Spain - Costa Blanca Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in the Costa Blanca.
Well, the Hotel does not incur any charges. (at least I don't think they do)You simply dial the number to get an outside line and then enter the card number with your pin number and destination phone number and hey presto. At least that is what my parents and I do.

We have never been challenged to date, and surely if it was illegal the Hotel's switchboard system would not allow such calls to be made from guest rooms.
I'd be interested to know if anyone else has used a card from their hotel room before I try it, knowing my luck I'd end up with a great big bill :lol:

Sue :)
hi sue not actually staying in an hotel staying at the don miguel 1 apartments do the hotels have phones inside the foyer?
I'd be interested to know if anyone else has used a card from their hotel room before I try it, knowing my luck I'd end up with a great big bill

What I did was make a very short phone call to my own number, left a brief message and then went down to ask to pay my phone bill where I was informed I did not owe anything, so I then made a call later that evening and went down the following day to pay my bill and again was informed I did not owe anything and so I;ve been doing this ever since.
thanks gazza i know where it is now you mention it havent been since last september :( cant wait till 4 weeks today 8)
Hi Spanna, most of the hotels have public phone boxes in the public areas so as previously mentioned, you can just walk in and use them.

As your apartment is in the Rincon Area, (although I don't know exactly where) if you find yourself up by the Flamingo Oasis during your stay then I know for certain that you can use the cards in there, I used one on numerous occasions whilst staying there in March.

When we stayed at the Regente in May you could not use them as you had to get a line from reception and the cards did not work.

I suppose you'll just have to suss it out when you get there.

Have a great time.

hi sue thanks for youre reply the apartments we are staying in are on the beach front near mcdonalds think ile stick to the phone booths when i was there last there was one just off the beach front and it was only 15c a minute to call home.
that enough for me going away for a bit of peace!!!! :roll:
what numbers do i need to phone home on my mobile
if my number was
what do i add or take away to phone home :?:
what numbers do i need to phone home on my mobile if my number was
01207123456 what do i add or take away to phone home

If you re enter and save your home phone number in your mobile phone address book as: - +441207123456 then all you need to do is look up the number and press 'call'.....the + symbol saves you having to dial 0044 each time you want to call a UK Landline number.

I'm not 100% sure about dialling mobile phones in the UK from a mobile phone overseas, but I think all you have to do is simply dial the mobile number without prefixing it with a county dialling code as the mobile you are calling could in effect be based anywhere in the world.

If you don't want to enter the + in yiur handset, then you simply dial:

0044 1207123456 (ommiting the first zero from the number)
to call a uk mobile you would use + or 0044 again - omit the first zero and dial as usual ie 0044 7900 123456.... make sure you check the restrictions are lifted from both your mobile account with your service provider and also on your handset itself... check with your service provider for their 'partner' network in spain that givesthe best coverage and cheapest rates - some networks work out cheaper for you to receive a call than make one..oh and cancel your voicemail facility unless you REALLY need it - it costs a fortune.... oh and don't use a 'calling card' with your mobile only a pay phone unless its recommended by your UK network as very few (if any) work in conjunction with your mobile and they will cost you more than a fortune!!!! :roll:

sorry if you know all this already (or it has been posted already) but I work for one of the major UK networks and you'd be surprised how many people don't check these things out before travelling....!!!!
We bought a €6 euro phone card from Andy's in the indoor market.
I knew that you got 200+ minutes in some of the hotel as opposed to 50ish minutes from the public phones. Luckily the Pelicanos accepted the card as I knew that some of them put a block on you using them.

I was also pleasantly surprised to discover that the phone situated outside the Oasis gave the same amount of minutes as the hotels. I have previously put euros in that particular phone and noticed that you don't seem to get as long as some of the other street phones. I now realise that it must be linked to the hotel.

Using a phone card is so much more convenient and cheaper than using €'s. I would highly recommend them. I have lost umpteen €'s in the past by an answer machine coming on or the return coin flap been up which instantly loses you your money, it's very frustrating. :twisted:
You just put an access number in followed by your personal pin number which you scratch off and then 0044 drop the 0 on the area code and then put the rest of the number in, it then tells you how many minutes you have remaining and that's it.

I lent mine to my mother-in-law and she was a bit miffed by it at first. She wanted to know where we inserted the card :lol: then when she's finished using it, she wanted to know how we paid for the call. :lol:

I Live in Spain and use these cards all the time even from our landline find them excellent. Also use skype which is great if the other person has skype you can call them for free. Also can use it for texting which is cheaper than texting from your mobile. To download skype free goto http://www.cheap-talk.com
Thanks Sue, wish I'd known about those cards earlier, I'd ....Sorry, Tom......had used up my £20 top up on my mobile within a week :? :? I'm on contract but to use it abroad it needs a minimum of £10 top up. :evil:
Next time. :roll:
hi please could someone help me i am going to buy a spainish sim so i can get cheaper calls to the uk i have heard of a card you can buy to use with your spainish sim you put in a number and get alot cheaper calls to the uk has anyone used them and if so are they any good they cost 6 euros and 12 euros thanks Diane
a mate of mine spends loads of time in spain and he has just bought a spanish sim says its really cheap
hi thanks for all your help is it cheaper to buy a vodafone sim card with say 6euro credit on out in spain or buy one from ebay? how much would a sim card cost in spain? thanks
you can phone an english landline it costs us 40 cents to talk for a hour it saves us loads of money
where do you buy the sim's from, or can you get them from the uk. do you need to get your phone unlocked first oh do they work in voadphone.

** Edit - Thank you for reposting without the phone text style. luci HT Mod **
Hi you can get a spanish sim card at the indoor market,When i was there in july i bought a phone card for 600 euros come home with 257 minutes still on it great buy cheers mazza
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.