33 independent reviews of the Fortina Hotel

Fortina Hotel Fortina Hotel is rated 3.58 out of 5 from 33 Reviews

Fortina Hotel Reviews

"Superb location"
Helen & Kevin (Helen t) visited the Fortina Hotel, Sliema in April 2012
The Hotel is in a superb location right on the harbor front in Sliema.

Check in was smooth and straightforward. Our room wasn't available for another hour, but we were able to leave our bags.

We were on the 5th floor, and our room was huge. We had 2 Queen sized beds, with a small balcony which overlooked one of the pools and gardens. It was spotlessly clean with all the usual facilities and toiletries. There was no charge for the safe or the air conditioning, which was a nice change.

Breakfast was taken in the main restaurant. There was plenty of choice from the hot table, with English bacon, sausages beans, hash browns etc. There was also plenty of cereals, fruit, croissants, meat & cheese. We had the dine around option, which meant we could eat lunch or Evening ...
meal at the hotel. We had lunch twice at the Thai/Chinese restaurant, which was superb. It was 3 courses and there was plenty of choice. If we'd eaten in the same restaurant in the evening, we'd have had to have paid 28 Euros pp. There was a reasonable choice of evening meal in the buffet restaurant - no repetition of main courses over the week, except for vegetables. They were sometimes a little slow in filling up the empty tray, but just a little patience was needed. Drinks were reasonably priced for a hotel.

The indoor pool area desperately needed a coat of paint and was in dire need of a revamp, but it was a decent size. The outdoor pool was closed for 2 days for "routine maintenance". Surely Easter was not the time for this to be undertaken.

Entertainment was diabolical and even people in their 70ís looked bored. After a few nights we gave up.

The timeshare people need to be stopped from operating at the hotel. I was actually phoned in my room to go to a meeting. When I gave a firm no, I was still given a free voucher for a harbour cruise, which we enjoyed.

Would I visit this hotel again - yes if the price was right, but it is not worthy of it's 4* rating.

Trevor Crumpton visited the Fortina Hotel, Sliema in July 2009
Well I was gobsmacked when I realised that the Palm Court has the same three star value as this brilliant Hotel!

We stayed at the Fortina for our silver wedding anniversary in 2000 and we were so impressed that we immediately made a reservation for the following summer. Building work put us off going over the years and we started to use the Coastline, another brilliant hotel.

However, SAGA now runs the Coastline and so we decided to try the Fortina again. We had a great week and couldn't fault them. In the past the entertainment tended to be poor but we were impressed by the quality of the tasteful but low key entertainment which we both felt was measured and right for this high quality hotel. If you want bingo, lots of audience participation type entertainment then the Fortina's ...
not for you!

If like us you opt for dine around the food and restaurants are just simply excellent. The staff are very professional taking a pride in what they are doing to make your stay a good one! The rooms are clean comfortable and the air conditioning works really well.

Some staff remembered us from our previous visits and asked about our son who was younger then but as would be appreciated now he would not want to be with mom & dad on hols nowadays! This is a cracking hotel worth at least 5 stars, in our estimation. We can't wait to return there again!

campbell had a holiday at Fortina Hotel, Sliema in July 2009
Stayed at the Fortina All inclusive 4 star for 2 weeks and hotel is badly needing a makeover lifts regularly broke down carpets in hallway threadbare and in places patched up. The room was spacious and well enough furnished pool area was also well maintained.

The main restaurant never seemed to have the linen table cloths cleaned and only changed paper tablecloths between diners. The chairs also badly needed cleaned occasionally. Food on the whole was acceptable. Food in themed restaurants we used was very good and these dining rooms were spotless.

We travelled with 2 children aged 16 and 20 and would appear to be no entertainment if you go with young children. The evening entertainment was at times dire and very repetitive. The staff always smiled and were very helpful when spoken to. This place is definitely not value for money.

Tour Operator: thomas cook

Irene and Barrie had a holiday at Fortina Hotel, Sliema, Malta in July 2008
HOTEL FORTINA & SPA
The all inclusive food in the hotel was of quiet a good standard and there was lots of it, we were both impressed with the variety of choice that you were given at each meal time it looked scrumtious and tasted excellent.

