Spain - Costa Blanca Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in the Costa Blanca.
Andy's in the indoor market will unlock phones. The have sim cards at the best prices too.
Am travelling to benidorm in feb with two teenage girls who want to do their own thing am thinking of buying a sim card in benidorm for two mobiles but have a couple of questions 1 would the phones have to be unlocked both virgin and 2 how much are the sims would probably end up making a feww calls to each other over the week any info would be appreciated thanks kathy :?
i bought a vodaphone(sp) SIM last year at the vodaphone shop in lloret.it cost 24 euros and i got 18 euros credit on it.
i had to top it up within 5 months or i would lose the number, but was able to do that in the local tabac.
you can unlock a lot of phones free on the net, just by inserting a code,but check before you get involved with this by simply trying another SIM card in the phones as some phones on "old" contracts were never locked anyway.
i still take my uk phone as i get good rates to phone uk on my contract, but for local calls in spain,or calls to other mobiles with spnish SIM cards it is very cheap.
Hi . i got my vodafone mobile unlocked at andys , and got a new sim card at the same time , that was in september , only thing is i wont be back till april , does that mean i will lose my number if i havent topped up (i thought it was a year you were allowed) . and is there anyway i could even top it up here at a shop or online.

thanks for any help.
"i have heard of a card you can buy to use with your spainish sim you put in a number and get alot cheaper calls to the uk "

andy gave me a number to put in before you call to the uk , it worked out well cheap about 30p for half an hour to a scottish landline :shock: .
Hi . i got my vodafone mobile unlocked at andys , and got a new sim card at the same time , that was in september , only thing is i wont be back till april , does that mean i will lose my number if i havent topped up (i thought it was a year you were allowed) . and is there anyway i could even top it up here at a shop or online.

I think if you scroll back a few pages I have given advice about Spanish sim cards and Andy's in the indoor market and if you can get your phone unlocked before you go to Benidorm, then all the better.!
When we decided to go over to a Spanish network, there were not many places where you could get your phone unlocked in the Uk, but now, there are and a dam site cheaper than we were going to be charged.
We've had our Spanish phones quite some years now, I say phones because at first I used to swop the sim cards on arriving in Spain, but then I picked up 2 phones cheap on Ebay, same model as the ones we were using in both the UK and Spain, and now the sim cards stay permanently in our "Spanish phones".

We have just topped our phones up in the indoor market, both putting 10 euros on each phone and this will last for another year....we are with Amena (which is now Orange) and you can top up through their website...other networks will also have websites and the ability to do this.

Sanjiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii
Hi tartanscone, I think you may be on about a eurocard which costs 6 euros. I have a Spanish vodafone sim card (which was bought at Andy's in the Indoor market) and use this with the eurocard. After dialling the local number for Valencia you then enter you pin number and you will them be prompted to dial your number. It works out around 800 minutes to a landline in the UK for 6 euros plus 40 cents each time I connect to the Valencia number off my sim credit.

Anyone fearful of losing their spanish sim through inactivity can send themselves a text message to their phone in this country, once a chargable deduction is made then your sim is fine. I'm not sure about the time period in which a chargeable call/text needs to be made to be honest but I think the cost is 60 cents.
Thanks for your help sam , i put my spanish sim card in here , and i did the vodafone for money balance , and i got a text from spain.

where do i get the eurocards sam ?
Hi Tartanscone, You can buy them in most shops where top up credit can be bought although we normally stay around the calle ibiza area and the exchange shop and various supermarkets also sell them around that area. Best 6 euros I spend when in Beni!!
I'm having a 'blonde' day today :que
Can I please recap what I think I need to glean from these posts and can anybody please tell me if I'm right or correct me if I'm wrong :thanks

We are a family of 6 going to Costa Blanca, Mum, Dad, Daughter, partner, son and friend.
From what I've read, we can take 3 mobile phones (pay as you go, unlocked) with us and insert Spanish sim cards into them. We may be able to purchase these from ebay. This will enable us to keep in contact with everyone at a cheaper rate that using our own uk payg sims in our 'normal' phones?

Right or wrong? :que
that is correct sal , i would take all three phones to andys in the indoor market (you cannae miss it) and he will sort you out by unlocking them and puting in spanish sims. (ps your phones might not even need unlocked)

hope that helps.
Hello

Hoping that someone can help. I have a spanish mobile phone currentley with a orange sim card in. My uncle whom lives in benidorm is on vodafone i tend to call or text him a lot whilst im in benidorm whats the best network to go with as i find the orange one to be a bit pricey

catherine
If you buy a Spanish sim card you will now have to show passport and get it registered. All non registered Spanish pay as you go numbers as being blocked as from 1st October.
Guess I'll have to register mine then. I've had it 5 years and never bothered. Do you know an easy way to register your sim? I looked on the vodafone.es site, but couldn't manage it.
All non registered Spanish pay as you go numbers as being blocked as from 1st October

Hi Fudgey
Can you give us some more details on the blocking bit please, I (we) have 2 PAYG phones with quite a few euros on them and I prefer not to lose that money if possible.
T'was the old Amena, now Orange and I bought the sim cards in Spain, I'm not very good with the techno side of phones, ours just phone and nothing else and I've no idea if they've been registered or not.

Cheers
Sanji
i'm interested in this as well.
i've never heard of this move, and am due to top up my phone next month when i'm back in lloret. i would normally just do this on the machine in the tabac, but it makes no sense to do this if they are going to bar them from 1st october.
i've never registered mine, i just went into the vodaphone shop and bought the sim card.
there were a load of forms in spanish about registering for "customer services" but i doubt if that is what you are referring to.
please provide some further information on this.
Taken from the Coastrider 5th Aug. Ed: 236:

http://www.coastrider.net/editions/236/news_main.htm
(Scroll down to 13th article on page)

I have not registered my mobile as yet and will be going into The Telefonica shop in the next week or so will let you all know what happens. I am with Movistar.
  • Edited by David 2008-08-24 18:56:10
    Post edited for copyright reasons. Weblink inserted to replace quoted text.
I wonder how long it would take members of Al-Qaeda and other terrorist organizations to work out that they can get anyone with a passport and padron to buy a phone on their behalf.
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.