Goa Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Goa.
Can you just go to a chemist and get the tablets?

Thanks for the advice
:D

Yes thats our 1st port of call but we have got some left from our last trip, so we will take them a couple of days before, we always understood that you have to take them a wk before but our doctor and the practice nurse said this is only if you have not taken them before just to see if you have any side effects from them. But you really need to take them it is not worth taking the risk :yikes

Pip
x :tup
Pip,

What do you get from the chemist out in Goa. I thought the only ones you could get there were Chloroquine, which on their own are useless. I wasn't going to take anything, as I never complete the course, but this thread has made me think. I am going to ask my doctor about the Doxycycline. At least that's only one a day and I might remember to take that.
Polly im so happy to read that your thinking about taking them now .. :cry you know I am forever giving off to you... take them take them (mrs ) :rofl
Our whole family take them, the wife`s grumpy enough without havin malaria. friends in goa just now bring us back tablets as there cheaper than here
I've been coming to goa for 15 years and never taken them.All the people i know who stay here long term don't take them.All the people i know that come here year in year out don't take them.But, there is a small risk of Malaria so i would never advise anyone not to take the tablets.It's all down to personal choice.

John
i always take malaria tablets, and i have been coming to goa since the mid 90's.
It only takes one bite.

My grandad had malaria, and died when my mum was only 16, so she'd kill me if i put mine and my families health at risk by not taking malaria tablets.

Some people say they make sure their children take malaria tablets, but they cannot be bothered to take them also. IMO this is wrong because it will cause suffering to the child, if you are in hospital then of course your child is going to suffer.
:wave:

Hi Polly
We get Chloroquine and proguinal one lot we take once a day and the other we take once a wk.

Pip
x :tup
hi
without a doubt take them,you can get them in britain ,or just get enough for the week before you go and buy them there you can get the one a week tablets,i have two friends who contracted malaria in goa one who sadly died he was staying near ingos the other at baga so yes you can get it take the tablets how much is your life worth
Like Jcbrum, we've been visiting Goa for 20yrs and like the majority of long termers, dont take them, I do use cream when out of an evening, to avoid being bitten however, whether you take the tablets or not, is a personal decision for each person. In the monsoon or in high risk areas of the world I certainly would, but in the winter season in Goa the risk is low, and the Doctors I've spoken to regarding this in Goa, seem to share the same view, but as I say, it's a personal thing and most people visiting for two weeks a year, will probably err on the side of caution Alan

like jcbrum
As Alan (Gramps) says we are all different and some will have differing side effects depending on which type of tablet they decide to take. I am one who has chosen not to take them, we took them on our 1st visit and the side effects were that bad it ruined a good holiday. We do however do our best not to be bitten by making sure we use repellent (Jungle Formula ) and one we got while in Australia (Aeroguard) also you can buy the mozzie coils if you have a drink your balcony in the evening....Keith
taking them...
i would rather have small side effects from malaria tablets than have malaria...

What side effects do you get? I havent started taking them yet but I will be soon (Going on xmas day)
Had my jags today at the docs.. one in each arm :cry Feel like I cant lift my left arm, feels like someone has punched me a thousand times :( hehe
If you take them when you go to bed then you probably won't notice any side effects.
what are the side effects if I take them in the morning ?
Been to Goa 7 times and took them the first time and have never bothered since with no effects.

Personally I wouldn't bother taking them, but others would disagree, it's a personal choice IMO.
i normally buy the ones in goa pack of six for six weeks (1 a week).(choloquinine),but im told you need another set of tabs to go with them (proguanil)?can these be bought in boots and if so how much,thanks a lot for any advice offered.im going for 2 weeks
Hi,
Yes you can buy proguanil from Boots, sorry cant say how much they cost at this time, as I have not bought any recently. But had to have them when we went to Gambia, only need Avloclor now as we go to the Dom.Rep on a our regular trips.

Angie.
:wave:

you can buy them in goa we get them as soon as we get there always take them with a little food.

pip
x
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.