I did not see much of food snacks inbetween the meal times for the all inclusive, may be some times at about 4pm in the afternoon by the pool a small tray of sliced cake would be placed on top of the cocktail bar.

The hotel was clean and the service from the staff was good.

Shame about the lifts they just don\'t seem to much up to a four star hotel rating. They are seriously in need of some help quiet soon they are very very small not just in width but hight and a bit ...
ricketty to use, you\'d kept your fingers crossed when you used them.

The location of the hotel was briliant the views across the harbour over to Valetta was of out-standing beauty.

ENTERTAINMENT
The entertainment was only of a fair rating for a four star hotel ther was somthing different every night but it was not of a very good standard.

ACCOMADATION
The delux bedroom was of a high standard the two Queen beds and the spaciousness of the room was without a dought excellent.

DOWN SIDE
The only down side was the time-share scam that every one went through at the hotel, you were cond into it when you went for breakfast on the first morning that you arrived stating that you had to collect your free tickets for your harbour cruise that came with your holiday and also to have a look around the spa and also the five star accomadation that was available in the hotel that you could up-grade too if you wished. We were told it would only take an hour of your time not true four to five hours later they were still hanging onto you they even followed us when we went for lunch.

A big put off I\'m afraid but we will not be going there again.

smith had a holiday at Fortina Hotel in June 2008
this hotel has no entertainment whatsoever unless you count the time share sales who badger you at meal times.
food is on a par with motorway service stations as is the service id expected alot more having gone on the adverts in major sunday papers.

reading some of the reports id imgaine most are made by the staff or frinds there of would we go again not even if it was free.

Tour Operator: chevron

Allen stayed at Fortina Hotel in June 2008
We visted the Hotel Fortina which is divided strictly into two parts 4 and 5 star. We stayed in the 4* and the food was sub standard and luke warm better to eat out. Great views though across harbour.

Entertainment poor and mainly by the pool outside which was chilly and breezy during our visit.

Bombarded by agressive approach to take a guided tour of Hotel. Beware the free boat trips are a ploy by the time share bandits .If you can get away with the tickets unscathed ,the trip is worth taking

Overall we were disappointed with our vist and would not go back

Tour Operator: Travel Republic

dr Botton stayed at Fortina Hotel in March 2008
shocking borderline diabolical a complete waste of money id have had a better break at home.
Entertainment was nil i was bombarded with the hotel staff trying to sell me time shares 5***** this was most definatley not.

Tour Operator: mercury

Andy visited the Fortina Hotel in October 2007
Excellent Hotel, we stayed in the 5* Tower, rooms were fantasticly clean, as were most public areas (exception of Lido area). The location is possibly the best on the island. The food was fabulous (5* dine around thingy!).

Only thing we were not impressed with, was the \'lido\' area, not worthy of 4* let alone 5*.

I liked this so much I am going back in May 2008.

Tour Operator: N/A

Suzie Q had a holiday at Fortina Hotel, Sliema in September 2007
Pleasantly surprised. I\'ve just come back from a weeks holiday at the 4 star Hotel Fortina. Being a single mum with 3 kids, it was far too expensive to book the dine around programme and therefore chose the cheaper option of buffet meals only. Upon arrival I was pleasantly surprised. We had a wonderful room with 2 queen size beds. The room was clean and our room
attendant very pleasant. All our meals were in the buffet restaurant.
Breakfast was extensive and eggs were cooked in front of you rather that being prepared beforehand and kept warm. Pasta dishes are cooked in front of you for dinner. The kids really enjoyed their meals and had a good selection. The swimming pools were very clean and needless to say we spent full days on the front pools. The staff were nice & friendly ...
One evening, we paid a small supplement to eat in the Chinese restaurant which is on the 5 star side and in a blissful ambiance of a tropical garden. The only downside of the holiday was that we didn\'t really get to see much of Malta except forthe one time when we went on the Harbour Cruise. I did manage to escape from the kids for an hour whilst they were looked after by some friends we made and had a fantastic chocolate massage which was wonderful. Have already re-booked for next year. We all can\'t wait to return.

