General Holiday Enquiries, Hints and Tips

General Holiday Enquiries? Got General Hints & Tips? Post Them Here.
I have booked a holiday to Crete and will fly with Easy Jet on 26th august for 2 weeks. My Sons passport runs out on 9th February 2010. Thats 5 months... so do I need to renew it before we go or will it be ok?
Thanks a lot.
bunnykin,

You need a minimum of 3 months on your passport from the date of exit to visit Greece. However some tour operators still insist on 6 months so it might be worth double checking with them just in case.

Darren
hi all

a quick note about passports

the so called 3 or 6 month rule on passports on expiry does only come into effect if you are travelling outside the EU. You only need 1 day on your passport to fly to any EU country.

I had this problem 3 years ago when my youngest sons passport had only 2 months left on it, i only new att the last minute when his mother told me.

i rang the cypriot embassy in london and they explained i amtravelling to an EU country so it does not matter as the passport is still vaid

The reason that outside EU countrys insist on 3/6 months on the pass port is to stop immigrants staying there.

but if you travel from england to any EU country you cant be an immigrant

thanks

nick
NIC
it doesn't matter what the embassy of the chosen country or even the eu convention has to say, If the flight operator wants 6 month [most British tour operators/airlines do] then they can /have refused to allow passengers to board who fail to meet their rules

wizard
Also,

The reason the 3/6 months thing was in place originally was to do with folk falling ill in the country they are travelling to.

Nothing to do with immigration.
sons old passport has arrived back in the post today so expecting new one any day now. :)
son's new passport arrived yesterday(friday) panic over. :tup
hi all

tour opperators always recommend 3/6 months left on a passport . But as i mentioned before if you are travelling to another EU country you only need 1 day left on your passport travelling back.

i took my son too cyprus in august, his passport was due to run out in october, 2 months left. it is not our end that matters it is the customs of the destnation you are flying to that counts. I

phoned cyprus emnassy in london and they comfirmed only one day needed EU country.

The best thing to do is check with the embassy of the eu country you are flying too

thanks

nick
pompeynick66 wrote:
hi all

tour opperators always recommend 3/6 months left on a passport . But as i mentioned before if you are travelling to another EU country you only need 1 day left on your passport travelling back.

i took my son too cyprus in august, his passport was due to run out in october, 2 months left. it is not our end that matters it is the customs of the destnation you are flying to that counts. I

phoned cyprus emnassy in london and they comfirmed only one day needed EU country.

The best thing to do is check with the embassy of the eu country you are flying too

thanks

nick

As already mentioned, some airlines will INSIST on six months validity remaining, regardless of destination. It's not worth taking the risk of being refused travel in my opinion.
pompeynick66 wrote:
only outside the EU

No, not the case at all. This can apply to ANY destination.

http://www.holidaytruths.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=45&t=36519&start=0
tour operators have nothing to do with passport control, they can only recommend. they cantstop you flying if the country you are flying to do not need 3/6 months on passports re EU country.

sorry mate you are wrong
sorry pompeynick66
YOU are the one that is wrong, the final say as to who gets past check in and on to an aircraft lies with the staff employed by that airline [whether directly or sub-contracted] IF the airline say 3/6 months remaining then thats it ..they can refuse to accept you for boarding and further more you Will Not be entitled to a refund for breaching the airlines terms and conditions

wizard
please name me an airline in england that would insist on 3/6 months to fly to another EU country and i will personally phone them with the new EU regulations
All EU nationals need a valid id or passport that is valid for the length of the trip. Yu only need to prove you id , the reason british need a passport is because we do not have a national identy card. The passport only needs to cover the required trip when travelling to another eu country.

If i was going to live and work in cyprus and took a one way flight why would i need more than 3/6 months on my passport to fly.
Tell you what. As you seem to think we're making this up why don't you travel with the amount of validity remaining you choose to? Your choice, your risk, your problem.

For anyone else, do please heed the advice given and don't travel anywhere with less than six months validity remaining, this is no fairytale, it's fact :)
The fact is

Eu regulations state that all EU citizens including british need a identity card or passport to travel within the EU. I do agree that some travel agents etc will tell you 3/6 months because they really dont know.

i have checked so far 12 eu countries and all allow you to enter their country and leave their country as long as your passport is valid.

the easy thing to do is if you have a passport with lets say 1 month left on it , phone the airline.

I do agree with you that you may get an airline that insist on 3/6 months to travel around europe, but i have searched and searched for several weeks and not found anyone that has had a problem travelling with less than 3 months on their passport.

I am sure that airlines and travel agents know the regulations by now.
PASSPORT FEE INCREASE - SEPTEMBER 2009

Passport fees are set to rise by around 7% in September, bringing the cost of an adult passport to £77.50 and a child's passport to £49.

The increase is being attributed to the cost of enhanced passport security measures, the cost of overseas consular assistance services provided by the Foreign and Commonwealth Office, and also the recession, which has resulted in a decrease in passport applications and a loss of revenue at the Identity & Passport Service.

If your passport is due for renewal within the next 9 months, you could renew it now to avoid the price increase, and have the unexpired period of your old passport transferred to the new passport.

David :wave
Had a feeling the price would increase soon, sent mine off for renewal on Friday just gone. I'd got 9 months left on it, glad I did now :tup
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.