Spain - Canary Islands - Tenerife Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Tenerife.
Hi michelephil , we are also going tenerife on the 28th and staying at parque santago 3, we allways get a taxi now, but have used a resort shuttle but found the taxi was much quicker

Tenerife2003
I would like to know if anyone know of a Limo transfere from tenerife airport south to Costa Adeje.
Does anybody know of a transfer company that will supply child seats ( probably have to be a mini bus as 4 adults + 2 children ). I suppose there is not much chance of getting child seats if you just turn up at the taxi area at the airport !!
try here just done a search for me and the wife and two kids, return from south airport to pdla £44 :tup

http://www.a2btransfers.com/index.asp?AID=12&s=v7j
We went to tenerife a couple of weeks before xmas on a Thomson flight.

Just on the final approach and I mean about as high as a 3 storey house from touchdown, the pilot pulled up and we then circled for about 15 minutes before making another landing (this time actually landing).

The pilot reckons that there was crosswinds at the last minute although we felt absolutely nothing inside the plane, on the tannoy announcement they said this was quite normal going into tenerife and happens regularly - the guy sat alongside me who's had an apartment in tenerife and been flying there for 20 years says it was the first time he's come across it.

Just wondered if it is normal and if anyone else had experienced this.
that happened to me once coming into tenerife. but it was quite hazy/misty at the time and it was blamed on that. I think the pilot just mis judged the approach so had to try again.
It happened to us last March.

Chris
This sort of thing regularly happens and you cannot always feel it. Other possible ideas would be a plan not clear of the runway in front of you. Crosswinds in Tenerife can be very bad near the airport.

Both of these are safe. After all, better go around than possibly crash.

It can be a bit frightening the first time, but it has happened quite a lot to me over the years
This is fairly normal. All pilots prepare for a go-around on every landing, so they know what they are doing if they are not happy with the approach. Crosswinds are very common in Tenerife, naturally being in island in the middle of the Atlantic. It only takes one gust of wind to push an aircraft off course.

Alternatively, although quite unlikely as Tenerife isn't that busy an airport, the runway may not have been clear and the pilot may have been instructed to make a go-around by air traffic control. This is fairly common at airports with very busy runways, such as Gatwick and Heathrow, where they have to push the limits with seperation. It can look quite hairy, but is actually great skill on behalf of the air traffic controllers.

While I say it is fairly normal, it is still very rare. I fly regularly and have never experience a go-around.
thanks for all the replies, sounds like it is fairly normal. In 10 years of flying (upto 4 times a year) i'd never encountered anything like it and this was the first time to tenerife.

Also had asked around friends and at work and again nobody had but from the responses on here it sounds right.
It sure is Martynh99. And nothing to worry about. It stll sets off the butterflies in my tummy when these things happen. I have also been in a plane hit by lightening (Now that really was frightening!) and all sorts of other things. The thing to do is keep an eye on the flight attendents if you're worried. If they continue as normal, then you can bet it's all ok
Funny you should say that Andrew. On my flight down to Tenerife last Tuesday, we hit a patch of severe turbulence. Obviously some people get worried when we hit turbulence, so when the cabin crew were told to take their seats aswell it was a little nervy in the cabin. Then we had the most senior crew member almost shouting "can the cabin crew take their seats immediately" down the PA system, which set a few people off. I love turbulence, it makes a flight a little bit more exciting. Anybody who gets worried by it should just look outside to the wing, and realise how stable the aircraft actually is.
Actually I think some flights can be most entertaining. Such as one flight last year when the turbulence was very severe, but although passengers were told to keep their seatbelts done up, the crew were merrily serviing drinks, which were sloshing everywhere.

However, I still hope I get a smooth flight next week, when I go back
:)
Hi, was in Tenerife in September, at the airport got the bus 488 which went through to Los Cristianos harbour then on to Costa Adeje, 2.50 euro Yes why pay taxi fares,brilliant service.
Looking on the titsabus site It looks like the 488 bus service has been removed and the airport bus is now part of the 111 PDLA to Santa cruz service
My understanding is that the 111 has also been rerouted and instead of stopping at various stops in Las Americas (that were convenient for hotels) like it used to , now once it leaves los cristianos it goes straight to las Americas bus station without stopping.
Is it true that in Tenerife they have now opened the ill-fated northern airport for commercial use? I was under the impression that it was only used for cargo and due to it having the unwanted tag of the Worlds worst ever aviation disaster to have happen there I was shocked when someone told me it was back open for holiday makers.

It was closed for Commercial flights due to it having a very small runway and misting/fogging over regularly because of its altitude, so i'm told anyway.
Tenerife North has been open for passenger traffic for some years - it's currently used mainly for domestic flights within the Canary Islands but there are also direct flights there from mainland Spain. Extending its use to other international passenger traffic would certainly ease peak time congestion at Tenerife south and for anybody wanting an onward flight to one of the smaller islands (eg La Gomera or La Palma) that aren't served by direct flights from the UK, this could be a huge convenience. I'm no more shocked about it being open to passenger traffic than I am that Manchester (which has had 2 runway disasters in its time) is also open for commercial passenger traffic.

As is made clear in the very detailed entry at

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tenerife_disaster

The runaway accident (which happened in 1977) was due to particular set of circumstances when two planes diverted from Gran Canaria, one taking off and one taxiing for take-off, collided on the runway. In the end it was accepted that the cause of accident was probably pilot error made worse by poor communications between the two planes and the control tower staff but it did result in changes in Air Traffic Control protocols etc. Pilots can makes mistakes at any time and on any runway - I would't be deterred from using Tenerife North on the basis of what happened in 1977. In fact I've actively explored using it becasue of those easier onward connections to the smaller islands but as yet there are no direct flights to it from the UK - I would jump at the chance if there were becasue of the time saving involved if we no had to rely on the ferries.

SM
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.