Tour Operator: n/a

DR Morris had a holiday at Fortina Hotel, Sliema, Malta in February 2007
Hotel Spa resort five star. On our arrival,there were insufficient staff to deal with the registration of the new arrivals. Room eventually allocated and then had to find it yourself! We had paid for a sea view, our room allocated overlooked a building site and which work commenced at 05.30 every morning! I had queried this with the hotel before travelling and was assured all building work was complete and that the clients were expected to have occupied before our arrival..WRONG.

Also be prepared to have to stand in a queue to book your meals in the restaurants up to three days in advance..oh and if you want to eat before 9pm make sure you are at front of the queue

Tour Operator: SPA TRAVEL

Mike Sturgeon visited the Fortina Hotel, Sliema, Malta in October 2006
We have taken many All Inc 4* holidays over the last few years and I must say that this one was easily the poorest.

Firstly the \'superior sea view\' room was in fact a \'rabbit hutch\' of a room and was extremely tired and the on suite was so small that we had no where to even put our tooth brushes. I understand that some of the more luxury ones had a shelf. After a few nights sleeping we were woken every morning by the construction Lorries passing the hotel at about 6 am.

We had a word with our rep and she managed to change our room to one at the rear of the hotel. This was much quieter and yes the rumors were true this ensuite had a shelf.

Yes we did do the hard ...
sell timeshare presentation and were given a tour of the 5* tower etc. 5* this was not. As one of the other reviewers mentioned, the quality of finish was poor and the concept of mixing 5* and 4* in the same hotel just does not work.

As an 4* All Inc guest supplements were charged in some of the restaurants and in one everything had to paid for except for the house wine. If you missed a meal time then that was tuff and there was no where to get any snacks.

However later on in the week we heard on the guest grape vine that there might be the odd cheese roll available behind the bar if you could manage to get the eastern European staff to under stand that you did not want a new type of

Tour Operator: Thompson

Mr D Gregory stayed at Fortina Hotel, Sliema, Malta in August 2006
After reading other peoples widely differing views on this hotel we really didnt know what to expect. We booked a one weeks all inclusive break staying in a deluxe garden view room in the four star part of the hotel.

The location of this hotel is superb,overlooking Valletta,close to the shops and boat trips and yet in a peaceful setting.

The room was spacious and exactly as described,it was serviced daily my only gripe being that they did not replenish the teabags, whitener or the minibar even after I requested them to do so. Leaving me no alternative but to help myself to supplies from an abandoned maids trolley in a corridor, also the hairdryer didnt work and it took 24hrs for them to sort that out.

I attended the welcome meeting and was told to collect my free harbour cruise ...
tickets from the timeshare sharks that were waiting outside the room, I told the aforementioned sharks that all I wanted was the harbour cruise tickets and nothing else my request was granted and I was not approached again during my stay despite them camping outside the entrance to the restaurant and cruising the public areas of the hotel througout our stay.

We only used La Vallette restaurant which had an exellent varied choice everyday and in which the staff were both friendly and helpful we had no problems and could eat as much or as little as we pleased.

All the other facilities were good including the bars,pools and the spa, with the exception of the adults pool in the garden which was in the shade all day.

The Putting Green has seen better days along with the lifts within the hotel which towards the end of the week were almost completely unuseable.

Yes there are one or two problems at this hotel but overall a good time was had by all, the most serious problem which needs looking at urgently is that of the lifts in this hotel.

We would use this hotel again in the future.

M.Hart visited the Fortina Hotel in July 2006
I have been monitoring this website since booking my holiday at the Fortina Spa Resort and was rather concerned with some of the reviews prior to our travel. Have now returned from what I can seriously consider as one of the best holidays my partner and I have ever had.

