Turkey Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Turkey.
I always thought the Antalya area was the warmest in Turkey but last week whilst in Thomas Cook I was speaking to two of the agents who will be in Icmeler in October the same time as me.
One of them has an apartment in Side and said she went last October but had a lot of rain,so is going to Icmeler this year.
We have been to Icmeler the last 4 years in October and always had warm weather.
Last year we were there for the last 2 weeks of October and it was only on the very last day we got rain.
I like going in October as its so relaxing,and will be there again in 6 weeks time. :sun2
It depends where you teach in the country as to when your October half term is....I know ours is a week later than the area where my mum teaches. Anyway, last year we went to Side, and returned on Monday 2nd November (went out monday of half term, came back missing one day of school).

It was very warm during the day, warmer than we expected actually. But a lot more comfortable than July/August. Sea and pools were very cold, we didn't go in, and not many other people did! But wonderful to sunbathe in...although locals seemed to think we were mad, we were sunbathing talking to them wrapped up the thick coats and scarves.
It started to cloud over every day at between 3-4pm, and then it went noticably chilly....it was dash for the long shorts and light cardigans! Evenings and nights, we definitely, definitely needed coats! It wasn't actually cold according to the thermometer, but it felt it! Raki did help in warming up up though! Nights, we piled extra blankets onto beds, although quite a few hotels have air conditioner/heating so that would help - ours didn't!
And it definitely rained a lot! We landed at Antalya in a thunderstorm, the cases were soaked through and clothes wet (and ours were first off, were there before us so hadn't been out long). But halfway through the transfer it was bright and sunny. Most nights it rained, heavily! On one occasion in our first hotel the pool overflowed and reached the entrance to our ground floor room. And in the second hotel the glass ceiling above reception leaked, and reception was flooded! The storms which also happened every night were great! I love to watch storms, I'd love to go storm chasing, so I loved it! On one night, three storms collided in the bay. They also caused power cuts, the longest was around 8 hours, although most hotels have a generator (ours didn't). The whole town went completly pitch black apart from the hotels with generators, no street lights, traffic lights, or anything - quite eerie.

But it was arm duringthe day, still got a great tan, had a Wwonderful holiday, and would go again at that timne of year.
Thanks for your replies so far. I will be looking at these areas and trying to find a good deal. Thanks for your help Regards ESM
Thomas Cook had some great deals for October from Gatwick airport.
They even had Thomson holidays on their website which were a lot less than the same holiday on Thomsons web site. :que
We have been the end of October before, and had pretty good weather,sun-bathing weather in the day but much cooler at night. Our air-con doubles as heating but I'm pretty sure we didn't have to have it on. As others have said pools are freezing, although I'm pretty sure we went in the sea and it wasn't too bad.

If your husbands health permits its nice to be able to do some walking in comfort.
When we were the in October we walked along the path at the back of the beach from Icmeler to Marmaris, which was a really nice walk, and you can make that as long or as short as you want, because there were lots of places where water taxis were available.

The only thing that wasn't so great is the shorter days than when you go in the summer.
Thanks for all your replies everyone. Operation went very well today and he will be home tomorrow lunchtime. Just got back from visiting in brighton. Here's hoping for a nice break in October. Have a good weekend everyone. I know I will now he is on the mend. ESM
Glad to hear it all went well ESM and hope you get booked up soon. :tup
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.