Goa Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Goa.
thanks for that tip tush, will try that.... we take the same ones...
Missxness,
The side effects we noticed were very mild, just like a slightly upset stomach.
I think this may be usual if you take them on an empty stomach and then don't eat for a few hours.#
Switched to having them at night and didn't notice a thing.

It is a lottery if you don't take them.
In Goa it is almost impossible not to get bitten by mosquitoes whatever precautions you take.

Steve
your not confusing them with chloloquine ones are you,because you need the both types i beleive,thanks
:wave:
Yes we buy both types there there is one that you take one a day and the other one is you take once a week :tup

Pip
x
do you know the name of them walks,thanks ,and ill get them when i get over there on tuesday :)
think i must be one of the lucky ones the... i didnt get bit at all.. :)
good to see your doing your research Princess :-D Only side effects me and your mummy have had are sometimes a slightly upset stomach but as others have said, its maybe better to take them on a full stomach. Ps, people are gonna start thinking we dont talk in this household :rofl 35 sleeps :cheers
Aye but if I ask you anything in the house.. you will just tell me what I want to hear so it doesnt put me off!! Where as people on hear will tell me the truth :D

4 weeks on Thursday :cheers
You do not have to take anti malaria tablets if you take a little common sense instead - go indoors at about 5.30/6 and shut all your windows and doors - when it is dusk and stay there until about 7.30 - have a shower and have a g and t in your room - then go out.
If you stay on the beach for lots of happy hours you will not get bitten.
Mossies are around at dusk and dawn except the odd little sods who creap out of the woodwork whenever.
When you arrive in Goa go to the local shop and buy a fly spray and if you are in Calangute go to Bombay Bazaar (any body will tell you where it is) and get a re-chargable bug bat for 100 rps - do not pay any more - no skin tax applicable.
I think narial, with the greatest respect, that the advice you're giving may be OK for you, but you cannot possibly know if other people will have your experience with mosquitos. Whatever I do, I'm bitten - although your advice may well help minimise this. You can contract malaria through one bite alone.

Chloroquine (or Avloclor) and proguanil (otherwise called Paludrine) should be started one week before entering a malarious area and continued for four weeks upon return. Check with your pharmacist les127. Boots stock and will advise.
i just wanted to know if paludrine/proganuil can be bought when i get over to goa?thanks
Les, Yes you can buy them in Goa,we always buy for the year ahead.
You need Paludrine (proguinal hydro.) and Avloclor (chloroquine phos.). In Goa the Avloclor is double UK strength so you only need one a week,but the Paludrine is same as UK strength so still two daily.
Should start one week before travel,continue thru holiday and for 4 weeks after return. :cheers Paula
ps....very very cheap!!!! :D
HI
yes milliemeg is right those are the ones we buy but i thought we only took one a day and not two :que any way i will check we take our only the day before we travel if we have any left our doc said this was fine because we have used them before and had no side effects from them, this is why they say take them a wk before you go to see if they suit you :tup

Hope you have a great holiday we will be out there on the 21st DEC cant wait.

Pip
x :sun2
thanks all youve eased my mind! :) :cheers ,will get them when i get there,ive took the avloclor that i buy each year from goa,and yes so cheap,thanks again
Les, Yes you can buy them in Goa,we always buy for the year ahead.
You need Paludrine (proguinal hydro.) and Avloclor (chloroquine phos.). In Goa the Avloclor is double UK strength so you only need one a week,but the Paludrine is same as UK strength so still two daily.
Should start one week before travel,continue thru holiday and for 4 weeks after return. Paula
ps....very very cheap!!!!

This is correct cheapest place is http://www.travelpharm.com/index.cfm/malaria/Products.List/category_id/27/subject/antimalarial_tablets

You must start one week before you travel DONT wait till you get to GOA
Buy half here and then the rest over there.
We took the Doxy (7Ad,3 kids) no probs and no deli belly, just a bit of heartburn when we got home for 2 of us
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.