General Holiday Enquiries, Hints and Tips

General Holiday Enquiries? Got General Hints & Tips? Post Them Here.
Family of 7 due to fly on 26th August. We have all had a very stressful year and are really looking forward to this holiday. I haven't even told the others about this threatened strike! Can't believe the money they are already getting - they want to live in the real world - we have been saving for over a year for this holiday! I hope this dispute is solved very, very quickly.
I have just read that a possible start for the strike has been postponed to the 20th it also read [quote["It seems that the ultimate intention of these people is to go on strike"

I think many of us are just trawling the net looking for a glimmer of hope but the truth is nobody will no anything until an official announcment is made, so we will just have to sit tight.
i am totally gutted to read that the talks broke down last night, i have been glued to this site since i found it 2 days ago. there is 8 of my family supposed to be travelling on the 18th and it has put our excitement on hold!!! like everyone else this is going to effect. this waiting is terrible. hope its sorted today!!!!! :(
I am glued to the net but I think it is a waste of time it doesnt look like there will be any news before monday. That could be good for me personally as I fly on the 18th but we need an end to this threat for all us hopeful holidaymakers and especially the economy.
Totally glued to this site. Going to Lanzarote by the way so can't get there by any other means.
We fly out 21st, my sister joins us hopefully on the 28th with her family and then my mum flys out on the 4th September!!!

Just hope they cancel the strike full stop because somebody somewhere will be affected!!!!!! GRRR!!!
Maybe we should all email USCA and tell them what they are doing to us!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
It looks like complete stalemate. AENA will not continue with negotiations until the threat of strike is called off. USCA will not continue unless the have the strike threat as a bargaining tool!!!

AENA has launched an ultimatum: if the controllers do not stop to call a strike, not only will not return to the negotiating table, but will reverse the points of consensus reached so far.

USCA spokesman, Daniel Zamit also asked to resume the negotiations today, but emphasizes that the group can not leave their main bargaining asset, the pressure iof a strike call. "How can we leave out the possibility of a strike if the only thing that made you feel AENA to speak and make proposals?", Pointed Zamit.

The controllers say that if they hear from AENA between now and Tuesday to return to the negotiations, the union's executive committee decided that same Tuesday or Wednesday whether to strike. As they must give 10 days in advance of the protest would not occur before 20 or 21 August.

GREAT!!!!!
If that's the case then it's getting very close to the 26th when we are due to travel.
I know that someones going to caught up in it if the strike goes ahead - AAAHH!!!

Any one know if limited flights will happen (Lanzarote) ?
Travelling with Thomson - so anyone know if we get any money back?
Maybe we should all email USCA and tell them what they are doing to us!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Dao I don't think that would work, they don't even care what it is doing to the spanish economy. This effects us short term and I would personally lose 3 grand but spain could be hit by this for a number of years with people opting to holiday elsewhere. I know I will
thats it im going to get ready and go out and drown my sorrows!!! cant stand this anymore. i fly on 18th and yes it might not effect us but it will definately affect the rest of the family that fly out on 21st!!!
Spoke to Thomas Cook this morning, said they are aware of the situation but until definate dates are set then just to hold tight.

Said they will let us know beforehand whether our flight is to be delayed, moved to the next day or cancelled. They will then let us know our options and do everything possible to sort something out for us even if it means moving our holiday dates.
This is about the clearest/ most comprehendable translation I can find about what is going on.

http://www.servimedia.es/&ei=62xdTLu6C8eQjAfpkMHxAw&sa=X&oi=translate&ct=result&resnum=1&ved=0CCMQ7gEwAA&prev=/search%3Fq%3DServimedia%26hl%3Den%26client%3Dfirefox-a%26hs%3DUMQ%26rls%3Dorg.mozilla:en-GB:official%26prmd%3Dn" target="_blank" rel="nofollow" class="break-word">http://translate.google.co.uk/translate?hl=en&sl=es&u=http://www.servimedia.es/&ei=62xdTLu6C8eQjAfpkMHxAw&sa=X&oi=translate&ct=result&resnum=1&ved=0CCMQ7gEwAA&prev=/search%3Fq%3DServimedia%26hl%3Den%26client%3Dfirefox-a%26hs%3DUMQ%26rls%3Dorg.mozilla:en-GB:official%26prmd%3Dn

The executive board meeting will happen on Monday, unless AENA wish to return to the table over the weekend.

USCA has said that whilst negotiations are going ahead (if they resume) there will be no strike action.

They have to give 10 days notice of strike action, which means any dates from 20th/21st.

They have up until 31st August to carry out the strike action.
Latest update:

I have just spoke to friends who are in Spain at the minute and they have said that the latest news coming out is that USCA (air traffic controllers union) have given AENA a deadline of Monday to resume negotiations. They also advise that AENA are waiting on USCA to withdraw the threat of strike before they return to the negotiating table, I think its currently a game of calling each others bluff to see who gives in first.

USCA have also warned that if further talks don't resume on Monday, their executive committee will meet on Tuesday to confirm the strike, which is expected to start on 21st or 22nd August.

It also seems that they have reached agreement on most of the issues but the main disagreements between both sides seem to be related to working hours and salaries.
could someone explain what this means if it goes to arbitration? is that to decide if there is going to be a strike or is it someone who decides whether to meet the demands of the controllers? im just not quite sure on what this all means!!!
I think it means a Third Part considers both sides of the dispute and then decide what to do. Both sides have to agree to this decision before it can go "to arbitration"
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.