Flight Only / Airline and Airports

Discussions relating to flight only, airlines and airports.
I got my information from the professional pilots site, the people on that seem to know a lot of what is going on.
I am not trying to knock Thomson, I like Thomson and always use them for my package holidays.
Presumably the 3 767s which were leaving the fleet will now stay longer. I would think they are nearing their D checks, I wonder who will pay for the extra maintenance, probably Boeing.
I'll say again, the 787s are having far too many problems for my liking. These should have been sorted during test flights. It seems as if the new batteries are not suitable to be in aircraft with their highly flammable nature, I wonder how long it will take to fit different ones.
Not the most reliable of sites to get information from; too many frequent those forums with little knowledge of what they are commenting on. However, an article in the NY Times following a briefing indicates that the investigation will continue until the problem, is resolved. Comment about half way down says that it is going to be grounded for an an indefinite period whether that's two months, four months......
http://www.nytimes.com/2013/01/25/business/the-ntsb-sees-lengthy-inquiry-into-787-dreamliner.html?hp
My feeling is that, even when it returns to service, it could be a while before the aircraft receives full etops clearance and, initially, it could well be taking the pretty route to Cancun and Orlando via Greenland.
I think that Thomson will have to make a decision soon as to what they are going to do for the summer season as I expect they will be taking crews off the B767 to retrain on the B787. Retraining to a new type can take two to three months.
Qman,

I would agree with busdriver, PPRUNE (Prosessional Pilots RUMOUR Network) isn't the most relaible of sources and I'd take anything on their with a large pinch of salt given a good proportion of the membership aren't pilots or even professional pilots.

Qman wrote:
Presumably the 3 767s which were leaving the fleet will now stay longer.

There hasn't even been a delay announced yet.

Darren
Hi Darren or anyone else,

I had short listed a couple of holidays Manchester to Cancun flights for December 2013, when I first looked at them the flight was on the Dreamliner it's now just normal flights, should I be reading anything into this.

Cheers

Irene
Irene67,

No, you shouldn't be reading anything in to it at this stage, certainly not for the dates you mention.

Darren
Darren, busdriver has beaten me to the New York Times article. "It means that the 787 is going to be grounded for an indefinite period — whether that’s two months, four months or six months, the 787 is not going to get back in the air soon,” said Scott Hamilton, managing director of the Leeham Company, an aviation consulting firm in Issaquah, Wash."

There are several posts on Pprune saying similar things and how it could take a long while to solve the problem. When they have fixed the batteries you wonder what will go wrong next.
I thought you had said that 3 767s were leaving soon, this is what I have understood, it may have been posted on another site.
Darren can you tell me when the 3 767s which were to leave will be due for the D checks please. I think they are PJLO, DBLA and another one.
Irene67 wrote:
Hi Darren or anyone else,

I had short listed a couple of holidays Manchester to Cancun flights for December 2013, when I first looked at them the flight was on the Dreamliner it's now just normal flights, should I be reading anything into this.

Cheers

Irene

The flights that are on sale still correspond with the brochure, for planned Dreamliner flights.
The other 767 due to leave is OBYD to Arklefly.
Qman,

At this stage, no one, including Boeing, have a timeframe for how long the problem will take to fix. Anyone who is stating a timeframe is just speculating and giving misleading information. Unless you see Boeing alongside the quote, take it with a pinch of salt as it's pure speculation. The information coming from Thomson Airways is at this stage, they do not anticipate a delay but of course this can change depending on how Boeing and their supppliers get on with the problems they're having. There are 3 long haul 767's due to leave the fleet at the end of the current winter season as these were being replaced by 3 787-8's. I can't give maintenance information as this is commercially sensitive.

The latest statement from Boeing.

Darren
With respect, when the Dreamliner flies again will be down to the NTSB, the FAA and EASA, NOT Boeing.

For anyone wanting to keep up to date on the Dreamliner investigation, here is a link to the National Transport Safety Bureau's (NTSB) latest update regarding its investigation:

Please add www to the address below for the link to work
.ntsb.gov/investigations/2013/boeing_787/JAL_B-787_1-24-13.pdf

Furthermore, whilst Thomson and their internet spokespersons might be shouting "no delay", reports made from the latest NTSB briefings suggest there is a long way to go before the Dreamliner flies again and that "Boeing 787 probe far from complete"...

U.S. safety regulators are nowhere near finishing an investigation into a battery fire on the Boeing Co 787 Dreamliner, a top official said on Thursday, raising the prospect of a prolonged grounding for the plane.

Please add www to the address below for the link to work
.reuters.com/article/2013/01/24/us-boeing-dreamliner-idUSBRE90M0ZO20130124

Best regards
Can anyone advise the best seats in premium for Newcastle = Sanford flights TOM 618 + TOM 619 or those to avoid?
Thanks, Julie.
Julie H,

There are no 'best' or 'worst' seats onboard aircraft. Seating is very much personal preference. What I might prefer you may not. All the seats in premium offer the same basic facilities so it makes little difference which one you go for. It really depends if you want a window, isle or centre seat towards the front or rear of the cabin. Note than row 9 doesn't have a window. You'll find extensive aircraft information on our What Aircraft? guide (link below) including seat plans, aircraft and cabin photos as well as photos of seats.

Darren
Hi again my sister is going to turkey (Antalya) on the 17th September departing from London Stansted she would like to know what aircraft she is travelling on ? do you know ? her Flight code is Outbound: TOM378 Inbound: TOM379

Many thanks, Kane
Sorry to bother you again Dazbo HT Mod but i have been reading past posts and have noticed that Thomson airways are taking: G-OOAN, G-PJLO and G-DBLA out of service if so are there any Ex- FC 767's left ? As i would prefer them. So which aircraft will i be on ?. My flight number is :TOM 050, & TOM 045.
London Gatwick to Punta cana on the 24th May 2013,

Many thanks again, Kane.
Kaneohighflyer,

That is correct, those are the long haul ex-FCA 763's that are due to retire from the fleet at the end of the current winter season. I posted the information on here a few months ago. These are being replaced by new Boeing 787-8, assuming Boeing rectify the current issues and deliver them ready for introduction in May. The three remaining ex-FCA 763's will be operating as usual.

Your flights, LGW-PUJ-LGW (TOM050/045) are operated by ex-FCA Boeing 767-300/ER.

You sisters flights, LGW-AYT-LGW (TOM378/9) are normally operated by Boeing 757-200.

Darren
Hi Darren,

You've confirmed previously that we will only get a blanket and pillow in economy on the return night flight from Man-Cun, but can I just check something please - are we allowed to carry a small pillow (not a huge bed pillow) under our arm as well as our one piece of hand luggage?

If not, can we request a pillow on the outbound day flight, and will we get one?

I'm only asking because my sister always travels with a pillow behind her lower back as she has back problems.

Thanks.
cagzy,

As long as what you're taking is not on the prohibited list or subject to security restrictions or exceeds luggage allowances, you can take what you wish. A pillow along with hand luggage should be ok as long as it's only a small pillow. By all means ask cabin crew onboard to see if there are any available, there's normally a few knocking around, but there are no guarantees.

Darren
Thanks Darren, will bring our own small "snuggle" pillow.
Hi cagzy,

My friends takes her own pillow every year and has never had a problem.
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.