Tunisia Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Tunisia.
A group of us will be travelling to Tunisia in late October. We're looking forward to doing the 2 day Sahara Tour.

My questions are about the Camel ride and Horse and Cart ride that are at an extra cost.

Can someone tell me how much each cost?

Also is this something you pay for locally or to your rep?

I've read mixed reviews some saying it cost about 7.5 dinars each and some saying a lot more up to 20 Euros each. Now after currency conversion that's still a big difference.
Just a quick question

Is it cheaper to book the sahara trip before you go, or when you get there through the rep or whoever?

And how much do you think I should expect to pay? I'm only really looking for the 2-day trip as I'll only be there for seven days anyway!

Thanks xx :tup
I don't think there will be much difference in price if you book before you go or when you're there. I booked locally with Saphir Voyages (phone number in my post above). Camel trip and the 'extras' were paid locally and about 7/10 dinars if I remember correctly. If you don't book through your rep just make sure you ask for an English speaking guide, as they cater for all nationalities (we even had a couple of Welsh on the one I did . :rofl )
Just got back from 2 weeks in PEK and did the sahara trip for the 2nd time. Slight change from last time as they (Thomson) have now ditched the horse and cart ride through the date palm plantation that we did last time. Our guide told us that the Thomson chief tried the trip earlier in the season and wasn't happy with that part of it so stopped including it in the package. However, the camel ride into the sahara was longer and we got off half way round to watch the sunset which was brilliant. The rest of the trip was as before. I can't help thinking that the locals in Matmata are missing a trick though as the 'Star Wars' hotel stop is getting really run down now and with a bit of investment could be so much more attractive to Star Wars fans and bring in a lot more revenue!
The only upset of the trip was returning from the mountain oasis in the 4x4 convoy. One of the Land Cruisers in front of us carrying some, we think, Spanish tourists flipped over and rolled several times across the road throwing the passengers out. The vehicle was totally trashed and 2 of the occupants were severely injured, we still don't know if they survived. If anyone has any news on this we would be grateful as it was horrific to witness and we have had no news on the outcome. It happened on Thursday 7th August at about 11 am.

eee
We did the 'Sahara Experience' trip this August with Thomson from Hammamet. This is the one where you sleep in a tent in the desert. It certainly was an experience! They take you across the desert (I believe 12 km) in one of those Noddy/Dotto trains to the camp. There was a sandstorm blowing and our train got stuck. They tried to dig it out, but eventually everyone had to push it out! Even without this delay, it is about an hour's trundle. We reached the camp at 8.45pm, had dinner at 9pm and were woken at 4am, for a 5am start. Not good, as when I enquired before booking, I was told it would be a 6am wake-up! So we arrived and left in the dark, so never really saw the camp! They tell you there is a swimming pool and to take your swimsuit, but I don't know when you would have time for a swim! It is a tiny pool.

We are glad we did the trip, in retrospect, but I doubt if we would have gone if we had known in advance how long the days would be and just how tiring it would be! If anyone has any questions about this trip, please ask!

Incidentally, the party from Sousse arrived after we were in bed! However they had the advantage of a 6am wake-up the next day!
Im going to Skanes in July with my husband and 3 children (age 14,12 and 8 ). I really want to go to the desert but wondered if antone could offer any advice around what to do when there, something thats suitable for the children too. Realloy fancy watching the sun rise, quad biking and of course a camel ride, but will all the children be able to do these things? Also, we are travelling with First Choice and have previously avoided their trips due to both the expense (paying for 5 people) and I have heard that you spend more time on the bus than in the actual location. Is this true? Any advice on other things to see also would be gratefully accepted. Cheers, SPOLDGE02. :tup
has anybody been on the sahara dessert 2 day trip with thomas cook we are looking to go to hammamet next may and would love to do this trip or is better to book dessert trip in hammamet
We did this trip through Thomas Cook (stayed in Hammamet) in June. My advice, book through the Thomas Cook rep. It might cost a little bit more but you'll have the peace of mind of having an English speaking tour guide that will look after you. Little things, like when it's not safe to drink the mint tea offered, can make all the difference. I wouldn't take small children, the heat, long days, would be too exhausting for them. El Djem, Matmarta, Sahara Desert on day one, up at 3am for the Salt Lake, Tozeur Oasis and the canyons on day two. Sahara at 5pm was 50C. Take a fan! We didn't sleep in a tent, this year was in a hotel - remember to take your swimming cozzies for the hotel's sulphur pool, you'll have time in the evening before the evening meal and then crashing out in bed.

We had a brilliant time :tup
The more I read about this, the more I want to do it but we are only there for 7 days so would it be worthwhile seeing as a lot of it involves travelling? Would be great to do only do it for 1 day but in a way that would be even less worthwhile for the same reasons. Shame we weren't going for 2 weeks! 50C is ridiculously hot too I'd stop functioning lol
Hi
Is the Sahara trip any good for someone who is with limited mobilty ? She doesnt need a wheelchair but struggles with steps etc

Thank you
We have just done this trip we did what Thomson call the Simply Saraha my Partner has mobility problems so for people in the future thinking of doing this trip, yes you can do it, the guide will tell you the parts where there are steps or steep inclines e.g by the waterfall. Just tell your rep who you book it with that you have mobility problems they will pass it on.
It should be noted that currently this excursion is not available. This is because of current security risks I believe along the Syrian border.
More likely to be the ongoing security risks along the Libyan and Algerian borders as Syria is some 2500 kilometres away.
Yep i stand corrected. Must of either received incorrect information or miss heard.
However i was dissapointed to find that this trip is currently not possible because of security issues.
Other local companies may still be doing the trip, but if it is considered to be risky because of the situation in the area it may be better to give it a miss. If you do want to make other enquiries, I went with Saphir Voyages some years ago and they were excellent. Their phone number is (+216) 72 241 377.
I think most UK companies that are organising holidays to Tunisia have cancelled the trip at the moment due to current guidance from the Foreign Office. The post with a report on this holiday was dated 2013 so I'm not sure if anyone is interested in booking the trip at the present time. The info on the tour company who do organise the excursion is worth knowing though.
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.