Goa Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Goa.
Found 2 packs of Paludrine/Avloclor Travel Pack - 112 for £26.22 including postage does anyone know of any better buys? this from
https://www.thechemist.co.uk
use voucher code chemist1 to get 5% extra off
Why not buy just one pack to start you off(assuming that 2 peopke are going) and buy the rest in Goa.
We always bring home enough for our next holiday,but you need to buy them by their generic name,not brand name,it saves quite a few bob!!!!! Paula
Thanks Millie are they easy to get in Goa? what do I ask for?? (me=dimwit!)
Very easy to buy in Goa,every chemist i have ever tried has stocked them,but do shop around and compare prices.
For the.. UK Paludrine tablets, you need to buy Proguinal 100mg tablets,same dose as uk ones(ie 2 daily)

For the...UK Avloclor tablets, you need to buy Chloroquine phosphate tablets,but in Goa these are in 500mg strength therefore you only need to take one a week (UK strength is 250mg,so you need to take 2 a week)
We do this every year and have never had a problem,this year we paid 450 rupees for 100 proguinil and 7 rupees for every strip of 6 Chloroquine tabs. Be careful tho',I have been asked for twice and more this amount.
Hope this helps, :) Paula
MrFrostie

http://www.travelpharm.com charge £12.35 for a pack of 7 strips free postage :tup

Enjoy your trip
Mr Frostie

We bought ours from Travel pharm last year.

You may be able to get the tablets cheaper in Goa but to be fully protected you should take the tablets for one week before you depart for your holiday
Yes.I couldn't agree more. Which is why I suggested buying one pack here to tide them over until he gets to goa. :) Paula
that sounds like a plan..... I will order one pack today. Thanks for the advice
Sorry to hear about your Dad - unfortunately, once you have Malaria it's there to stay, all you can do is treat the symptoms when they re-occur which they will regularly, that's why its so important to avoid getting it in the first place.

Shirley
Thanks Shirley, we are still waiting for the results to come back from London UCL to see what strain he has, he has finished on the initial course of tablets now so hopefully everything should get back to normal.

Donna
XX
mrfrostie.......If you are thinking of going to Goa again next season,have a look at the sell/use by date on the Goan malaria tablets and if long enough,save money by bringing back enough for next time. We always do this.....every penny/rupee helps towards another holiday!!!! :cheers Paula
On our last trip in February the chemist said that the daily Proguanil are not required and that one weekly 500mg Chloroquine will give protection.

Hope your Dad's OK, Donna. I thought I had it a few years back. I got really ill a week after returning from Goa and had to go for X-Rays and tests but it wasn't malaria - thank goodness. It was a scary few days, though. Good Luck!
Hi - can anybody confirm that it is still possible to buy Chloroquin and Proguanil in Calangute, Goa? I contacted Travelpharm and they say that you cannot buy them over there. I was expecting to do my one week here with my leftovers from last year, then buy the rest out there. Can anybody tell me the name of an actual pharmacy in which they have recently bought them - as I'm one of these people who definitely wouldn't travel without them!!

Thanks
Yes FF I bought them only 2 weeks ago so you can deffo get them I took the .doxycycline this time and had to come off them after only a few days my skin was burning really bad with them so I went out and got the ones you want ......colleen
Hi - great! Thanks for the reply. Don't suppose you can tell me whereabouts the pharmacy is, and roughly how much the tablets were?

Carol
frequentflyer, Hi,go back a bit on this thread and I gave prices that I paid in Baga in January this year. :) Paula
Great - thanks! Found your reply - should've opened my eyes sooner. By the way - my name's frequenfryer (I burn easily and often!).

Hopefully, last question is - do you have to buy in multiples of 100 proguanil, or can I buy just a few tablets? That's been my problem with buying from Travelpharm - they'll only sell them in full packs.

Cheers
Carol
Sorry frequentfryer!!! Always bought in packs of 100 as we buy for our next holiday,but I am sure the chemists would split packs,after all..your rupees are what they are after. :cheers Paula
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.