General Holiday Enquiries, Hints and Tips

General Holiday Enquiries? Got General Hints & Tips? Post Them Here.
By getting a professional to do it who has experience of baby passport photos.

It's too close to departure date to risk a DIY photo and perhaps have it rejected.
True Luci - I hadn't thought of that!
Passport pics done for £5.99 so not bad.
How long do you need left on your passport to gain entry into Egypt please? We've booked a holiday there for April next year and my present passport runs out in July '13. I think some countries require up to 6 months validity. Also, if I apply for a new passport a couple of months before it expires will I lose out by a couple of months or do they add it on.

Thanks
Hi Shirley ... 6 months passport validity is required for Egypt. You can have up to 9 months remaining validity transferred from your old to your new passport.

David :wave
Thanks David, in that case I'll need to renew soon after this year's summer holiday. Now all I have to do is remember.
How much does it cost to renew an adult passport these days please?
Thanks David, the basic one will do me fine :tup
Passport application all filled out and ready to go tomorrow. In the end we didn't need to pay over £90 for the fast track. Our post office is holding a deal at the moment. Pay £8 and they check through it then they send it via fast track and it's guaranteed back within 3 weeks. Great deal as now I only have to pay £49 to the passport office instead of over £90 :tup
Should be plenty of time Marlou.

Did the post office tell you what your compensation would be if the passport wasn't returned within three weeks?

I'm only asking as it sounds very much like their usual check and send process which attracts the same fee, but isn't a guaranteed service.

Like I say, should get it back in plenty of time, just strange that the Post Office can offer a guarantee on a service that they have no control over.
Don't make me sweat now Clownboy :yikes

Well this passport lark isn't going well. After taking it to the post office and them wanting the baby's birth certificate, I made another trip up there. This time with all the documents. It should have been straight forward as it had already been checked after the first visit. She took it from me however and suddenly went O dear. I asked her what was wrong and she said that right at the bottom of the picture you could just about see hubby's thumb :duh I told her that was strange as we'd had the pic taken in a proper photo shop. She said well they should have known better. Anyway she said they would hopefully accept it but couldn't guarantee it. Well it's been sent away so we will see. Hopefully whoever will be issuing it will miss it like the post mistress did yesterday!!!!
:duh Fingers crossed it's fine as there'll be no time to get another one done. Surely they can cut the bottom off if it's only right at the very bottom
I've just renewed my passport Marlou and it came back in less than three weeks, I didn't pay for the post office to check it as the form was so simple to complete for a renewal. It didn't expire till July but as we were going away shortly I thought I'd apply earlier and they dated it for July so I didn't lose anything. It must have been difficult taking Ava-May's photo as she's so young and the passports for children are expensive aren't they do they only last for three years?
5 years they last Jean. I'm crossing everything and praying it'll be fine and back in time.
hi marlou...I wouldnt worry about the photo....they specificaly tell you not to cut it to size ..if I remember it right....as they cut it to fit ...probably with a machine....and the photo in your passport is smaller than the one you send them....so dont think the bit of thumb you can hardly see on a bottom edge will bother them...as it will get cut off....tweetie
My youngest lad has just been 'stung' in Hong Kong.
He had over 5 years left on his passport and he'd run out of pages for the various stamps, so much so, that there wasn't a pinhead space left and they were stamping over stamps...he's visiting New Zealand in 6 weeks so he thought it best to get a new one with jumbo pages....48 instead of 32.
The cost (in the UK) for a passport with jumbo pages is £90- 50 (normal service)..He had to go to the British Consulate in HK and the price?
£154-50 and you must pay a courier fee of £19-86 to cover the cost of the return of supporting documents, and for the delivery of the new passport from the UK.
Total £174-36....ouch, ouch, ouch!

Sanji x
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.