General Holiday Enquiries, Hints and Tips

General Holiday Enquiries? Got General Hints & Tips? Post Them Here.
I take Boots own brand and they haven't caused me any drowsiness.
I always pack antihistamine's in my holiday medical kit now shirley since George had prickly heat or some sort of allergic reaction in Turkey one year .. We took him to the pharmacist and they gave him antihistamine's. As Tina says just the supermarket own brand does the job fine and they are only about 90p a box .
I bought some Non-Drowsy Hayfever and Allergy Relief tablets in Asda earlier. They cost 86p. I was looking for something called antihistamine tablets but couldn't find any that said that. However, I found these next to the piriton on the shelf and thought that they sounded like antihistamines. I've just read the leaflet and it says they are antihistamines. It doesn't sjpecifically mention prickly heat but says they relieve the symptoms of skin allergies such as rash, itching or hives.

Have I bought the correct product do you think?
yep they are the correct ones i take them for about a month before i go
it doesnt stop the pickly heat but it does stop the itchy stinging
Thanks Pat :tup I'll give them a go. I don't normally get prickly heat but like to be prepared for every eventuality :D
I've previously taken antihistamines to relieve sun-allergy related rashes but can no longer do so because I now have to take a synthetic histamine every day for a longterm medical condition. Things like Piriton etc would stop that being effective so I can now only use topical anti-histamine creams to relieve symptoms. The one recommended to me was Benadryl but I'm sure that there are others out there that are equally as good.

While not a substitute for taking anti-histamine tablets it is very soothing and can be used alongside taking anti-histamine tablets for immediate relief of the awful itching, so it might be worth anybody who suffers from a sun related rashes to pack a tube as an added remedy. I thought that it could be very handy for using between tablets as it can be applied up to 4 times a day.

SM
I bought Rona Ross prickly heat cream off the internet,that's quite effective too.
Thaniks for all the recommendations. I have a lot of the antihistamine cream that I bought (at great expense lol) in Turkey, left over so I won't need to buy any more cream. Just think I'll take the tablets as recommended as a prevention :tup
Has anyone tried the Malibu all day suncream? It's a spray and smells gorgeous! I'm tempted to try it this year as an extra with the piz buin.
Hi All.. I am going to Egypt next week, so have been looking at different brands of sun lotions, i normally go to turkey in october so is a little cooler while there ive always used the oil based lotions, but as its going to be so much hotter in Egypt, im wondering what would be best to use, ive been told that p20 is very good, only have to use it once a day and that it gives an excellent tan .. how safe is it to use only once a day as il be in and out of the pool? i would like to know if any one has a lotion they would recomend? i dont normally burn, and im not fair skinned... :think
well after seeing the price of p20 i decided to forget it... went for the piz buin instead, glad i did because it smells lovely and isnt greasy.. only thing is, on the bottle it says suitable for those who sweat and swim .. use once a day, but if u sweat or go in water use more often.. bit strange! haha :tongue
One application of piz buin once does me, I do top up throughout the day with a normal sunscreen (normally an aerosol non rub one) no problem :)
Love the smell of Piz Buin. I can't stand those coconut smelling creams they make me feel sick.
Elemis tan accelerator is amazing - I usually have to put on quite a strong factor sun cream or else I will burn however after reading about this product I thought why not. Have recommended this to everyone I know...its a bit on the pricey side but 100% worth it. I actually had a tan...well for me anyway :)
Managed to get the last three bottles of calypso once a day today from Wilkinsons. did want 4 bottles as I am going to Philippines for 6 weeks.... I know I went to Seychelles for a month and I got through 2 and 1/2 bottles, so hopefully I may be able to pick up another sometime, still got 2 months to go...

In wilkinsons it was £5.99 each, I did go over the road to suprerdrug after to try and get another bottle, but in there the exact same bottle was £12.99 each! unbelievable!
krankie_frankie wrote:
Managed to get the last three bottles of calypso once a day today from Wilkinsons. did want 4 bottles as I am going to Philippines for 6 weeks.... I know I went to Seychelles for a month and I got through 2 and 1/2 bottles, so hopefully I may be able to pick up another sometime, still got 2 months to go...

In wilkinsons it was £5.99 each, I did go over the road to suprerdrug after to try and get another bottle, but in there the exact same bottle was £12.99 each! unbelievable!

:yikes Big price difference.

I've never tried Calypso.
Glynis HT Admin wrote:
krankie_frankie wrote:

:yikes Big price difference.

I've never tried Calypso.

I think they may have made a price mix up in wilko, everywhere I look it is between £8-£13... Going to try again next time I am in that neck of the woods.
I used SPF 20 calypso once a day in Seychelles, didn't get burnt, but hardly got tanned. Gone for SPF 10 this time
Has anyone tried the nivea cool and protect mist? I prefer dry feel sun cream on top of piz buin all day... any recommendations for a dry mist sun cream.

Also, on holiday hitsquad they said anything above 30spf wasn't really that much better protection, I've always taken 1 SPF40 and gone down to 15 gradually, should I not bother?
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.