advise that the ground next to the complex has been fenced off recently but no work has started yet. Wondering if they've overbooked for Tracey (party of 5 guessing would be a two bedroom apartment of which there are very few), and they wouldn't be able to move them to a one bedroom ?

The Oliva is a nice hotel, although some of the regulars are having a bit of a moan since it's reopened, apparantly as the staff have lost their regular tips from customers they aren't quite so 'bouncy', it is a good way out of town and all on it's own.

Oh well it's too late now to worry....after all we've booked for the sun more than anything so long as it's warm I'm sure we'll be fine.

Just hope Direct Holidays hurry up with the tickets, 3 weeks to go and no sign yet.

I'll post a review once we're back, wherever we eventually end up :D
There is a five star hotel being built on the fenced off part but work definately hasn't started yet. The 2 bedroom apartments are all on the back row, overlooking the national park with sea views and nowhere near the work. Food is subjective, I personally would never go AI unless I had kids. Complaint seems to be that the food was pasta and rice. Paella is our national dish, so I would expect rice to feature on a Spanish buffet menu, but each to their own. The apartment itself is kept beautifully clean and the grounds are lovely.
Have a good holiday.
If anyone recently returned would like to post their review please do so HERE.

Thanks.

Pippy :D
hi
sorry for the delay, yes i also booked with direct holidays and besides our family of 5 there were aslo another family of four and 2 other adults and we have all been moved. yes the oliva beach does look a lot better hotel but at the minute we are trying to sort out the rooms. they have given us a 4 bedded room to sleep 5!!!!! contacted direct holidays and they said it was a mistake on final invoice and it should have said 2 x family rooms but still not had it confirmed and its due to be paid on friday.
i must admit i thought the building work was just an excuse and they'd overbooked but we booked it over 14 months ago knowing the trouble we have getting a room that sleeps 5.
We returned from the Tamarindo last week and have to say that it was more than fine. I'll post a full review in the next couple of days.

However the complex is being closed at the end of the summer season and being sold off as individual apartments which probably explains why some people are being moved later in the year.

With regards a launderette...whilst the Tamarindo doesn't have facilities of it's own, the neighbouring Oasis Papagayo does. 3 euros for a 30 minute wash (there's also a drier but I wouldn't bother, just seemed to heat the clothes up, so that they were then damp and hot :) ).
Hi,
Individual apartments are already owned by private citizens who get guaranteed rental income and complex has always been that way. The place is being taken over by a german tour operator, which is why bookings might have been changed.
ah ok....maybe someone needs to tell the staff then, that certainly isn't how they are communicating it.
I am a little concerned about the review's being posted as im due to travel to the oasis tamarindo in september. we have booked through thomas cook. ive been in touch with thomas cook and they dont know anything about the complex being sold. ( they have it advertised in next years brochure). any more information on this i would be grateful if it could be posted.

kevc00l
OK, well what we were advised was that the complex wouldn't be operating under it's current status beyond the summer season this year.
We got this information via the staff after some other holiday makers mentioned that they couldn't get booked for next year or for Christmas this year (I've since tried booking both through Thomas Cook and Direct Holidays and am advised that there's nothing available for next year) - the last date that they could get me booked up again for was the end of September this year.

I wouldn't be concerned, it's a nice complex and you should have a great time - infact if the pennies stack up right, we may look to squeeze a week in at the end of September ourselves - looks like the summer in the UK is going to be a total washout doesn't it :D
were going there at the end of september into october... thomas cook are going to look into this. they have said they will call the hotel and find out if this is true and what is going on. They will call me back later this afternoon. will post what info they pass on to me.
hy am staying at the oasis village next to it hope it is ok when i go at the beginning of november
Well thomas cook have phoned today and informed me that the oasis tamarindo closes on the 30th of september. Thats half way thought my holiday, what do i do pack my case and move to another hotel half way thought my holiday. JMC the tour operator have not even botherd to inform thomas cook about the complex closing. if it wasnt for this forum i would of went ahead thinking i was going on holiday to this hotel.. not anymore.. well thats put a dampner on my holiday. they have offerd me a full refund what good is that 7 weeks prior to departure... :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil:
Hi Kevc001 - sorry about this, feel a bit rotten being the one bringing it to your attention.... are Thomas Cook not prepared to offer you anything else, or at least a partial refund plus your holiday....I wouldn't be so quick to let them away with the whole "JMC didn't tell us" cop out.
Keep in mind JMC are part of the Thomas Cook group...the initials stand for James Mason Cook who was Thomas Cooks' son.

Either way hope you still manage to have a great holiday.
kevc001 do not let thomas cook win they have to do something fore you even if they put you up in another hotel or apartments for the rest of your holiday good luck.
after a few stressful days they have offerd us the oasis village as we dont want to go to the oasis tamarindo, were happy with that, and i think were gonna accept. now its time to read the the reviews on this hotel. thanks for the suppore and the info. much appreciated.... :D
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.