Tunisia Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Tunisia.
did this trip when in skanes in 2004 with my 3 and 6 yr old boys, my children still talk about it now it was such an experience even for them and were so glad we did it (even though it was mid july and very very very hot) truly amazing.
take snacks for the kids though as they get hungry sitting around on the coach for so long.
enjoy! :D
On the explorer trip, where you pay extra would a lad of 12 who looks much older be classed as an adult ?
I can't wait to go on it hubby not too sure, but after reading about the one that has more room on the coach, i think that will swing it.

Also is it best to go with your tour operator?

Thanks
Angela
hi shanik

ive asked the same questions about the select journey where you get more room on the coach. Unfortunately i was told that this trip is only available for adults, no children allowed. I have also been told that people trying to sell the trip may be cheaper but travel agents are more reliable.

i hope this helps. may be if you 12 year old looks like an adult you will get away with it, but mine is only 5 so i think i will struggle

anyway hope you have a nice holiday. i fly out on sunday, cant wait
Hi, last year we had our 12 year old son with us on this trip, as he was then about 5'10" he certainly looked older, and we just paid child price. Take a photocopy of his passport - wherever you go, uk or abroad - to confirm his age if challenged.

There doesnt seem to be much difference in price between tour operators, and by booking through your one, you are assured an english speaking guide.

He'll have a magic time - as will you!

Regards
mgb

ps.. my hubby is 6' tall too, and both he and my son had to sit in aisle seats with their legs swung outwards, so the extra money for the roomier coach might be well spent!
Will be there in 1 week and really want to do Sahara trip. We going to Kanta with panorama (my travel). Whats the best way to book the trip? Through panorama or is there an alternative? Though i defo want to do the one where you stay overnight in the hotel! Rough idea of cost in dinar any one?
hi just got back from skanes this morning and while i was there i went on the sahara trip with my travel agent. i didnt see anybody else selling the trip the only other things available were camel caravan but we decided on the sahara. This cost us £70.00 each and half price for our 5 year old (exchange rate was 2.4 dinars to the pound so it worked out cheaper for us to pay in dinars as thompsons exchange rate was less) i would definately recommend going, well worth the money really enjoyed it but it was a little tiring. anyway hope you have a good time.
thats great!!! I ll stick with panorama excursions!! Cant wait to see Sahara
Thanks
:wave
Just a short note about the trip...............don't even stop to think about it..just book it and go, you will not regret it!!!!!
Having said that.......we booked through Thompson and had a fantastic time, some others we spoke to went with Thomas Cook and missed loads of what we saw and paid more for the trip!! Maybe it would be worth checking before booking just what you get for your money??? We stayed overnight in a hotel on the edge of the Sahara and saw the sunrise over the desert etc. Our friends stayed nearly 2 hours journey away from the Sahara and missed out on quite a lot. Made us feel a bit guilty actually to think we had had a better trip for less money!! :oops:
We returned from Sousse on Sunday, after a fantastic 2 weeks. We did the Sahara Explorer trip midway through our first week and it was the major highlight of our holiday. We went with Thomsons, at a cost of around £170 for 2 adults and one 9 year old (Excellent value for money)
The first day is amazing, with stops at El Jem and Matmata on the way to your hotel in Douz. After a couple of hours rest (fantastic swimming pool & sulphur pool at the hotel), you get to do the camel ride (dressing-up clothes available to hire from the hotel shop for 3TD, including a headband you get to keep). We were out on the camels for about an hour & had 2 wonderful guides, Ede & Ali. There was the usual tourist photographer taking photos of you on the camels, which were ready to buy when you got off at only 2TD each (the speed in which they develop them is unbelievable!!)
We return to our hotel for dinner and bed, as we were leaving at 5.30am the next morning.
Day 2 consisted of seeing the sunrise over the salt lakes, a horse & carriage ride through an oasis and a trip up the Atlas mountains in a land cruiser to see Tunisias biggest waterfall (not as impressive as it sounds) Personally we could of done without the land cruiser bit but it all added to the experience.
The resturant you stop at for lunch on the second day was the most expensive one we experienced in Tunisia. Although lunch is included on the trip, you need to pay for drinks (make sure you take plenty of dinar)
We are hoping to return to Tunisia next year and plan on doing the Sahara experience then, where you spend the night in a desert camp, but we would do the explorer trip again if the other isn't available.
great trip for adults,,,,
Although I've been to Tunisia a dozen times, I'm ashamed to say I've never actually done an official guided Sahara trip but I'm definitely going to do it when I go out next month. I'm travelling d.i.y. but will probably book it through Eden Tours, or I've been told the hotel can put me in touch with Saphir Voyages. I'm a bit dubious of camels though as I fell off one once in Australia. :roll:
Can anyone tell me about the jeep atlas mountain trip. I was in an accident with someone else driving and am therefore a very nervous passenger. What are the drivers and roads like? Is it scary?
Just got back last night from PEK, and I did the Sahara Explorer trip which I booked through Thomson.

