General Holiday Enquiries, Hints and Tips

General Holiday Enquiries? Got General Hints & Tips? Post Them Here.
kimi, that's nonsense, no one who has to attend an interview needs to be accompanied unless they choose to.

Even if they choose to bring someone along, the person they bring along will not be allowed to take part in the interview.
ClownBoy
Thanks for your help in clearing that up.
That requirement did form part of the new passport rules announced in 2006. However, passport rules for young people were revised again in 2007, as outlined in THIS post.

David :wave
Sorry David must have missed that - this topic is 30 pages long!! Having read first few pages I thought it easier just to ask, as many of the posts weren't relevant to my question. :)
But needed to change it as we are travelling to Australia under a WHV and bank accounts proving we have funds for outward ticket are in my married name, so presumed I needed to change it?

Personally I would have checked this out with the Australian High Commission rather than just presuming - yes, I really am that tight fisted :-) But seriously, I would have assumed that you would just have needed to prove that you were one and the same person ie produced your marriage certificate. It is common in other cultures and some religions for women not to change their names on marriage and in this day and age I would assume that a country as cosmopolitan as Australia now is could cope with the idea that you your passport was still in your unmarried name but that a joint account was held in your husband's surname.

A friend of mine after more than 30 yrs of marriage still uses her unmarried name on her passport, for her own bank account and in her professional life but uses her husband's surname in all things connected with the kids and on the joint bank account and in some situations uses both with a hyphen but has never encountered problems simply because she can always prove that she is one and the same person regardless of which name she uses in a particular context.

I accept that many women want to adopt their husband's surname on marriage for all sorts of reasons but in this country there is no legal need to do so and the same applies in most other countries too as long as you can prove that you are really you!

SM
just general info for any brides to be, as the wedding and holiday season fast approaches-
i am getting married on may 30th, travelling on honeymoon june 2nd. i have received my new passport to use after my wedding. it arrived within one week of posting which i though was very efficient. it was a simple process of completing a usual application form with new photos (2) and less than half of the entire form applied to me as i had a passport and simply wanted to change my name
i was sent a little form to be signed by the officiator of our wedding (priest in our case) after i emailed them to ask how i went about applying, and i had to pay the full fee of £72. the remaining valid period of my old passport has been added onto my new one and the turn around time was very impressive from start to finish, very fuss free.

you can obtain a new passport in this way up to 3 months before your wedding date, but you must be aware that your old one will have to be posted back to the passport office with you new application, therefor you cannot travel for the period between your application and your wedding, which is the first date your new passport is valid.

and of course, if you plan to do this, you must ensure that your holiday booking is in your married name, as that will appear on your new passport-obvious i know, but i have heard many a story!

i found that i was getting conflicting information when i started to find out about applying for mine, so hopefully this is useful :tup
am travelling to turkey mid July can you tell me will be ok if my son's passport runs out in september or should i get a new one before we go
i would defiantly be inclined to get a new one now, the unused months will be added to the new one so nothing is lost
hi all,
i know some one here will be able to answer my questions.
just picked up 3 passport application forms for my 3 children and trying to understand how to fill them in correctly is as clear as mud to me.
they all have there own child passports which are due to expire in nov 09 there ages are 18, 16 & 12

do i apply for a renewal or do i have to apply for a first adult passport for the older two?
will i have to get the new photos signed by a countersignature?
for the 12 year old will i have to get new photos taken and if yes will they need to be signed by a countersignature.
thank tracey
Tracey,

You are applying for 2 adult renewals and one child renewal.

If the older children have changed greatly since their previous passport was issued, then you should get the form & photos countersigned, if they haven't then you won't need to.

Your youngest one is different, complete section 4 of the form (not needed for the older 2) and get section 10 and the reverse of one of the photos countersigned.

I'm not sure what you mean when you ask if you will need new photographs for your youngest? However all photographs submitted should have been taken within the last month or so prior to you sending them in.
thanks clownboy
i understand now i need to apply for all renewals.
the only thing i'm still not sure about is the youngest ones photo and section 10 you say i need to get section 10 and the reverse of one of the photos contersigned. only reading through the notes again i thougth i only had to get form and photo contersigned if the child was 11 or younger and my daugther is 12 and her apperance hasn't changed a lot.
i could be wrong about the above as i don't think the notes are explained clearly enough(but it could just be me :duh )
regards tracey
No you are quite right Tracey, but with a child of that age it's quite common for them to have changed a lot in 5 years and parents don't realise how much.

I was going down the very safe route, but as only you know how much or little your child has changed, it's obviously your call.
clownboy
thanks your right i'll get it signed better to be safe than sorry
tracey
Hi

Just had to get my daughters passport out as id to open her a new bank account. However, on her photo she has blonde hair and doesn't really look like she does now. It was a new passport she had done just two years ago, one of the new ones with that chip?? in one of the pages.

Should I be looking at getting the photo changed or do they allow for changes in appearances?

Sorry if this sounds like a silly question, just hate to leave it to the last minute to check.
hi, similar question really, just checked all our passports and my daughter had to have hers renewed jan 08 , she is 8, but has changed in the last 13 months ( you know what its like, all big teeth, different hairstyle and just looks lots older now !!) and she looks really poorly on her photo, bless ! so please can anyone tell me if it'll be ok ??
juby, I really do think it will be OK, otherwise I'm sure the passport office would make you change passport photo's for children every couple of years or so (and probably charge you for it!!).My grandaughers passport photo was taken at 3months and she is now 3years old - so of course looks nothing like her passport photo, but we have never had any problems. My old photo had me with short, brown ,curly hair and when I grew it long, straight and blonde, I never had a problem either.!

Denny
Hi, I'm going to Tenerife on 16th June until 29th June but my passport expires on the 5th July. Should i be ok to fly or do i have to get a new one?
Welcome to the forums DaleHm. A minimum 6 month passport validity rule is an entry or immigration requirement for some countries, but not for mainland Spain or its islands, where passports require to be valid only for the duration of your stay.

However, some airlines and tour operators stipulate the 6 month validity rule for all destinations, including Spain. If you are travelling with one of those companies, you would have to comply with their rules, which you should be able to find within their booking terms and conditions.

David :wave
juby 5 wrote:
my daughter had to have hers renewed jan 08 , she is 8, but has changed in the last 13 months
My daughter has just renewed hers (she's 16 now). Her last photo (from when she was 11) never looked like her even when she first had it done - it was a really horrid photo-booth one and came out badly and I didn't have time to get another one so she was stuck with it for 5 years - like I said, it never looked like her but there was never a problem using it. However, when we applied for her new passport last month we had to get her new photo countersigned again because it looks so different from her old one, so make sure you pay attention to that next time your daughter needs hers renewing!
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.