Turkey Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Turkey.
I don't know if you'll be doing anything illegal although I think there might be a limit to how much you can take into the country. However if these restaurant owners are planning to sell it in their bars they certainly will be. Where we go the police regularly visit all bars and inspect their paper work regarding alcohol to check they have paid the correct taxes. Last year one of them spent the evening at the police station trying to explain that the rogue bottle of champagne found in his bar with no paper work was just a gift for his own consumption!!!
Your allowance to take Alcohol into Turkey is 2 liters per person over the age of 18 years old, Dalaman Airport Duty free on entry into Turkey will have what the Restauraunt owner wants, Or source your own whichever you think is best, Note at Dalaman duty free you will be requested to hand over your passport to be scanned this is to make sure you cannot purchase anymore on entry into Turkey, Turkish customs do not stop Holiday flights, Well none that I have been on and that's 16 times in all.
We take spirits for friends in restaurants every time we go but, we buy it at bodrum airport when we land and keep the receipts for them. It is far cheaper than in the resorts and the turkish lads cannot go into the airport to get it themselves. Hope this helps.
Thanks for that. I suppose its his fault if he gets caught. Dont think an Asda/Tesco receipt would help him if questioned by the police then.

No wonder they ask us visitors to bring it over though, their duty on alcohol is worse than ours.

But at least I know its 2 litres each. Thanks
nip to a local restaurant and nick all their sachets o sauce! :rofl
We took spirits over from Manchester airport a couple of weeks ago for one of our friends, they have good offers on, we got 2 litres of Smirnoff for £16, 2 big bottles of Baileys for £20 and just carried it on as hand luggage. My in laws brought over 4 bottle of Malibu and 4 bottles of Jack Daniels from Manchester too with no problem (that cost them £115, not sure how much each they were)
Tell me do these friend thats you take this over for sell it back to you at cut-price or do they charge you the same price as everyone else that comes into their bar?
If they are selling it in their restaurants they are actually defrauding the Turkish government of tax. If it was the other way round in this country and landlords were selling duty free alcohol in their pubs brought in by foreigners I would think there would be plenty of people complaining. The profit will be going into their own pockets and I wonder how many other Brits do this little favour for them? I know the tax on alcohol in Turkey is very high and may not be seen as fair but it is the law and I for one try to make sure I abide by the laws when I am a visitor in foreign countries. I also think when you buy duty free it is meant to be for your own consumption.
We did this as a favour to a very good friend who we've known for over 5 years. We did get decent reductions on our bills every night and also extra large measures and a fair few freebies :cheers
I have done this also, many times.

It's not a problem, but they do look after people that look after them.
:cheers

Ekin Legend
:sun2 :sun2
i always take a least 4 bottles and buy it at duty free they always have an offer running and as for the hp sauce 2 bottles of normal size is better :sun2
Warning about carrying breakable items in your case..... my son in law is a baggage handler at the airport and if you saw how cases or indeed anything marked fragile is handled, you'd think twice about putting bottles in your case. Also they hate any case thats overweight!!!
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.