Spain - Costa Blanca Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in the Costa Blanca.
Joking aside it is going to be a pain for those that only come out a couple of times a year and then find out that they have lost their phone numbers! Especially likes of Sanji who have money on their phones. Thanks David for doing the link
I'm confused...I know it doesn't take much to confuse me, but mobile phones do :(

I'm hoping that our phones are registered, TBH it's that long ago since we bought them (sim cards) that I have no idea.
The first sim card was bought at Andys in the indoor market and he also unlocked the phone.
The second phone was unlocked and an Amena sim card inserted by an "Amena shop" in Arroyo de la Miel, Costa del Sol and I got a load of leaflets with it explaining the various tarriffs and other services, but I'm pretty sure we never produced our passportss in both cases....I have a strong feeling that the second phone must be registered, otherwise I wouldn't have had all the leaflets etc and it's sods law that, that phone has the lesser euros on it.

It would be a great help if someone could pop in and see Andy with the information posted for an explanation/clarification on the matter...otherwise, I notice they are giving a little grace after the 1st October for the people out of the country...I have to hope that extends to Xmas.

sanji
  • Edited by Sanji 2008-08-25 22:54:30
Hi Sanji, if nobody looks in before, I wll pop in to Andy's at the end of September whilst i'm in Beni and hopefully clarify things for you.

Sue :)
Cheers Sue, that's very nice of you :kiss
I hate wasting money, we "topped" them both up in June and there's about 60 euros on them (total).

That 60 euros would be better off in my pocket than Amena/Orange....the phone (whilst handy)....I can live without.

Sanji
i think my problem may be resolved :duh
i charged up my spanish mobile yesterday, and have got no connection anymore. so either vodaphone is down at the moment or i should have topped it up on my last visit.
what a pain!
still i'll now have to go and see what is required to get a new sim when i'm back next week.
Have been told just need passport, Home address and they asked for the phones number also need to take phone with you as they need number of sim card as well.

Just an update registered my mobile jsut needed passport, phone number and address.
Got my new sim card and all i needed to show was my passport.
lady in shop filled in the form, took some details of my passport and that was it!
now all i've got to do is get them to send my messages in english.
That''s good news Jim :tup
I'm fretting here because I can't see us getting back to Spain before the 20th December. :cry

I keep looking every day to try and get out there this month, but there's nothing that I would call a bargain for a short notice jaunt.
They're having a tin bath at some of the prices that are coming up between tomorrow and the end of September.

Still about 90 days to go before the 20th December....I'll just have to hope that they give enough leaway until such time as I'm back on Spanish soil.

Sanji
Hello.

I've just got back from Benidorm, and I went into Andy's on Wednesday to check on the situation. I know that my sim card isn't registered and I asked him how I could register it. He said that I would have to fill in the form that now comes with all new sim cards. Unfortunately the phone companies only give him exactly enough forms for the number of sims he orders. He hopes he will be getting some of the forms in soon and told me to come back on my next visit in October.

I asked about the deadline of 1st October and he said that as far as he was aware it would take much longer than the end of this year, so he didn't think it would be a problem.

I hope he's right. :(
Hi Pebbles
I've never gotten into the technology of phones, so I'm pretty thick where mobile phones are concerned, :oops: I don't use them very often in the UK, although they are handy in Spain to keep in contact locally with my hubby, friend, and to phone home a couple of times a week.
So basically, all I do is phone on them and top them up within 12 months when in Spain to keep within the contract, I've never had the urge to go any further than that.
So what is the situation regarding the present sim cards in your phone with credit on them ? am I understanding this, that if you purchase a new sim card you will supply them with the information that they need.
Can you register your present sim card details.? or do I lose all the money on the present sim cards and have to buy new ones.?

Told you I was thick :rofl

Sanji
Sanji,

When Andy gets some extra forms you can fill one of those in with the information about you current sim card. The reason I couldn't do it was that at the moment he only gets one form per sim and will have to get extras for the older sims he has sold before this silly new directive came out.

I'm just hoping he's right about it not coming in to force for some time, I would hate to lose my credit and my number. (I've only just learned the damned thing!)
Thanks Pebbles :kiss
I would hate to lose my credit and my number. (I've only just learned the damned thing!)

I couldn't tell you the numbers of the phones we possess either, it took me ages just to figure out how to display the "own number" on the blinkin thing, and when we get these messages from Amena/Orange, my hubby passes me the phone and says "get rid of that for me please" :rofl
He has even less idea than me :roll:

Sanji
Managed to get both phones registered last week.
Went to Andy's, but he couldn't do it because if your phone is Amena/Orange, you have to go to the Orange shop, which thankfully is also in the indoor market.

You need your passport and both Andy's and Orange are charging €2 for each phone registered. ( Administration charges??????)

I was told by the girl in the Orange shop that a bit of scaremongering was done about this, it will probably be next year before they bring this into force (register) or you lose your number.

According to the rules, I now live in Benidorm and I live in the inside market. :tup :zip
I really cannot see what purpose this will achieve apart from plenty of euro's being handed over for a document that is as much use to me, as having a kite with no wind.

Sanji
Thanks for reminding me. I will do mine later in the month. This had totally slipped my mind.
This had totally slipped my mind.

Pebbles, the first signs of old age dear. :rofl

Sanji :wave
I Know!!!

I just don't need reminding (about the old age bit.) The fact I need to register is V important. It will kill me to have to learn another number!!!!!!!!!
last week while in benidorm i bought a spanish mobile from andys in the market. he said there would be 3 euros credit on it and within 48 hrs a further 9 euros credt free, and then when i top up for the first time my top up will be doubled by orange. the first 3 euros was used up in about 5 minutes just by calling uk without reply. the 9 euros has not gone on yet after6 days of waiting. i have had 2 messages from orange, but their in spanish and i dont understand them!!!!!!!!!!!! can anyone help??????
If you click on this link theres an advertisement for Andys with a Phone number at the bottom, dont know if thats for them or the Indoor Market itself, but worth ringing to check!

http://www.thebenidormmap.com/advertiser_info.php?advertiserID=104

Best Regards - Taggy
thanks for that i will give it a try.
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.