General Holiday Enquiries, Hints and Tips

General Holiday Enquiries? Got General Hints & Tips? Post Them Here.
At 10 am two representatives from the union delivered a formal letter requesting a meeting with Jose Blanco, Minister of public works, who yesterday declined the meeting informally!

The two representatives then headed off to Madrid to resume talks around the negotiating table.

Something tells me that we won't have a result today.

The union have said they are willing to spend the whole weekend if necessary to reach an agreement!!!!

GRRRRRRRRRRRR!!!!!!!!!!! :rage
Juan Lema the president of AENA (airport authority) has held a press conference. In it he stated the the airport operator has offered that if a deal isnt met by this Friday by both parties, then the dispute is submitted to an "independent arbitration, voluntary and mutual agreement."

However he hopes that it will not come to this and remains positive that a deal will be struck sometime today.

Estimates of damage to the economy during the strike are at 39 million euros for each day of the strike :yikes

Watch this space!!!
we are a family of 6 due to fly out on 18th so very worried but I have just read the following statement from AENA which is hopeful
We have reached an agreement or are close to one on the majority of the issues raised by the air traffic controllers ... I hope that those involved in the talks can seal a deal today," AENA chairman Juan Ignacio Lema said at a news conference. "In the case of an agreement not being reached we propose settling the conflict by arbitration to avoid a strike."

fingers crossed :sun2
Also the coach company Auto Res starts industrial action today.

Those who have tickets for travel are being asked to confirm that their seat will be available.

There will be partial stoppages on the 13th and 21st of August (from 14.00 - 24.00), with total stoppages planned for August 8th, 14th, 15th, 16th, 22nd, 29th and September 1st.

They run services which link Madrid to Valencia, Castellón, Peñíscola, Benicasim & Oropesa along the Mediterranean, as well as to Vigo and Pontevedra in Galicia.

If anybody has booked travel with this coach company think it's best if you get in touch.
Also don't forget there is going to be a general strike in Spain on 29th September. They (Unions) are expecting a large proportion of the working population will be on strike, and a great number of the unemployed will join them in protest marches in the street.

http://www.expatica.com/es/news/spanish-news/september-general-strike-irreversible--says-spanish-union_84374.html
The main associations of airlines have demanded the union USCA take immediate withdrawal of strike threat.

In a joint statement, the Spanish Association of Air Transport Companies (ACET), the Spanish Association of Airlines (AECA), the International Civil Aviation Companies in Spain (ACA) and the Airline Association (Ala) has supported AENA's offer that both parties are subject to independent arbitration , accepted by mutual agreement, if the negotiations did not bear fruit "definitely" on Friday.

Hopefully this will add extra pressure!!
hippyjack
i hope your right, so worried about my holiday now.
thanks for all the updates hope there is soom good news today.
tracey
Talks broke down late last night with both sides blaming one another

"AENA wants to deny us the right to strike, has left the negotiations so irresponsible and we will convene an executive committee to decide what to do," said USCA which ended at 10 last night

AENA sources, however, said they do not consider that the negotiations have ended and that the meeting was "important progress" and even added that "there was a preliminary agreement to withdraw the option to strike, but the union must reach agreement within themselves. "

The government does not want a strike by air traffic controllers, but also urges they put an end to the threat of the strike, almost as damaging to tourism as the protest itself. The vague warning lo a strike in the second half of August has put the whole tourism industry on tenterhooks precisely because of its vagueness and AENA calls for an immediate agreement to end the blockade of reservations and accommodation ..

As yet the union have had no response from the minister Jose Blanco who they delivered a formal letter yesterday requesting a meeting.

Cannot find any info on when or if talks are to resume! Will keep hunting and let you know :que
Looks like it's now again in the hands of the union. They are having an executive committee meeting and will let the public know there decision as soon as possible.

Not holding my breath... :(
What happened to going to arbitration if a definate deal was not reached on Friday????? Getting brassed off with this now, I'd cancel if I could get my money back, not worth all the stress.
As far as I can make out it will go to arbitration if they do not return to the table.

USCA (union) has seen it as an ultimatum which has upset them - (shame)!!!

I think the board meeting is whether to accept the terms or strike - will keep you posted.

There is a lot of pressure on the union now - from the airlines industry & government etc.

Approx 30% of bookings are on hold because of the threat of a strike.

Also the Canarian government is set to take legal action against air traffic controllers over the strike. Regional president Paulino Rivero said on radio yesterday that he would not allow the controllers to inflict further damage on the Canarian economy and tourist sector.

The Canarian government's legal services are looking into ways of blocking the strike.

It will affect the Canaries & Balearics more because there are no alternative airports to fly into ie Portugal, France etc.
  • Edited by hippyjak 2010-08-07 08:34:48
Just reading a report on 'elcorreo.com' which suggests that the union are not going to meet till later on Monday!!!! All this waiting is driving me mad. I really hope we dont have to wait till Monday to hear something!
If they are upset looks like a strong chance of strike. :(
I have read that they have to give 10 days notice of a strike date but I dont know how true that is. If they don't meet till Monday it does not give them the 10 days to strike on the proposed 18th.
That is correct - they have to give 10 days notice. Whether that is after informing the intention to strike or giving a definate statement about a strike I am not sure.

Been on the USCA website and cannot find out when the board meeting is to be held, just that the results of the meeting will be told 'as soon as possible'.

I guess 'as soon as possible' in Spanish terms could mean whenever?? The Union did state that they would continue negotiations throughout the weekend if need be, so I hope the meeting will be held sometime today!!

This is driving me mad!!!
On the USCA website it states that the board of the Union of Air Traffic Controllers Association has decided to convene urgently to its executive committee to give an account of the breakdown of negotiations by AENA.

Hopefully that means today - can only see on that one website as Monday been the stipulated date for the meeting.

Fingers crossed eh!!
hippyjak
if the meeting doesn't happen till monday that means if they decide to strike it will be from the 19th at least(10 days notice) is this correct. if this is the case hopefully i would be able to fly on the 18th without problem, fingers crossed.
tracey
I don't think that is any help to hippyjak flying on the 21st.!
Just been reading El Mundo. Quite hard to understand as the google translation isnt great, but I think it says..that AENA are refusing to have any more talks with the Union until they call off the threat of a strike. The Union promised to call off the threat, as long as progress was made. AENA is not happy that progress has been made in most points, but they havent publicly called the strike off. It says the the Unions' executive committe is meeting today to discuss and continue negotiations this afternoon. So watch this space!

The story seems to be changing all the time. When I checked this morning, they werent going to meet till later Monday and according to the papers this meant that the earliest they could call the strike would be 20th...bloody brilliant because myself and my family (12 of us) leave on 21st. A holiday that we have planned and saved for 13 months!! Im sure you all feel as stressed out as I do!
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.