Spain - Costa Blanca Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in the Costa Blanca.
Everyone is entitled to their own opinions about the Torrevieja area, but if discussion in this topic cannot remain friendly, then it will have to be closed. :roll:

David
Well said David, I was thinking of giving Frank Warren a call to see if he could arrange some thing for some of our friends here. :lol: :lol:

Robert
I don't see the point of discussing whether Torrevieja was built with Mafia money or not. After all, Las Vegas remains a key holiday destination, and there can be no arguement about that place.

You are unlikely to find a horses head in your bed in Torrevieja.
I don't see the point of discussing whether Torrevieja was built with Mafia money or not

Neither do I, :wink: but neither do I like people telling me something is not true, especially when I have wrote it in here, and to the best of my ability, know it is true :wink:
So, with that I will leave this topic. :wink:
besos xxx
sanji
I think some places get some bad press from certain areas and it is hard to shift.
I am heading to Benidorm next week for the first time and when I tell some people that I am going they ask me if I am mad.
I am quite sure that Benidorm is fine at this time of the year and probably great for the majority of the year. No doubt it will have a little loutish behaviour over the summer months, but most large resorts all do.
There seems to be a general rise in crime and bad behaviour through out society over the past decade or so and most police forces are finding it hard to keep on top of things.
I think the courts need to get tougher with these people or else there shall be no deterrent to stop.

Robert
Thank you all for your comments.

I do agree that most holiday resorts have an element of crime risk and that common sense is always the best option.

I dont mind paying a bit more for eating and drinking as long as the food etc is good, after all it is only 2 weeks out of the year.

I dont drive so will be using taxi's / buses etc. Although this is the 1st holiday in this area I have been to Spain a few times, even Benidorm, and I am sure that we will enjoy Villa Martin as much as the other places we have been to. I am looking forward to the holiday and meeting locals and ex pats.

Thanks again and any other comments / suggestions are appreciated.
We stayed in a 3 storey house on Playa flamenca, and were told by the owner that if we went to a different floor, to make sure the shutters were down and locked, as well as the doors!!! And to take our bags/purses with us!!!

When we visited other areas, with brits in, while chatting we were listening to tales of peoples houses being broken into at all times of the day.

Apparently, these people know which houses are being hired out, and sit watch and wait!!!

Not a place for the faint hearted.

It really is a concrete jungle.
Kevmag.......There is no public transport into or out of Villamartin. It is predominately a golf resort. You will have to rely on cabs for every journey. The two squares that I mentioned are almost a mile apart.

Edit:-
I was there again this morning (as I am most days, my son goes to school there). The two squares are 7/10 of a mile apart.
It strikes me that being in Villamartin without a car is a little like going to London, staying in Brick Lane and only eating in Park Lane and Soho. Without the benefit of transport links.

My concern is that on your return you will share the unfortunate experiences that other people have voiced on this forum.
We will have a hire car when staying at Villamartin as we are not the type to sit around the pool all day but need to be out sightseeing so all suggestions appreciated.

We were however hoping to be eating in the plazas as otherwise one of us has to drive.

We don't mind touristy restaurants so long as they are aimed at Spanish tourists. Not keen on 'British abroad'. My initial investigations suggested this area is one where the Spanish go on holiday but it sounds like that may be wrong.

Thank you everyone for all the comments. Sorry I touched a nerve with my question but I couldn't find any other threads explaining what the problem is.

BTW Moderator - I can't find anything about Costa Calida on this site. Why is that? We were considering it but couldn't find much info anywhere excpet on La Manga
My in- Laws are retiring to the Costa Calida very shortly (Los Alcazares)
I think it's the same place. It's on an Urban development called Oasis, La Naranja or something, (not quite sure exactly) I've seen things on this forum about it and the comments were very positive, Sorry to be vague, I'm racking my brains to think where I saw them. :? :?
Ah! I think it was in the Ex Pats section, take a look in there.

Sue :) :)
Unfortunately there is insufficient interest in Costa Calida to justify it having its own forum at the moment. However, if you use the Search facility at the top of the page, you will find some previous topics including those in ExPats & Owners Abroad which Sue has mentioned.

David :wave
Dear Ole Daze

Firstly, thank you for your discerning comment that Our Restaurant is:
"The one exception is The Real India on the 2nd Floor in Los Dolses...the food here is superb".

