France and Channel Hopping Discussion

Discussions regarding holidays and channel hopping in France.
texting france
11 Posts
we put 0033 in front of the number if we are texting our French friends. If you are texting a brit then 44 in front taking off the first zero.
thanks for the info will try 44 in front of his mobile no :)
Yes I agree, I always add the 00 44 for the UK numbers and 00 33 for our French friends.
Carol
john woody wrote:
do i need to put an international code before the mobile number i am txting or do i just txt as usual from my mobile in the uk to my husbands mobile in france :think

According to the mobile companies you should have all your phone numbers set in your phone book as

+44 instead of 0 for UK numbers
+33 for France etc

and therefore if you are texting a UK mobile anywhere in the world just text your usual number so don't need to alter any numbers and it won't matter where you are either
Yup! +33 if you are phoning a French mobile and +44 if you are phoning a UK mobile ... and of course you've remembered to drop off the first 0 haven't you ............. :whoops
Alsacienne wrote:
Yup! +33 if you are phoning a French mobile and +44 if you are phoning a UK mobile ... and of course you've remembered to drop off the first 0 haven't you ............. :whoops

Alsacienne

Can you elucidate please why some French land-line numbers when rung from a UK mobile you still need to add the 0 in that has us really confused (usually when we are on the Autoroute heading to a new camp-site)
I've had similar problems when using my French mobile in the UK!

Not really sure why, think that the local operator may have something to do with it, also if you sometimes need to put the full country code in even if I am phoning another French mobile on my French mobile from the UK.

I'll admit to saying that I don't know why, but I find it frustrating. However, it usually works either with the 'local' code (with the 0) OR with the full country code and no 0. What the effect on the charges are I dread to think.

Sorry I can't give a definitive answer on this at the moment, but will ask around for clarification, and if I DO find a good definitive answer, I'll get back to you asap! :(
Alsacienne wrote:

I'll admit to saying that I don't know why, but I find it frustrating. However, it usually works either with the 'local' code (with the 0) OR with the full country code and no 0. What the effect on the charges are I dread to think.

Sorry I can't give a definitive answer on this at the moment, but will ask around for clarification, and if I DO find a good definitive answer, I'll get back to you asap! :(

As we are on contract we have noticed no difference in charging irrespective of how we dialled except that obviously a UK mobile will not dial a "local" French number without the +33
The fact that you are on a contract might just be the key as I'm on Pay As You Go - local equivalent.
00336 in France and it's a mobile (worth noting), no idea about why sometimes you need the ZERO and other times not, I enter all the numbers in their full international dialing structure and have done for years - it makes it so much easier!!!
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.