Goa Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Goa.
Thanks for the replies Colleen, et al.

All things considered, we've decided to do the double-dose course of tablets, which unfortunately means trying to remember taking them daily. Not what we wanted perhaps, but thought it best to err on the side of caution. :think

Cheers. :)
Hi All,

My boyfriend and I are off to Goa (Candolim) on 1st November and I was just wondering if we should get any jabs before we go?

Any advice greatly received

Many thanks
Forgotton what jabs you need so consult your doctor is the best thing, malaria cases here are on the increase and i would advise everyone to be prepared and take the tablets also lots of spray at night and first thing in the morning.
Cherry, you will need jabs for yellow fever etc we got ours and a booster this year it was bloody agony the kids were laughing when i fainted but better to be safe than sorry :rofl
As far as I'm aware you don't need yellow fever, only if you have been in a country within the last six months where yellow fever is present do you need it.

Debs
Consult your GP surgery asap to get their advice.

See below for a bit further info. I'm vaccinated against Hep A and B (but I also have that for occupational reasons) and Typhoid, and had tetanus, polio and diphtheria boosters several years ago. Oh, and protect against malaria (this, you'll have to pay for at the chemist, but find out what your GP recommends).

http://www.nathnac.org/ds/c_pages/country_page_IN.htm#vpr
upto date with our jabs, and buying the malaria tablets next month, we met some friends out in goa and they were told by their GP that they didnt need to tak antimalaria tablets, i think its best t ask your GP :)
upto date with our jabs, and buying the malaria tablets next month, we met some friends out in goa and they were told by their GP that they didnt need to tak antimalaria tablets, i think its best t ask your GP

I would seriously ignore that remark.Malaria is on the increase in Goa, being brought in by migrant workers.You will definately need malaria tablets.

Rather safe than sorry :cry :cry
Prevention is better than cure, and alot cheaper, my OH had malaria 5 years ago and apart from having 5 hours to live we had a medical bill of Rps60.000 as he needed to be in ICU for 4 days and in hospital total of 10days.
The government in Goa are issuing mossi nets to the migrant workers who live in shacks/shanties etc in the hope to contain the spread, if they are taking it seriously think tourists better aswell.
I have lived here for 6 years and never go out early in the morning or in the evening without spraying uncovered parts of the body.We have been advised not to take the tablets as they have side affects if taken constantly, but if your on holiday thats different. better to be safe than sorry and its not very nicwe to have either. :(
Just waiting for a doc appt , re jabs and malaria tabs . In the meantime , does anyone know of problems with malaria tablets if you are already taking quinine tablets ? I am sure that I read somewhere that you could take quinine , although reading all of the posts I dont get the feeling that quinine alone would give you much protection. :?:
Moose
Any ideas guys?

Went in 2006 but can't remember if we needed injections or malaria tablets?

Thank you so much :)
You need, Hep A, and typhoid and your tetanus and polio to be up to date.

They do recommend you take malaria tablets, we alwasys have done, and apparently the have been a few more reported cases of malaria in Goa recently.
Any ideas guys?
Went in 2006 but can't remember if we needed injections or malaria tablets?

Go to your doctor or local health centre - they may even have a travel clinic and will have records of your injections.
Yes you do need to make sure your innoculations are up to date. As Max says, speak with your Doctors or Travel Clinic they are best placed to advise
Hi

GP surgery advised about injections but seem clueless about malaria tablets.

What you all doing?

Going in four weeks

Thanks
whiskas
taking them...
i would rather have small side effects from malaria tablets than have malaria...
Definitely taking them. No way I would risk catching Malaria!

I cant believe your DR is unclear about the risks :really
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.