The Fortina operate two hotels with separate entrances. One is the 4 star Hotel Fortina whilst the other is the 5 star Fortina Spa Resort. We stayed in a tower room with a Seaview in the 5 star which, also shares some of its facilities with the 4 star. This hotel is not listed on this website for some reason. Only Hotel Fortina is listed and this is probably why our concerns initially arose.

Nevertheless, we rate our holiday as absolutely fabulous. Our accommodation was brand new and very spacious. ...
Our view over to Valletta can only be described as majestic. Our balcony faced south and was so large that two sunbeds fitted spaciously. The All-Inclusive concept is exceptionally good with a choice of restaurants offering divine cuisine that if offered in London, would cost at least

Tour Operator: Direct with Hotel

Martin & Chris visited the Fortina Hotel in April 2006
The best thing about the Fortina hotel was the view from our room

Laura had a holiday at Fortina Hotel in April 2006
A couple of days before my holiday, I was suddenly terrified that I had committed all this money and had no idea what I would fine on arrival. I eagerly searched the web to try to find out more and came across this website and promised myself that if all went well, I would make sure that I posted to help others as much as I had been helped.
I was very confused prior to my departure because the ratings were so disparate - the experience was either apalling or it was excellent. I am pleased to say that for me it was fabulous. I stayed in a spa bedroom and whilst booking directly with the hotel I asked if an upgrade was possible. I was told that they would try but it was not guaranteed. On arrival and check in ...
I was told that I had a spa bedroom with a private swimming pool. I was delighted but apprehensive and wondered if the room would look anything like the pictures on the website. I was pleasantly surprised to find out that it was an exact match and the room was spacious, the mini bar was well stocked and all the equipment and toiletries were fully functional. The best bit was the private swimming pool that you accessed via a spiral staircase and it took you up to a lovely pool with jets and shower and barbecue etc. It was just fantastic. A skeptic at all times, I thought that the service would be abysmal but everyone was extremely polite, friendly and most importantly, very hardworking. There was a safe and sachets of all types of treatments to use with the different machines in the bedroom, ranging from a therapeutic bath, jacuzzi in the bedroom, shower and steam room, Dermalite machine. It was just spectacular and really decadent. The cleaners were so friendly and would thoroughly clean the rooms and refresh the minibar etc. and any products used on the prior day. Towels, robes and slippers were changed daily and it was just very well taken care of. The rooms were cleaned impeccably and one morning, I watched the cleaner who took so much time lifting each bit of furniture and thoroughly cleaning around it.
The food in the hotel was really good and I ate in Taste, the Healthy Cuisine and the Japanese restaurant. The food was great. I was not too thrilled by the Thai and did not bother to try the Indian or Italian as I do not like those cuisines. It would have been lovely if there was a Maltese restaurant as I never got an opportunity to eat the local cuisine!
Since I had read all the reports of the cold selling of packages, when approached, I firmly told them I was not interested and they very politely retreated and I was never disturbed during my 7 day stay!!
My only area of improvement was with the entertainment - this was really non-existent and think the hotel should invest in this as the evenings are quite boring if you have made the journey for a rest but want something to do in the evening that is not too strenous. The gym was not great either but hey, as long as the machines work ...

All in all, I loved my time in Malta and I really loved the hotel. I paid a lot of money but think it was worth it. I think this is the reason for the disparity in reports. I think you need to invest in the best category to enjoy this hotel. It was steep but I had such a good time that I am thinking of visiting again for a long weekend. I really had so much fun.
I hope this will help someone else make the right decision and right choices.
Thank you to all those who posted before me, it really helped me to structure one of the best, most relaxing holidays I have had in a long time!

Tour Operator: None

Anna Brown had a holiday at Fortina Hotel, Sliema, Malta in March 2006
The hotel was wonderful clean and very wellcoming, the staff could not do enough for you and they allways had a smile on their faces.

The staff in the spa department were attentive and as I suffer from trauma induced osteo arthritis in my knees took great care of me. The room that we stayed in was gorgeous and cleaned every day and there was always tea and coffee a biggy for me :-)

The food was to die for and I can imagine that it would not take much to pile on the weight:-) The only complaint I have about the hotel and its only a small one at that, is the reps that try to sell you the spa bedrooms....my feeling is that we had already paid for a holiday and were there to chill out and not ...
be hassled and once I explained that to them politely then they left us alone.

