Goa Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Goa.
For those of you that are regular travellers to Goa, is it absolutely necessary to take Malaria tablets. If so what do you take, as I have heard so many reports of people being ill after taking them, and spoiling their holidays. We are seriously considering going for a 1st visit next Easter to celebrate a 50th birthday, but this malaria thing is putting us off.
hi
firstly let me say i ALWAYS take anti malarials,but many years ago when in africa along with others started marmite and i always do now whenever i am abroad i put on toast in the mornings and have a drink before i go out at night,and it just seems to work for me in my last nine times ingoa i have had one bite,my friends and wife used to laugh at me but not any more cause even at the night market whilst sitting out they have had numerous bites and me none(cue smug grin)i am not saying this is a preventative for malaria what i am saying is seems to stop them biting you,so if you love it :D or hate it :yikes perhaps it might be worth a go especially if you are one of the people who will not take the tablets :tup
my girlfriend took malrone when we went and it ruined the first week of her holiday... feeling generally unwell, diarrhea etc... as soon as she stopped taking them she was fine. a couple of years ago she took the cheaper tablets and was ill off them too. i dont take them cant see the point. i know a few people out there who live there and others who stay out there for upto 6 months a year and they dont know any1 who takes them!!!

i did hear of someone who went to goa but stayed mostly inland away from the beach. they took the malaria tablets and still caught it!

its a personal choice but i think there a waste of time!
I have purchased Malarone tablets for going to GOA this year. On the leaflet inside the packet, it says that it should be taken with food or a milky drink.

Does anyone know if I should take the tablets before eating the food or after eating the food?

Thanks.
Not sure it matters but make sure you wash them down properly with a glass of water and try to stand / walk for a bit afterwards.
Always take mine with breakfast, never had any side effects at all. :cheers
I've just spent £102 on Malarone in Boots, not sure if I've been ripped off? :( Didn't know what else to do as I was really ill after the cloroquine/proguinal ones so didn't feel like i had a choice. GP recommended this and no others, sometimes wonder if it's all a con for the drug companies to make money? Oh well I guess I better get over it as I just want to be happy about my hol!
I took Malarone,,, no side effects at all,,, managed to get a two week supply from Asda pharmacy for £63 well worth it.
Sorry regular users not had much info on Malaria recently just need some advice as I hear there are plenty of Mosquitos this year!
What drug is less likely to give us side effects and do we need a prescription?
where to get the drugs-Boots the chemist/ on-line /or in Goa!
Last time we went (3 years ago) we did'nt take anything and caught nothing nasty -were we lucky or ill advised?
thanks for your anticipated help!

three weeks today!!!!!! :sun2
We always use malarone no side effects, you do have to pay for the perscription from the doctor mine charges £10 for the two of us, price £2+ per tablet but i think they are worth it, try boots online or Asda for the best price. Hope this helps. Gel
Mr Frostie

The OH and me always take Paludrine and Avoclor (Not spelt correctly) available from boots. They are cheaper than Malarone cost about 15.00 per person for a 2 weeks supply. You need to take them a week before you go, all the time you're there and for 4 weeks when you get back. Some people however do experience side effects with these. We don't if we take them just before eating in the evening.

You choose which is best for you, however some people take nothing at all and do not catch "anything nasty" It's up to you but personally I think you should take some precaution against malaria. Better safe than sorry as they say. The bottom line is if you catch malaria it can kill you.
Hi

Got back from a fantastic 3 week stay in Baga last week, Dad was feeling unwell on Tuesday (flu like symptoms) so went to the doctors, he has been diagnosed with Malaria, Doctor is waiting for the results (today hopefully) from UCL London to see what strain he has. He is currently taking Quinine Sulphate as medication until the results come through.

We don't usually take preventative measures when we go but I think this is the wake up call we needed.

Donna
XX
oh dear Donna. I hope he recovers quickly. Let us know how he gets on.
I am so sorry to hear about your dad Donna, was he taking any malaria tablets? please let us know the results and how he is.
Thank you Silver Angel, unfortunately he wasn't taking any malaria tablets, which he will re consider next year (we have been going for the last 7 years), I will of course let you know the results tomorrow.

Donna
XX
Donna just saw your posts. So sorry to hear about your Dad. Please keep us informed.
Thanks Gemma and Fiona, he went back to the doctors yesterday but they haven't had the results back from London to see what strain he has, he has to go back tomorrow (Wednesday) to see if they are in. Good news is that all blood test on liver, kidneys and spline are ok but he is unwell due to the side effects of the tablets they have put him on. I'll let you know as soon as the results are in.

Donna
XX
Thanks Donna. Your poor wee Dad :(
Keep us posted, please.
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.