General Holiday Enquiries, Hints and Tips

General Holiday Enquiries? Got General Hints & Tips? Post Them Here.
thank you jenny. like i said i just wasnt sure what it all meant, my heads been spinning since i heard about this strike!!! thanks again. :)
Spanish newspaper 'El Pais' is reporting that the USCA has decided to give AENA until next Wednesday to resume negotiations on working conditions, if no response from AENA and a meeting is convened, the special committee of the union will declare the strike on Thursday 12th, according to union sources. This timetable means that a possible controllers strike would not affect any flights before 22 August as they have to give at least 10 days notice in advance.

None of the other papers have reported this as yet, but i'll keep scraping the screen!!
Over here (GB) can't get any information from news channels. Just keep trawling the net. I suppose they don't want to panic people - bit late for me then!

They just keep putting forward the date further and further to when we go!
Im over here too!! :cheers Not a sausage from any UK press other than the original announcement the other day when the strike was first called!

Very infuriating!!
The Secretary of State for Transport, Concepción Gutiérrez, has urged air traffic controllers to accept the latest proposals from the negotiating table or take the arbitration route. Failing that set the date and time of the strike in order to establish minimum services and ensure mobility of citizens.

"Every day that passes," he said, "every hour and every minute, creates more uncertainty in a sector such as tourism and the economy affects many citizens who want a holiday."

On the other hand, he said that in the event of a strike called by USCA, the ministry will set minimum service to ensure the mobility of citizens.

He has also warned that the Minister José Blanco will not join them because he "cannot accept blackmail"

Concepción Gutiérrez has asked the controllers not to call a strike and that if any otherwise, to inform of concrete date and the duration of the strike "soon."

"We must end the uncertainty of all Spanish citizens and warrant them to the right to a vacation," has warned.

Also the nonprofit association Exceltur, consisting of more than a dozen Spanish tourist business groups, has expressed its intention to "join the legal action" against the air traffic controllers if persist in its threat to strike.
Where do you get all of your information from Hippyjak?
Just trawl the internet - have a look at the spanish newspapers - the ones I look at are El Mundo, Barcelonareporter, El Pais, UCNA website, Reuters. I just enter specific words in google and see what comes up :cheers
El Mundo have now also printed a similar story to El Pais.

The Executive Committee of the Union of Air Traffic Controllers Association (USCA) will not meet until next Thursday, when they could decide whether to call strikes to be held from 22 August.

The USCA communications secretary, Cesar Cape, told the union's decision-making body that they will meet next Thursday, on that day they will decide whether to strike or accept the arbitration proposed by Spanish Airports and Air Navigation (AENA).

If flight controllers decide to submit on the same day their intention to strike, this could not be held until Sunday 22 August.
Yes - I've been doing that and found a few sites. Just gone onto Reuters site and USCA site. It seems to be the only way we can get any news about what is happening - let's hope the union will listen to what the majority of people are saying
The spokesman for air traffic controllers union (USCA), Daniel Zamit, said that officials from the Ministry of Development and Aena "are committing an exercise of irresponsibility" for not wanting to negotiate.

Zamit expressed in relation to the statements made by Secretary of State for Transport, in which he asked the group of controllers to state "date and time" of the possible strike and warned that the Minister of Public Works, José Blanco, not going to join them.

"Why still do not want to sit at the table? Why did they leave the table last night?" Zamit wondered, adding that he does not understand what the minister is afraid of "for not opting to receive in your department .

"We are at the negotiating table sat waiting, the spokesman insisted USCA, while the Executive has ensured that they had " launched an ultimatum. "We do not understand why they want to go on strike, when all you want is to negotiate, "he asserted.
Must admit it takes up a few hours!! Got nowhere near as much housework done today as I would have liked!! :duh Still it's all I can think of at mo, I want it all to be settled and that I can then come on this site and look at the nice threads like - Who's getting excited for their hols!!!!! :cheers
That would be nice! All I want to do is get excited about my holiday again!
The Foreign Office warns of the possible impact of a strike by controllers in Spain

The Foreign Offic of the United Kingdom, advises British citizens on the impact it would have on flights to Spain a possible strike by air traffic controllers.

Therefore, the section has been updated advice for those traveling to Spain and explains that the talks between the union and Aena drivers continue, warning that the possibility of a strike remains open.

It also indicates that "if it is finally carried out the strike on effect on flights between Spain and the UK would be very important."

Therefore advises the public that they intend to go or return from Spain on that date that are in contact with their airlines or tour operators to get updates on what is happening.

According to the Institute for Tourism Studies of the Ministry of Industry, Tourism and Trade, some 13 million Britons visit Spain every year, placing it as one of the countries most visited by UK citizens
  • Edited by hippyjak 2010-08-08 06:56:51
Yes your right Jenny - must have been tired last night and not spotted that mistake! :whoops

Have now taken the date out :)
The Spanish Secretary of State also said that the Promotion and Defense ministries will sign, "probably this week, an agreement which will enable the military to do civilian work in towers in extraordinary cases to ensure the flow of air traffic."

Soz folks this is all the news I can find at the mo! :cry
Spain tourism body seeks end to air strike threat

Spain's travel companies association urged air traffic controllers on Saturday to accept a government offer of arbitration to avoid a strike that could wreak economic havoc at the height of the tourist season

http://www.reuters.com/article/idUSLDE67607Z20100807
The USCA communications secretary, César Cabo said today that the union's decision-making body meets next Thursday, the day on which they will decide whether to strike or accept the arbitration proposed by Spanish Airports and Air Navigation (AENA).

What happened to Fridays statement that the meeting will be held "urgently"?? !!! Thursday???

That means no strike action till after 22nd August.
Thanks hippyjak, for all your hard work in this!! Until a fellow member pointed me here this morning, I have been impatiently watching the thread over in the Flight Only section :duh

Selfishly for me, looks like all this prevarication means that I will actually get to fly out of Lanzarote on 19th August. But I have friends coming out on 29th, and I have a return back to here on 26th, so still on tenterhooks like everyone else :(
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.