Goa Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Goa.
what about the shacks that were up when I was there? Flying Dolphin had been open since 3rd October and did get an official visit when we were there- so it seemed ok?
This is as usual, par for the course, just another aspect of the way they treat their holiday industry. Of course it also increases the scope for bribery, just build your shack, pay a big enough bribe, and off you go, dont come up with sufficient money, and your shack gets knocked down. Sometimes I wonder why we continue to ptrronise such a corrupt, inefficient regeme, without us the shambles would collapse, and then mabey they would be forced to face reality, but somehow I doubt it. Alan
I'm a bit confused here. :hmmm

Will there be any/many beach shacks on Candolim beach mid November?

The last time we went in November was 2004 and there were lots of shacks up then.

Thanks
Polly
Depends whet mood they are in... last year they could build them but not operate them.
This year all regular shack owners will be granted a licence,with a small amount going into a lottery draw for the new comers.
Crazy situation year after year, and frstarting for the shack owners.
my friend spoke to someone from the oceanic in Baga today and they are not open yet!
clueless,clueless,clueless.
The Flying Dolphin is part of the Golden Eye Hotel - maybe that's why it was open
I didn't realise that Rakkor.
I am assuming that the Flying Dolphin is the one at the end of Holiday street ? If it is the Michael owns that as well as the Golden Eye - It was my after dinner drinking bar for many years when A-J was serving behind the bar. Then two years ago A-J left and the bar was turned into a greekish restaurant - so I've never been back apart from a couple of coolers walking back from Fisherman's Paradise when it was extra hot
thats it! We liked it, but of course it was the only one open where we were! :lol: Liked the staff there.
Oceanic in Baga is NOT open and from what I've heard from some of the boys it might not be operating this year. The brother that ran it last year is apparently opening a shop on Baga Road. Prashant (the other brother) has St Anthony's up and running already and has made a lot of improvements.

As for all the other shacks.......today they will all be dismantled by the Panchyat and measuring of the plots will take place.

If any developing countries hoping to start up a tourism industry want to know how NOT to do it................come to Goa [/img] :evil: [img]

GFF xx
Friends of ours spoke to Monica (Monicas shack) yesterday and she said thet were issuing the licences on 7th November
For lots of people, certainly us, the shacks are one of the main reasons we return year after year. We normaly make our first visit end of Oct, early Nov. Luckily this year we dont arrive till 30th Nov. This is just another shot in the foot, for what must be the worst tourism set up anywhere. On top of the visa shambles, this may be the last straw for a lot of people. Certainly I would imagine any first time visitors during Oct or Nov. who were visiting simply for a beach holiday will be looking elsewhere next year. For ourselves, we'll likely go, pehaps once next season, if a last minute deal shows up but otherwise there's too many other good destinations farther east, whose tourism business seems keener on accomodating visitors, whose hotels and infrastructure are far better, where flights are more comfortable, and who costwise, are'nt much different from Goa. It's a shame for Goa but the situation re their tourist industry seems to get worse year after year and no matter which Goverment is in power it makes no difference. Alan
They should pay a visit to thailand to see how it is done.Then again they would still mess it up.
Well I'll go back if a last minute flight appears VERY cheap but it would have to be a bargain. But I'm afraid it's Thailand or Vietnam for me, too many people have been telling me to go further East. I do love Goa but you have to realise when 'enough is enough'. If the Govn' aren't prepared to put the work in and make the improvements that are so obviously necessary (all been documented here many times) then they can't expect people to want to return.

It's not a case of 'Killing the goose that lays the golden eggs', the Goose died a few years ago.
We are off to Vietnam on the 16th to check it out. We come back for Christmas and then out to Goa in Jan until April. But if we like Vietnam it may well be our last trip to Goa, although we will continue to visit other places in India
Shack owners had a meeting in Panajim today, the licence lottery will be drawn in the next few days, and licences will be valid from mid Nov to Mid July, which is ridiculous as the season starts end of oct to end of April.
what a disaster. We didn't expect shacks when we went in October- but in actual fact we probably had more choice than folks out now
just uploading some photos and there is one of Calangute beach minus the shacks here for the time being
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.