General Holiday Enquiries, Hints and Tips

General Holiday Enquiries? Got General Hints & Tips? Post Them Here.
Hi porker .. the Spanish Embassy would only tell you what is repeatedly said in this topic, namely that for Spain (mainland and islands), passports require to be valid only for the duration of your stay. However, some airlines and tour operators stipulate a 6 month validity rule for all destinations, including Spain. If you are travelling with one of those companies, you would have to comply with their rules, which you should be able to find within the booking terms and conditions on their website, or the passport/travel documents section if there is one.

David :wave
This is what it says on the Thomsons website:
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Important Information - PassportsWhere can I find passport information?
Visit the government website http://www.ukpa.gov.uk for detailed, up-to-date information on passport validity, renewing and applying for passports. If you're a British citizen, you need a full, 10-year British passport for all holidays featured. Ordinarily holiday companies and the UK Passport Office suggest that passports should be valid fro at least 6 months after you return. Each country, however, sets its own rules covering this. More information can be found from the embassy or consulate of the country you plan to visit.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
thanks for all your replys,i have sorted it now the spanish embassy say as long as your passport is valid on departure it is ok :cheers
Does anyone know how quick the turn around time is at peterborough on a one week atm, I had appointment yesterday for child's 1st passport and wanted to know the current turn arounf time.

Thanks in advance
hello i just want to ask if my boyfriends passport will be ok to use. he has had it for about 5 years and it is starting to look quite worn. the actual picture page which is obviously the main part isa absolutely fine with no marks or tears and you can see everything very clearly, its just i think he took it out with him one night for i.d purposes and a drink got spilt on it. a couple of the front pages look slightly damaged around the outside pages where it looks like something wet has been on it around the edges of the pages. nothing is torn and like i said the actual main page is absolutely fine. will this matter? we go to corfu in 8 weeks. :cheers

thanks mel
mel.w.76,

As long as the information / photo page is intact and not damange or defaced in any way, it should be ok. If there's any damage to that page, they'll often refuse it as it could have been tampered with.

Darren
ok thanks

no its not damaged or defaced. so my mind is now at rest :cheers

mel
If you have a passport office close by ....or the post office let them see the condition and ask advice
much better than turning up at airport and not being allowed to go
Hiya Ppl.

After making a post on mse, i was advisd by luci to come ask you guys, so here i am.

Anyways, I'm off to Paris in Sept and need to sort out my passport. Problem is, I've got the forms to apply for a new one but can't locate my old one. I had it last about 3 years back but can't remeber how long it was for, what year I first applied for it or when it ran out. I'm 98% certain that it would def have run out by now but I'm not sure what I'm meant to do now, in terms of apply for a first time passport because I don't have any of the details from my old one, apply for a replacement (saying my old one is lost) or what.

Any/All help/advice would be very much appreciated.

Thanks

James
cd02,

I would go down the lost / stolen passport route (details on IPS website) then re-apply for a new one once that's all sorted.

Darren
One querie regarding passports, my friend has a passport that is very creased and worn on the edges like it's been soaked however the page where the reader is and the strip is perfect.
Well the passport is fine just the cover of it a little bit shoddy, whats best advice.
boygeorgefan,

As long as the information page is in tact and not damaged in any way, it'll be ok. If the edges look like they've been tampered with or become delaminated, it may be questioned. If it's in a sorry state, it's best to get it renewed.

Darren
boygeorge fan

i have split your post from the flights thread and merged it with the passport thread.. if you read back you will find information on damaged passports

wizard
took son's application form to post office for check and send. photos got rejected because of red eye. he got some more photos done rejected again small shadow by ear, redone again at a different place and i thought they would reject those ones as he appeared to be looking slightly downwards these passed. now i'm paranoid passport office will reject them.
so my question is once the cheque has been cashed from my bank account does that mean the passport is in the post.
i think (not 100% sure) that if done by check and send then it is automatically passed hope i'm right.
regards tracey
Tracey,

No, the fee is taken by the Post Office and they send the IPS the money at regular intervals.

Therefore the fee being taken out of your account is not relevant to when the passport is issued.

Also, the check and send service is just that, they check it and send it to the IPS, there is no guarantee that it will be correct nor that a passport can be issued.

If the IPS need to contact you, then you can usually claim back the check and send fee (not the passport fee).
you can't claim back the passport fee :really
so if they don't accept the photos or the form is not filled in correctly i forfit the £72 i have paid and have to fill in another form or get new photos and pay £72 again.
this isn't correct is it?
and what are we paying the post office to check and send it for if the passport office can reject it anyway, i thought the post office staff were trained to check the form properly and it automatically passed. :que
just a quickie with regards to turnaround time at the mo - the passport office received my daughters form at their newport office on wed 10th june ( sent signed delivery so I could check! ).... and was just looking on their website for estimated times when the courier banged on the door with it!!

So for a childs renewal ( without check and send ) door to door in 14 days, happy with that :)
trasjohno wrote:
you can't claim back the passport fee so if they don't accept the photos or the form is not filled in correctly i forfit the £72 i have paid and have to fill in another form or get new photos and pay £72 again.
this isn't correct is it?
and what are we paying the post office to check and send it for if the passport office can reject it anyway, i thought the post office staff were trained to check the form properly and it automatically passed.
As far as I'm aware, if there's a problem with your photos or application form, the passport office will write to you and ask for another set of photos, or for more information for the form, or whatever is required to complete the application.
I assume this means that you will forfeit the fee if you fail to supply additional photos/information and therefore fail to continue with your application. As long as you supply the photos/information they ask for, it should be okay.
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.