But in your attempt in trying to be factual, you seem to have got muddled somewhere along the way. We would like to bring to your attention that our food is far from "pricey". And that the most expensive (ie: if you were to really push the boat out on the night!) Meal at The Real India Villamartin would set you back no more than EUR 25/head. Equivalent to some GBP 17/head at today's rate of exchange.

I think that for a 1st Class Gourmet Indian Restaurant (that ranks alongside London-based Restaurants like The Cafe Spice Namaste, Table, The Red Fort, Chutney Mary, etc.), The Real India Villamartin actually represents very good value for money. If you can demonstrate any UK Restaurant of similar Category that offers you the same Meal at a value equivalent to or less than GBP 17/head, I would be grateful if you would forward its details to me as I would then study it with some interest.

Besides, there are very good reasons why other cuisines may appear to be "cheaper" than Indian. But at the end of the day, we still firmly believe that: You only get what you pay for!

On the other hand, a really good Meal at The Real India need not be "pricey" at all! We have many a Guest who have enjoyed a perfectly delicious Meal within our Cover Charge of EUR 15/head (GBP 10.25p)! You've just got to know what to choose or simply ask for one of our Hospitality Staff to help you the next time you visit us.

And purely out of interest, it would be nice to know when exactly you dined with us, the number of people in your Group and what was the total of your Bill.

But one sincere request is: could you please be very FACTUAL about your True Experiences - whether dining with us or elsewhere. As it is negative comments like yours that may damage the reputation that a Good Establishment takes many years to build upon. Just like The Real India Villamartin where almost 95% of our Custom is by sheer 'word of mouth'!

We look forward to welcoming you again and soon at The Real India Villamartin.

Kind regards.

Bryan JOSEPH
Your Host & Co-Owner
I regard €25 per head as pricey in any country.
Bryan,

You have chosen to address me personally both on this thread and by private message.

You seem to have a problem with my usage of the term 'pricey', so I shall only use it where I think necessary.

Firstly you state that 'We have many a Guest who have (sic) enjoyed a perfectly delicious Meal within our Cover Charge of EUR 15/head (GBP 10.25p)!'
As a resident of Spain you are undoubtedly aware that there are many bars that charge half the price for drinks that you do, and will also include perfectly delicious tapas completely free of charge. Therefore by comparison you are pricey.

You go on to say that your cover charge is 15 Euros and that by 'really pushing the boat out' a meal would not cost more than 25. Any intelligent person reading that would deduce that your cover charge is too high"¦"¦ie. Pricey.

I doubt that your 15 Euros cover charge includes any drinks. It seems your idea of 'pushing the boat out' is to have a few beers with a meal, which in itself would bring the price up to 25 Euros. Sounds pricey to me.

You contradict yourself by stating that you offer a 1st. class gourmet meal and that you only get what you pay for. Therefore by your own definition your restaurant is pricey.

You criticize my advice as being non-factual. Maybe that is true. Maybe I should have pointed out the prostitutes and pimps that hang around the roundabouts on the way to your square, but exactly how factual would you like me to be?

It is in your best interest to have a captive clientele of unwary holiday makers for your restaurant and your only contribution to this forum is to defend your pricey restaurant. That is a shame. Your knowledge of the area could have proved valuable.
Oly Daze, if I go out with my wife in Glasgow for a good Indian meal I expect to pay about £50, thats with drinks, and round the corner from my favourite Indian there are prostitutes........your point is?
I have been reading these posts with interest. First of all I would like to say that this forum is for anyone who is a member to give there personal opinion, in my view that is what Oly Daze has done. Everyone is on a different budget and what one person believes is expensive another doesn't. In trying to justify your prices I think that you are overlooking the fact that in Spain, your overheads are much less than in the U.K so consequently in my mind the prices should reflect that. I live only about 13 miles from Bradford which is the Curry Capital of Britain. They have an international reputation and I can purchase a meal including drinks in most of their establishments for
£10-£12 a head. Personally I would not buy a curry in Spain as I like to sample the local cuisine which in most cases is good quality fresh food at a reasonable price.

Sue :) :)
I own a property in Playa Flamenca that I rent out as a holiday let. I have never had a complaint in the four years I have been letting the property and not one of my guests have been mugged or attacked! On the contrary I have received nothing but compliments on the standard of the community and how much they enjoyed their holiday!

The area is improving every year and while it may not be perfect - where is?

If you are looking for a funfair type holiday then keep away because you won't find it here. What you will find are great, clean beaches, friendly service and no language barriers. It is also a very cost effective family holiday, very reasonably priced and somewhere to completely relax.
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.