All in all it was a lovely holiday and I would not hesitate to go back again.

Anna Brown

Tour Operator: Kwick Travel

Robert Williams visited the Fortina Hotel, Sliema in December 2005
Reception good, arrived in time for buffet lunch, food throught the week very good, good selection, staff very attentive.

There are various other restraunt in the hotel and you have to pay extra in some of them.Xmas day entertainment was very good, with various act throughout the day.

Car parking is very limited and double parking is the norm. Shopping is good,buy all your duty free locally, buses and ferries are quite near 1/3 mile near the shops.

Tour Operator: Mercury

Robert Williams had a holiday at Fortina Hotel, Sliema in December 2005

There are various other restraunt in the hotel and you have to pay extra in some of them. Xmas day entertainment was very good, with various act throughout the day. Car parking is very limited and double parking is the norm.

Shopping is good,buy all your duty free locally, buses and ferries are quite near 1/3 mile near the shops. In the entrance to the main restraunt ther are time share sellers and that is the only complaint.

Tour Operator: Mercury

David Fullard had a holiday at Fortina Hotel, Sliema, Malta in October 2005
We were, like almost everyone else, given a free upgrade. Ours turned out to be because our pre booked and paid for rooms had been given to someone else.

The staff were mostly surly and unhelpful apart from those in the restaurants around the garden pool area. The Valetta Restaurant, for 4 star visitors, is indescribably poor, especially at breakfast when it is worse than any English greasy spoon establishment one might have the misfortune to eat at!

The garden pool is unheated and abysmally cold due to its siting in an area that receives zero sun.

We were beset with major building work going on throughout the hotel and its environs. Our top of the range, expensive suites were only haphazardly cleaned.

Staff are simply overwhelmed trying to respond to myriad complaints albeit many should be sent on customer services seminars to ...
improve their attitudes towards paying guests.

This is simply not a five or indeed four star establishment albeit the food in the Indian, Thai and Japanese Restaurants was excellent.

Value for money? Give it a big miss!

Tour Operator: Via D Tel ad

Christine had a holiday at Fortina Hotel, Sliema, Malta in September 2005
This was our seventh visit to the hotel, but it will probably be our last.

The standard of the hotel has dropped over the last ten years, even though the new part of the hotel has 5 Star status.

We booked a deluxe Garden View room, but were \"updated\" to one of the new Tower Bedrooms. The accomodation was ok, clean , but not to UK 5 Star standard by any means. We were partly overlooking the building site next door, but this did not really bother us. The \"4 Star\" part of the hotel is badly in need of renovation, and is also not particulary clean,the lifts especially need some attention.

The overcrowded pool area at the front of the hotel needs some repairs, the sunbeds were dusty and there was quite a bit of litter around the pool.

The pool ...
at the back of the hotel, overshadowed by the 17 storey Tower, is very cold and almost unusable.

The food is ok, providing you pay the 4.50 extra to dine Al a Carte. The Vallette restaurant breakfast was very poor, very greasy streaky bacon, undercooked fried eggs or overcooked omelettes.

Some of the staff who have worked there for a long time, seem stressed out and overworked, the owner does not appear to have provided extra staff to cope with the additional guests. Some of the newer staff were quite surly and appeared to be more interested in talking amongst themselves than serving the customer.

Although we did enjoy our holiday, in our opinion we paid a 5 star price, but did not get 5 star service.

The owner needs to update the old accomodation, provide more sunbathing areas (maybe demolish the Lido bar and use the Cocktail bar) and get the Garden pool heated.

He needs to start using the hotel dining rooms himself in order to gauge the quality of the food being served. He needs to provide his staff with training in customer service and maybe he should start holding meetings with the longer serving members of his staff as they seem to have some ideas on how the quality of the hotel could be improved.

Tour Operator: Belleair