General Holiday Enquiries, Hints and Tips

General Holiday Enquiries? Got General Hints & Tips? Post Them Here.
No, if you are in a foreign country and text someone on the UK, it will only charge your phone, but it's more expensive than usual obviously.

hth

LisaMJ
If you are on o2 you can get a bolt on for £1.99 to make them cheaper.
yep, dead right Lisa! I was most impressed that texts go through as fast as they do at home, I was in Sri Lanka and swapping texts with friends back home almost instantaneously.
35p per text sent with Virgin mobile.
:D Hi, texting set me back 51p whilst we were in costa del sol. (T Mobile), Got through a tenner's worth of credit on our first day there!!!BBB.
If you ring them it won't charge both phones but if they ring you they'll get charged for making the call and you'll get charged for receiving it - Extortion, i think it's called :( !
I usually leave a message on my answerphone telling people i'm on holiday so i won't be answering any calls and if they want to contact me they should send a text.
O2 txt from Spain was 28p.

Alexa :D
I have this morning received my bill from orange which includes our two week holiday in Majorca - I was very worried, however it is no more expensive than normal - not sure why but im not complaining - used it a bit for calls and texts.
My husbands bill was £27 more with orange!
My husband assumed that the calls would come out of his monthly allowance even if they doubled the mins we used abroard, but they didn't!
His fault he never checked!

I text using vodafone and texts cost 35p.
I just got my Orange bill after my weekend in Paris when I texted home several times a day. It was no dearer than normal. When I rang Orange to check my phone would work in France they gave me £5 of free credit for using abroad. Worth asking for.
Bridd
but if they ring you they'll get charged for making the call and you'll get charged for receiving it - Extortion, i think it's called

Yes as we found out to our cost last year when my hubby went to France for few days. I rang him every night that months bill was £150!!
Ive found O2 really good when ive been away, hardly noticed any increase in my bill after coming back from Italy and used my phone a fair bit.
Here's a link to a previous discussion about mobile phone use and cost abroad.

http://www.holidaytruths.co.uk/viewtopic.php?t=9913
My mobile provider gives 250 free webtexts per month when I go away I find internet access and send all my texts home via the internet. A lot cheaper (only have to pay for internet access)

Carol
I'm with o2, I used my phone in Spain.My bill came to £85. Check with your network provider before you go away
if you have got free minutes anytime with o2, would this include calls abroad?? If not ill ring o2, but the cost of their customer care is high.
if you want to include your free minuites with O2 i think you havbe to phone them before you go away and they will sort something out, cant remember how it works but you save loads!
I also have free minutes anytime with o2,my calls abroad were not included.Like Jessop said,you'll probably have to contact o2(I didnt do this before I went)
I checked with Orange regarding call and texts from Turkey.

£1.30 per minute to make a call
80p per minute to receive a call

35p to send a SMS
0p to receive a SMS

I will be texting, and not answering my phone!!
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.