Tunisia Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Tunisia.
hi ginnynick have just got back from sousse where myself and my son, went on the sahara explorer, the Sahara select is exactly the same trip only with a max of 26 person`s , it is well worth the trip although i would avoid the camel ride with a bad back,
Thanks all for info, I have experienced a Camel Ride before my back got a lot worse and it was an experience then so I will have to miss it (I don't really want to miss what they will all see while on the camel ride but if I have to). While you went on the camel ride did anyone stay behind-if so what was there to do? Hubbie doesn't want to leave me on my own as I have told him he has to go, he has never had a camel ride and I don't want him to miss out because of me. Do you still go in the jeeps on the Sahara Select because if you do I will worry a bit as to the seats? We went on a jeep safari in Cyprus and the others were all great about my back and they let me sit in the front seat all day. I could not have sat in the very back as there was nowhere to put my cushion as there was just a space at the base of my back where I need to put my cushion. I am a bit of a worrier as sitting on a bad seat for even half an hour can give me many more hours of pain. :P 8) :thanks
ginnynick on the trip we did nobody stayed behind, those that didn`t go on camels went on a horse and carriage, don`t know if the select still went in the 4x4`s, but they`re land cruisers as opposed to jeeps, and it will be the driving more than the seats that harm your back, they dont hang about on those bumpy roads
Hi Borismab
I am so glad what you have said about the 'Horse and Carriage' as I really did not want to stay behind and not go into the desert. Land cruisers look a lot more comfortable than jeeps and I will just dose myself with extra painkillers so I won't be able to feel the bumpy roads. Was it all worth the while when you went?? Did you book it with your rep or with someone else when you got there? Which part o f Tunisia did you stay at-we are looking at 'RIU Park El Kebir' in Hammermet it looks and sounds gorgeous. :?: :?: :?:
we stayed at the mahraba salem in sousse, myself and my son went leaving wife and daughter in hotel, we wanted the trip with the tent in desert at night but couldn`t as trip was full so did the explorer instead, we booked it through the holiday rep at hotel and it was well worth it.

The hotel we stayed at overnight in douz was also very good
Is it nice in Sousse, and did you visit any other places while there. What is transport like to get from town to town? Are there places that you can book trips from or is it easy to get there and back by yourselves?
Cheers Ginny
sousse is ok we went to the medina(market), the local transport was ok lots of taxis or the little noddy train.
We walked to sousse only about 25 mins from where we stayed
Did you go on any other trips while there??
nope just the sahara explorer we did a tour round Tunisia when we first went in 1988
I won't keep bothering you with questions as I have so many (and we would be here till xmas) so thanks for your help you have been great
Cheers
Ginny
I'm going to be in Sousse in mid March and am hoping to book the Sahara trip whilst I'm there.

Can you book on the trip any day of the week or does it only leave on certain days? Ideally I would only like to spend about five days based in Sousse before moving on to Tunis but I will change my plans to fit in the trip if need be. It sounds really great and I expect it to be one of the highlights of my trip.
JimmyJazz,
When I was in Sousse last March we had the options of 4 different days for the 2 day trip.
The trip was amazing well worth the long days!!
Your rep will probably only do trips to the Sahara on certain days but you can book independently whilst you are out there with companies such as Saphir Voyages. They go out most days. Ring them on 00216 72 240168 and say you want an English speaking tour. If you are based in Sousse it is easy (and extremely cheap) to get to other places by train and bus. If you intend to use the train a lot take a passport sized photo and get a 'carte bleu' which gives you one or two weeks travel quite cheaply. Have a look at http://www.seat61.com/ which gives you quite a bit of information.
JimmyJazz when we where in sousse in october the sahara trip went on a monday or wednesday, me and my son went well worth the money even if you go through your holiday rep.
From this forum I can find little other than the trip is called a 'discovery'. Staying at the Royal Kenz. Trying to find out if such a trip exists in late feb. Going with Tomson's and they only offer a 2 day one that includes a 4x4 safari trip. Another company, Eden travel, offers a similar 2 day one but includes the train on a 4 day one, but I think that is too long. There is mention on Trip advisor of a 3 day trip which includes the train offered through Airtours. Any info on this/others and whether it can be booked through a local agent much appreciated. The train is unique and a must for our visit to Tunisia, can take a 4x4 trip just about anywhere but both (Airtours) would be even better.
Has anyone done the Thomson's trip from Hammamet where you spend the night in a tent in the desert? Is the camel trek bit compulsory??
hi, we're going to Sousse in 3 weeks & we've pre-booked the thomsons Sahara Experience trip, after doing the Sahara Explorer trip with them last year. Has any one else done the Experiance trip (sleeping in the desert)? If so, what was it like ?
thanks
Hi
We have just got back from Hammamet yesterday and we did a 2 day Sahara through First Choice booked through our hotel rep. Our trip involved staying in a Hotel overnight not in a tent in case that is what you have booked. If you are staying in a 4/5 star Hotel in Sousse it is worth checking what star rating the hotel that you will be staying in overnight in the Sahara is as we 'apparently' all got double booked and had to stay in a 3 star hotel the Sahara douze (may be spelt wrong) and it was terrible (thank god it was for 1 night). The trips are well worth booking with your hotel/tour operator as they do not work out much more expensive than going into a shop in the town and booking with them. We talked to some people on the flight home who booked trips in the town and they hated every bit of them as no one spoke English and neither did the guide. All the trips we did we were all English folk and there were no more than 16/18 of us and there was just enough people so you got to now them all. Give us a buzz if you would like any other info. We did not go to Sousse so cannot help on that one.
Ginny
Hi all,going back to PEK next year and was looking for some info (lots of) about the 2 day Sahara trip from PEK thanking you in advance.Haddy.
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.