The trip cost £96(plus a single room supplement of 15TD) and was, without a shadow of a doubt, THE major highlight of the holiday.

The trip was specifically for guests of the Royal Kenz hotel and was essentially the same as the standard Sahara explorer, except that all the guests on the trip were from our hotel, and the maximum number of travellers was 26(as it happens, only 23 booked - more room for all!)

I cant begin to describe how good the trip was, from El-jem, early on the first day, through lunch in Sfax(which was an unexpected pleasure), to Matmata, the camel ride and evening meal in the colonial-styled hotel in Douz.

The second day, another early start(I was awake at 4am) to see the sunrise over the salt lakes, then on to the oasis at Tozeur before transferring to 4x4 for the trip into the Atlas mountains - and one of my favorite parts of the trip, the mountain oasis of Chebika.

Most of the second day is taken up with travelling, but this in itself was a pleasure, as its possible to see far more of Tunisia than would otherwise be possible as a Tourist of one the major resorts.

I returned to my hotel in PEK around 5.30 on the second day, exhausted but fantastically pleased that I'd done the trip, discovered a little more of Tunisia and met some wonderful people in the process.

I was so impressed, I'm seriously thinking of doing an 8-day trip to the Sahara in the future :)

Can anyone tell me about the jeep atlas mountain trip. I was in an accident with someone else driving and am therefore a very nervous passenger. What are the drivers and roads like? Is it scary?

I wouldn't worry Anna, the drivers we had were steady and most importantly, very knowledgeable on the sometimes tight and twisty roads there - I never felt less than completely safe.
I did it with Saphir Voyages which I booked direct by phone when I got out there. It was 160 dinars plus 15 single sup for the overnight hotel and very good value. You do spend a lot of time on the coach but the timings weren't bad as we didn't leave Sousse until 6.30 on the first day, giving time to get breakfast first and started the next day about the same time. The sunrise was spectacular and it was nice to see lads up the trees harvesting the dates at the oasis.
Hi all-what a lot to read and take in--I have a back problem and desperately want to do the safari and wondered if anyone else with back problems has ever done it. I have spent time in jeeps on holidays before and with a special cushion I managed but I don't want to go to Tunisia and not do it-please any help.
I have back problems (fairly mild but still annoying and painful) and I managed ok by taking a cushion with me. I think that I found the jeeps more comfortable than the coach - there wasn't any off-road driving either.
Hi every one we are going to pek next august staying at the kanta and im so looking forward to the sahara trip.can anyone tell me what is the best thing to wear on the trip or can u wear what u like etc shorts bikini top.my only concern is my 15 old daughter who has special needs she is very nervous of any movin animal so when it comes to ride the camels she mite opt out but my other daughter and hubby and me all want to experience it is there a trailer she can ride on as ive heard somewhere that they do do that.wel many thanks one more thing can you use the pool at the hotel you stay at over nite or will it be to late by the time we get there christine :thanks :thanks :sun :sun :hyper :hyper
Hi Everyone again, I have seen the Sahara Select advertised in the Thompson brochure, has ayone used this and would this be better for my back
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.