Indian Ocean inc. Maldives/Mauritius & India Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in India and Indian Ocean.
alcohol
7 Posts
When you collect your luggage all bags are then x rays for illegal items. Don't know if alcohol shows up a different colour on the x ray monitor than say a bottle of water so they might be able to tell that way. I have heard though that concealed alcohol is deemed to be smuggling so you might not want to risk it - if you do let us know how you got on.
Thanks for the quick reply. I wouldn't want to get done for smuggling. Just wondered if anyone else has done it before? Seems a bit strange that you can buy as much as you like once you're there but you can't take the odd bottle with you. So if anyone has tried it and succeeded (or otherwise!) please let me know.
Thanks again for the advice.
Ted,

Wouldn't recommend trying to disguise it, as Cynical says everything is x-rayed and although the alcohol would not show up, the container definitely would ! You are subject to the local laws in the Maldives, and the bringing in of alcohol is illegal due to it being a Muslim country, which brings very stiff penalties if found to be smuggling it in. Any duty free bought, will be confiscated and held for collection on your return journey, however, as Cynical says if you try to disguise it, this is classed as smuggling. The only place where you can get alcohol in the maldives is in the holiday resorts.

Don't think it's really worth the risk.
Exactly.........if you filter it into another container it is seen as smuggling in the Maldives.

It may seem strange that you can buy it there but can't take it in, but bear in mind it is a Muslim country where alcohol is forbidden in their Religion. They have already bowed down to us tourists by relaxing the laws & making alcohol available in the hotels, but understandably they need to keep control on the importation by not allowing it in willy nilly.

Don't risk it. I thought about taking alcohol but then read up on it found out the consequences; you'd be kicked before they'd even let you in.

It's true that alcohol isn't cheap out there, but it isn't extortionate either. The beauty of the Maldives and the unbelievably kind nature of the Maldivians makes them worth having to spend out a bit more on the booze.

Have a lovely time.
Thanks very much for all your replies. Don't think I'll bother! Roughly how much would a bottle of wine be?

p.s. anyone been to Lohifushi? Appreciate the advice!
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.